Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks great, nice job!

collecting standard oil items
Tim Flannery
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Well done. Makes for a nice addition to you display.

Randy
Y
Y
Very well done, impressive. Since I have my own oil-can Island merchandiser awaiting resto, I have 3 questions for you;

1. any tips/tricks in getting the correct angles for cutting the globe holder rang, to fit the ANGLED slope of the top? (not applicable to my own unit, since it has a flat top, just for my learning…)
2. how do you achieve the ‘vintage paint’ effect? I don’t mean using a vintage COLOR, but rather vintage EFFECT?
3. Can you tell us HOW you achieved lighting that worked WHILST drawers and sliders open & close? Curious!

Just f.y.I., I plan to put mine on CASTORS; gives it a BIT more height, and then super-easy to wheel around/move. I did this on my Wayne 505 & 605, and now plan to use castors on SEVERAL items, for ease of movement, a cheap solution to significantly improve its no ability, for me, anyway!

Love your mini forecourt!
Chris

74E43287-CD71-4274-97D4-4B7EDDC7B470.jpeg
Last edited by Yellowzebra; Sat Oct 01 2022 12:30 AM. Reason: Clarity
R
R
So impressed by what your putting together here. I love how this will be jn your garage (and out of the snow) so you can enjoy it at any time. To be honest this reminds me of a Jason Shron out of Aurora who built the VIA car replica in his basement.

The Essex Super Six grille was such a good idea. I dont know what i liked better between the working headlights and the vintage 28 plate. I'm feeling like all you need to top it all off is a vintage highway navigation sign or highway sign (I'm a huge fan of the crown topped kings highway signs the province used to have in the 40/50s).

M
OP Offline
M
Hi Chris, the top of my particular Seloil cabinet tapers 10 degrees front and back. I contacted Jim’s Garage (buy my pump parts from) and asked for the closest fit pump globe holder. He suggested the Wayne 60 globe topper would be closest. He was correct, I just had to die grind the inner ring a little to accommodate fit within 1/8 inch. I added a home made gasket and that was close enough for me. Question 2, As the cabinet was already brown, I simply sanded it to remove finger dirt. The globe and holder I sprayed (Krylon spray can) brown primer. Then I simply brushed using a good exterior red paint, one coat, very fine to let some streaks of brown to show through, criss crossing strokes with the brush to give a rough,worn paint effect. Trick, before it fully cure dries, I spray can paint stripper on just some areas to lightly bubble and look like wear. If it bubbles to much, you can tamp it with a rag or paper towel to stop and flatten the bubbling. Will get back to you on the wiring, need to take some pictures.

1 member likes this: Yellowzebra
M
OP Offline
M
Hi Chris, wiring a little tricky to explain. I will show you what I purchased from Amazon (choose warm white). I used a power bar inside cabinet.Top globe I used a wire with it’s own plug, easier to remove top and just plug in. Ran light pucks from either side starting from top inside cabinet, tie wrapped down the back of one aluminum rods, down through a drain hole by base of cans, then up to power bar.Ty wrap excess wiring so not to interfere with removal of oil catch basin. Used third light puck just under power bar to light across the spout drawer opening, it just lights up that area a bit too. Not really needed, but had a third light puck to use. The remote and holder I just stuck on the underside of the aluminum roller door, first section, sideways, so it will roll up with the roll door.

CAD597E0-C779-4A12-BC7E-F0AE13A4C92D.jpeg 892C120E-46C4-4EC9-9FC9-1797AE07FD8A.jpeg F5D02A04-D5ED-42CF-BC54-2822430B7213.jpeg
M
OP Offline
M
More pictures.

ADCD984D-3CBD-4763-B39D-BA8051CDD139.jpeg 90B684E5-5F79-4943-AFC5-D266EC9B7EF4.jpeg 8DC98D6F-802B-4397-8183-867FB58ED80A.jpeg
M
OP Offline
M
Good thinking, I will look out for some Kings Hwy signs the next time I go to Aberfoyle market...

Y
Y
Many thanks, for BOTH replies; that gives me a lot to go on, appreciated!

Side-bar question for ALL; re-reading my original post to Mccoll64, I see another 2 grammatical/syntax errors, but cannot re-find the EDIT button, after earlier doing an edit?

Thanks
Chris

Originally Posted by Yellowzebra
Side-bar question for ALL; re-reading my original post to Mccoll64, I see another 2 grammatical/syntax errors, but cannot re-find the EDIT button, after earlier doing an edit?

The "Edit" button disappears after 10 hours from posting the message. It is hoped that any errors are noticed and revised within that time period. Before we had that restriction, we found that a few trouble makers would edit posts after a number of replies had been posted with the intent to change the content and make the replies look foolish or conflicting.

If you have an edit that really needs to be corrected, send me a PM message or email with a link to the post and an explanation of the correction.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved