Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
Hello Everyone,

I'm a new member here and just wanted to quickly introduce myself.

I'm interested in Petroliana as I am currently writing my doctoral dissertation on the history of gas stations. I'm developing a new theory on the history of American capitalism by integrating material culture methods and sensory history. By privileging the transaction over political economy, I hope to develop a new understanding of the ways which American capitalism is experienced and the meaning of that to our understanding of the relationship between commerce and culture.

As the majority of my sources will be objects, there are no limits to my interest in Petroliana - signs, pumps, attendant clothing, point of sale displays, cans/containers, advertisements, promotional items, anything to do with kiosks or architecture, paperwork, keys - absolutely anything!

Equally, while I understand the forum is primarily focused on collecting, if there is any one who owned and/or ran a gas station, or any one who has memories of a particular gas station, and would like to discuss those recollections, I'd be very interested to hear from you. I am supporting my object-focused method with more typical text-based historical sources and old images, and I will shortly be visiting the ExxonMobil archive to pursue that sort of documentation.

I look forward to exploring the history of gas stations and all the fascinating items that entails!

Thanks!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welcome aboard .. ... cool

RANDY
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Greetings from Nebraska.

Greg

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas. Best of luck with your dissertation! Be careful that the petroliana bug doesn't bite you!

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
Welcome

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome. Try and find a copy of Fill'er Up, An Architectural History of America's Gas Stations by Daniel I. Vieyra. I met Dan at the Columbus OH show many years ago and had him sign my book. I don't know if he is still around or not.
ISBN 0-02-007400-X
Ron

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved