Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#751174 Thu Jul 02 2020 12:07 PM
C
OP Online Content
C
I haven't seen any comments on the recent Mecum/Vannoy private collection that was just auctioned in Jefferson, NC. I was there and would like to share my experience with this Forum. It was an out of the world collection. Mostly automotive related but a mix of other interesting items, Guns, soda fountain, barber shop, movie props, toys, pedal cars, pinball, juke boxes. Over 5000 items auctioned. Five day event. There were 90 vehicles also. Everything exhibited museum like eye appeal. And was nicely displayed with thought and organization.The pumps were well done in restoration, maybe overdone with excessive pinstriping. Repro globes were noted. Pumps and signs were scheduled for Saturday. Pumps were sold individually or as an ensemble with an island platform with air meters, oil displays etc. Probably due to the nature of this private collection and the Mecum hype, prices were such that I've never seen on the pages of this forum.The following are the prices of some of the individual pumps. The prices include the 18% buyers fee. A shipping company was on hand to assist.

Tokheim 650 $16,520 Tokheim 650 $21,240 Gilbarco Model? listed as 1940's $10,620
Tokheim 36B with Stationlighter $16,250 Bennett 541 $8260 Tokheim 36B $9440
Gilbarco Clockface $16,250 Erie 753 $11,800 Wayne Roman Column $35,400
Canadian Twin Visible (looked similar to Clear Vision 700 ???) $59,000 Wayne 866 $10,030
Pennsylvania Penometer $16,250 Fry 117 $20,060

So I guess this forum will be seeing some pumps come out of the woodwork on the for sale section! If you want to see any of the items go to Mecum's web site. You have to get a password to see the result numbers but that's very easy.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mecum's audience doesn't have hardly anything to do with the real world.

Just a bunch of rich guys that just want to own something.

Not collectors like the members here.

JMHO

Later . . .

Jim

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Funny I just unsubcribed from notices from mecum ,where I had logged in to the motorcycle auction..

Have too agree with Jim most have more dollars than sense. This site is back to the real world.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Jim, that's not the real world. If you took one of those gas pumps and took it to any gas show and asked Mecum prices it would never sell for anything close.

But the point your making is that there are people in the world that will pay a stupid money and that's a fact.

Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Who cares if these guys have more money than sense. When you want to sell a restored pump you are trying to find the highest market. Point is how to get your pump into their auction. I know that sounds bad, but that is the world in which we live in. Like houses, cars, or what ever, we all want the most that we can.

Craig
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Money and perceived value vary by individual. Let it be a sellers market for the wealthy who collect cool things.
Maybe that individual can earn more way more money in the same period it would take them to have one restored. Pay a premium and not have to wait..
Some individuals might pay 'over sticker price' for a hot new car in high demand. Lots of examples of crazy Dealership mark up for the Shelby Mustangs and Hellcat's when they first came out.
Supply and Demand in a free market is a beautiful thing.

To some spending $30,000 to buy a new car is a lot of money. Others maybe $300,000 is a lot of money for their new ride.
One factor to consider is the string of 0's an individual's net worth has in it.

Last edited by smokey1; Fri Jul 03 2020 11:49 AM.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Unless you personally know one of the individuals that paid high dollar for a pump, there is no way to know if they are collectors or not. They did not gain their wealth by being stupid or foolish. Smokey1 got it right in the last two paragraphs of his post. It is all relative to your wealth. Just saying.
Joe

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved