Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
I know some don’t like the hobby lobby repops but I like them they’re cheap ways to cover wall space some of the signs are cool and licensed by the companies sold. They will be closing these items out for cheaper than half off . So get them if you like them. My local store owner is going to save me some when marked 75% off . This is a large Quaker State I got fo 29.99 75% off . I got a lot of them gulf union Quaker State etc I think I paid like $10 for them. The older ones I have they discontinued I got for 7 like the ok Chevrolet . Talk to the managers of your local store and see if they will let you know when they go to 75% you should be able to get 19.99 signs for 5 each plus tax.

image.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
It may be cheap but it's still a repop. I get that some just want decorations but I'll save my money for real deal.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Morgan
It may be cheap but it's still a repop. I get that some just want decorations but I'll save my money for real deal.
To be technical since it’s licensed by GM ford Texaco etc it’s real just fantasy. There’s some people who can’t afford the real signs. I mean I can but the guy workin on his old car in his shop wanting to remember days past but not drop thousands to do it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the heads up. I too agree that there are people who can’t afford originals and these fill the gap which I’m ok with. I have lots of car buddies that won’t spend/invest in originals but want to decorate their garage, these do have there place. Just hope there not presented as originals to the newbies.

Have gas all the time
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Good deal !! Blind can tell their ***** is from hong kong.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Do we really know they are licensed?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Jack Sim
Do we really know they are licensed?

Jack Sim
Jack lol nope there’s a hologram and sticker saying so but who knows . If you can’t tell the difference in a hobby lobby tin sign you probably shouldn’t be buying expensive signs.....that being said by a guy who just bought a repop luckily the seller is honest and is giving me money back and letting me keep the sign.

Jack ,

Really enjoy the check the oil publication. I subscribed and there’s some cool old pictures and really rare stuff I never would see just looking at sales.

Also wondering if you decided to put the gulf low lead picture I took in the magazine. I have a few more signs from the guy and some gulf dealer gifts zippo knife and zippo money clip with knife and file. There’s a note on the back of the zippo knife warranty says Christmas 82 gift and a name.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
The Main Problem is the Chinese garbage being sold as Old/Original at a show to unsuspecting people assuming they are Original.Probably Lead Paint from China.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
At the risk of sounding PC, the repeated assertion that this is all Chinese/Hong Kong ***** flies in the face of the fact that the majority of stuff is being sold by our fellow North Americans at auctions and online.
Over the years on this site alone we've been warned many times the stuff originates from India and Argentina as well as other places. We have a thread on here right now of one US citizen selling repro junk to all willing to pay. I stopped telling EBay (it made no difference) that the stuff being listed is junk...corporate America is complicit in the selling of this stuff as well.
And to top it off we've also had a few threads about some of the sources of repro sign manufacturing was actually in the USA. Kentucky and Tennessee being named a few times.

https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Standard-Reproduction-Laser-18x21-5/dp/B01LZJHA22

Like everything else, it's a little more complicated than it appears.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Gasman84470
At the risk of sounding PC, the repeated assertion that this is all Chinese/Hong Kong ***** flies in the face of the fact that the majority of stuff is being sold by our fellow North Americans at auctions and online.
Over the years on this site alone we've been warned many times the stuff originates from India and Argentina as well as other places. We have a thread on here right now of one US citizen selling repro junk to all willing to pay. I stopped telling EBay (it made no difference) that the stuff being listed is junk...corporate America is complicit in the selling of this stuff as well.
And to top it off we've also had a few threads about some of the sources of repro sign manufacturing was actually in the USA. Kentucky and Tennessee being named a few times.

https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Standard-Reproduction-Laser-18x21-5/dp/B01LZJHA22

Like everything else, it's a little more complicated than it appears.

I met a guy who has some repos that had me filled even right numbers like A 39 his Mobil and Texaco punp plates were sick . I felt like never talking to him he’s selling to dealers that sell as originals. As a collector and seller it makes me mad I think they should go to jail for fraud it’s a multi million business the repops . Argentina is getting some right now they figured out the fonts and backs and sloppy work because the signs theyre making are 10000s if real. the gas and oil real stuff could be multi billion.

That’s why I’m always honest about it . And people I buy from are when I learned the gulf was a fantasy . He gave my money back and I keep the sign. I buy so much and am fair with him let him know why I’m giving something for an item what I’ll have to do how long I’ll sit on it what I sell them for.though at sales if something is marked20 dollars and is worth 500 I’m just buying it.

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
just curious, did he or she say why they are discontinuing that line of merchandise

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by we're the other guys
just curious, did he or she say why they are discontinuing that line of merchandise

Nope I’ll ask I’m in pretty good with them. In there a lot if you deal in everything from charm bracelets to corvettes and restoration is part of it I learned a long time ago hobby lobby and tractor supply usually have the weird ***** I can’t find at any other store.

Speaking of that I couldn’t find alcohol based sanitizer, went to tractor supply for some cages for tomato plants and there was a full circular basket display multiple levels filled 3.99 . I’d beenn to wal mart dollar store Kroger target none tractor supply full .....don’t get I

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Last time I was in Hobby Lobby a year ago all of the automobile signage, etc. was on sale for same prices. I wasn't in there for that but it made me browse their selection.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved