Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#746588 Wed Apr 08 2020 12:13 AM
Done4 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Mods if this is not approved please delete, thanks.

I hope we’re all doing the “stay in place” and doing well. I’ve been pretty much in the house with my wife as advised for three weeks now but near internal explosion. I had to go to the shop if only to smell some old gas. Good news it’s a short walk from the house, been in the house just trying to keep her company, that wore thin rather quickly, surprise! I find that my mental day clock is screwed up which I need to correct. Up really late and sleeping late. I’ve been sort of retired and have never had to deal with this?

I know this is a tough time but the correct thing to do. I only hope my fellow gas’ers are moving forward through this thing and we all come out on the other side.

So with all that said “stay in place”, may you be safe and can’t wait for next pump to save and enjoy.

Am I crazy, maybe but I’m not giving up and will just have to adjust at my old age, ain’t easy but I’m going for it!

Have gas all the time
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Great post Les!
Although I can't imagine how you could tire of spending time with your lovely wife!!!! She's a doll and a half!!

I'm blessed in I can work from home and still get paid. In my 4th week of doing so. Only been out to shop once a week.

This sure sucks!!! Would love to go out to eat!!

God bless everyone and stay in!!! Stay home!!! Don't underestimate this thing!!!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Surviving here in upstate NY.
I'm what they are now calling and essential worker LOL. That's OK though I'd rather be working. Sitting home would kill me. I'm not a sit still person. we have the virus all around us here. We limit our going out in public for the most part except food/gas. Wife and I have been taking lots of rides in the old truck to keep our sanity...

Everyone stay safe out there. Lets beat this and get back to some semblance of normal!!!

Got Socony???

Tom
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm working from home like Steve so that fills up my day. I live in the country so other than trips to the grocery store, social distancing isn't hard. Been getting out to the barn some days after work for some time to mess around with this old junk. I've also been walking and running more with my wife than ever before too, which is good.

BrianH

Brian H
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Hello All,

I had been working the last 3 weeks since this really took hold in Michigan but as of yesterday I am now on a layoff. This is the first time I have been not working since I graduated high school 26 years ago. I don't even really take vacations, usually taking my vacation days as 3 or 4 day weekends during the spring and fall to go dirtbike or quad riding. By the end of those 4 days I'm ready to go back to work, lol. I've never had an "unemployment benefit", which I signed up for yesterday and the process was pretty smooth. So today starts the what am I going to do with myself phase of this situation that I have no idea when it will end. I have a few small projects in mind, but boy, after a week or two I'm sure I'll be going crazy! I do need more shelving to reorganize my can collection but not sure if I want to venture into the stores to get supplies. Our area is getting hit pretty hard, in relation to the surrounding counties.

My biggest concern at this time is the damned virus got into the medical care facility where my 96 year old Grandmother resides. She's in relatively good health and mind but was no longer able to live by herself. She's on the main floor and all of the cases so far are on the 2nd floor, where 3 infected workers were the first to show symptoms but had already spread it. Now 10 residents have tested positive and 2 have died. I just hope our family matriarch gets through the situation OK. I stayed with my Grandma a lot as a kid and am still very close to her. It's more tough knowing there's nothing to do to help, as they facility has been on lock down basically for 3 weeks. I saw her on a Friday, they locked down on Saturday, so at least I had that opportunity. My Aunt was able to Skype with Grandma on Sunday and she was doing well, just didn't understand why no one could come visit her. frown

Keep safe everyone and stay home or limit your contact with the outside world.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Darin, I hope your Grandmother can make it though this OK. Such a helpless situation when you can know about it but not be able to do anything.

My wife and I are both doing fine. She has made three quilt tops during the shelter-in-place and that has kept her busy. After they are finished, our church ships out about 15+ quilts to missions in foreign countries each year.

I've been staying busy as well. That keeps us from annoying each other too much. I posted a couple of my activities in the "Coronavirus quarantine projects" topic in the Non-Petro section. I've been re-organizing stuff in my collection that has been packed away too long. Scanning some print items and putting them on my OldGarage.com Web site.

Doing lots of prep work for our town's food pantry. Our big monthly distribution is this weekend and we're expecting an increase in recipients because of all the unemployment. Been hustling up lots of good stuff from the Food Bank in the city and local donations. The process will be much different as we spread out volunteers for safe distancing and require clients to stay in their cars and drive through. I enjoy the challenge and just getting out of the house helping people.

[Linked Image]

This is what 900 dozen eggs and 200 gallons of milk look like in our cooler.

milk-eggs-cooler.jpg

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
2 members like this: RetroPetro, advertologist
Done4 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Jim, thank you for what you are doing. We need people like you to succeed in this fight. Stay strong and safe.

Have gas all the time
1 member likes this: RetroPetro
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Done4
Jim, thank you for what you are doing. We need people like you to succeed in this fight. Stay strong and safe.
X2

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
R
R
Jim,

Thanks for your help and service to the community, there are a ton of people in need, good links are needed to get food from where there is excess now in foodservice with restaurant disruptions and those who need it! I am in the food industry myself on the manufacturing side. Darin, hope your grandma does OK very scary situation.

I have not left the house but with very few exceptions over the last five weeks or so... I was looking at craigslist to pass my time and found this Bennett 646 pump for a very good price right as it was posted, this is my first gas pump and I restored it to maintain the original patina. I was lucky the original paint was in good condition, and most of the parts were there. I got ad glass, a globe holder, and decals from Pergl. I spent quite a bit of time pulling out the pump, cleaning out all of the dust dirt, oil and grime on the inside and sight glass. For the outside I found a magic eraser would clear up the outside and lightly wiped the outside with gloss to make the paint colors bright. I was quite surprised the original cloth wiring was in good shape, and the switch worked, the only thing I am a bit concerned about is messing around with the wire in the top. I punched out the original globe knock out and the top globe light is not hooked up inside of the box (only the ad glass lights) but the globe light wiring appears to be present. I am worried that if I moved the wiring around to include this light hooked in with the ad glass light it may damage the original wiring. To get around this I took another light and put up in the globe holder and used a splitter in the bottom. It is a great way to display the NOS Sinclair globe I had already, it is ready to go in the bar downstairs now!

I was very pleased for the first try restoring a gas pump, I think I did get lucky with the condition on this one though. I may wait to run down some original contains lead porcelain signs to attach on the sides.

gas pump lit.jpg gas pump before.jpg gas pump globe.jpg
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Thanks for the nice thoughts guys, I appreciate it.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am still working everyday although I am not an essential worker. Our Governor has not issued a Stay at Home order yet so I still have to work. Been waiting for that to happen but it looks like it will not happen. Very quiet with few customers.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
We are still kicking don't know how long we been home bond seems like forever.
I went down in the country and mowed this last sat. and slipped off to the sons for supper the weekend before last.
Never thought I could recount my steps so easy. LOL!
Been wondering if Jims food pantry has been over ran. Sure is a lot of people in a bind.
Stay Safe All. Darin hope all goes well with your grandmother.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Since I live out in the country, quarantine hasn't bothered me one bit. Cutting down dead trees, burning brush, got both vehicles cleaned and waxed (that never happened in the past), and got lawn mowers ready to go. I go to town once a week for groceries and drug store. Gas tank stays on full all of the time now.
We had some relatives come to "look in" on us to see if we were okay!

002.JPG
1 member likes this: Gasman84470
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Been retired for quite a while now. Get up in the morning go down to the shop, come up for lunch, go back to the shop, come back to the house at 5:00. Ten gallons of gas will last me a month. Haven't changed my schedule much. Guess if been social distending for quit a while and didn't know what to call it. I live in the south eastern portion of Washington state. So far in this county there have only been 13 cases with no deaths. Everyone has been pretty careful. My only problem is that they shut down fishing season. Richard

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved