Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#740560 Sat Dec 14 2019 08:16 PM
RedHat Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I believe I had asked on FB the last time one of these popped up on eBay, the consensus was a fake. Seeing another pop up, I figured I’d ask here. Thoughts?

26573B98-C6AA-4395-B469-BDDBDAAE85BC.jpeg

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

RANDY
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I call it fake.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
along with all the others hes selling

R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
One on fleabay is real. I don't see any fakes from that seller.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by MetroPetro

I tend to agree with Metro. The printing looks good, the seams look good, all the other markings look good.

I'm not an expert on these handy oilers, but what makes some of you guys think they are fake?

And just an FYI, that particular Mohawk brand is NOT the same as the Mohawk brand out of Bakersfield, California (like the logo in my avatar pic).

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have been watching this seller for the last couple of months. He is selling off a very large collection of oilers. All that I have seen so far look legit. I have no knowledge of the Mohawk but he is offering to take it back for a full refund if dissatisfied.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

hammer down: 292.05 .. ... cool

sounds like a pretty good guarantee,

THIS CAN IS IN GREAT SHAPE ! ALL OF THESE CANS I'VE BEEN SELLING ARE OUT OF MY OWN COLLECTION OF 32 YEARS - ( IF YOUR NOT HAPPY WITH CAN FOR ANY REASON , SEND IT BACK FOR A FULL REFUND ) THIS CAN IS

AUTHENTIC

RANDY
RedHat Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Speedracer

I tend to agree with Metro. The printing looks good, the seams look good, all the other markings look good.

I'm not an expert on these handy oilers, but what makes some of you guys think they are fake?

And just an FYI, that particular Mohawk brand is NOT the same as the Mohawk brand out of Bakersfield, California (like the logo in my avatar pic).

Yeah, this the New Jersey company (Mohawk Refining Corp of Newark). Same logo on their other cans along with the tomahawk ones. I collect the company, wherein lies my interest, but have been repeatedly scared off from these because of the split consensus. It seems there is as many long-timers that think it’s the real deal as there is those that think it’s fake. Bummer, I’d love to add one if there could ever be a confirmation (photo, other records, etc.). I appreciate the discussion and everyone’s input, fingers crossed someday it can be put to bed.

6280007F-8D54-4E9D-8FC0-0962AFF5E90A.jpeg
Last edited by RedHat; Sun Dec 15 2019 08:31 PM.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved