Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
bjarte Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi Members

I`m a newbie and new to this forum. I am trying to learn how to spot the fake/authentic US 66 signs in the market. I have seen some signs I was wondering if is authentic and I would really appreciate if there is any expert on the subject here to learn me a little more about tell tale signs and if this sign is an authentic US 66 sign?
Thanks a lot in advance
kind regards Bjarte

ebay route66 sign

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
the sign is not old or original.made to look old,if it was original it would have sold.its best you run them by old gas prior to buying if you are not sure.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
By no means a expert but I can tell you there are more not original than original. Any time ebay gives me two more examples of the same sign its pretty much a given that someone is aging new signs.
Welcome to Oldgas!

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Try the search function at the bottom of the page .... use route 66 sign as your search words .... numerous pages will be shown.

Sometimes the best way to learn about items is to search it out for yourself on this great site.

Hope that helps.

O
O
Here is the guy who makes all the fake route 66 signs.His ebay name is beautyrest1 . I was his UPS guy for a while. He sells them as repros, but the buyers resell them as real. Only makes small batches now. He once sent some to several well known auction houses, everyone authenticated them as real !!!! I believe he made signs for movies (Hollywood) for a while. I know he uses glass marbles from the far east because they are hand blown. Another link to one of his "period correct" repros

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930s-STYLE-LOS-ANGELES-CITY-LIMIT-SIGN-W-CATSEYE-REFLECTORS-LG-32-TALL-STEEL-/391362689036?hash=item5b1f08b80c:g:9zoAAOSwL7VWkysw

O
O
As you see in the above link, he will have 4 repo route 66 signs in a week. They will be relisted ASAP on ebay as real. Guaranteed.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hello........I don't think this sign is an original however would like to hear other opinions in case i am wrong.....The screening & font looks very sloppy, however maybe they made some like this...the metal also looks to thick....Thanks much DT

route 66.jpg route 66 back.jpg route 66 side.jpg
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
imo real

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for your input & very interesting......what makes you think its original & old ?? would the dept. of transportation do make these with this sloppy font & numbers ?? also the shape of the shield, thickness of the metal seem off also...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don’t know street signs that well. I collect gas and oil. However, I have a hard time believing that this sign is real, with that sloppy of lettering. The two S’s are completely different. The U is a different height than the S right next to it. So many flaws, that it’s hard to believe it would be real.

My line of thinking is because I collect gas and oil and this would never leave the factory looking like that , maybe roadside signs were different, but I doubt it.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
https://www.aaroads.com/shields/salespage.php?state=TX

If memory serves me, Jake runs this site and is a great resource.

I vote fake.

Collect- Old Bakersfield CA. fence signs, Porcelain Dairy/Soda crate tags and shopping cart signs.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved