Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I really don't want to beat a dead horse, but I had to voice my side of a story.
Or opinion if you will.
I recently came across a Wayne 50 showcase pump.
So I purchased it. I had no intention of keeping it for a collection.
I have had five messages or emails leaning towards "condemning" me for being a "picker" and not wanting to pass it on without making a profit.
One guy said, "We don't need pickers in this hobby, we need collectors".
I simply asked him if he EVER went to swap meets. He has not answered me.
So this is MY reason for picking.
Up until about seven years ago I was a SERIOUS collector.
I had two strokes and that changed my life.
I sold everything except what my son wanted.
I love the Petroliana hobby. I love the people I meet, the friends I have made and the places my travels have taken me.
I love the hunt.
So I buy and sell and restore for others who love Petroliana.
I guess if that makes me a "picker", so be it.
If you don't get excited about finding something like a Wayne 50 Showcase pump, you are in the wrong hobby.
I hope the next owner will enjoy owning it as much as I did finding it.
I am just glad to see young people getting into the hobby.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Old Racer; Thu Aug 29 2019 04:23 AM.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just my opinion: I have actually known only one true "picker" in over 35 years of collecting. This older gentleman wore overalls, drove an old beat up truck, and could literally find anything. He was jovial, non threatening, and had the gift of gab. He never took the items home after "picking" them, but drove from one collector/dealer to another until everything was gone and he had enough money to get something to eat, put gas in the truck, and go to the dog track. When American Pickers came out...many collectors instantly labeled themselves "pickers" when they were actually just collectors who ran down a lead every now and then. A true "picker" is a whole different animal. They are in it strictly for the money . LOL have a nice day and remember..."It is all just stuff". When you are gone, it will belong to someone else.

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
John, You and I are old enough to remember a time before the interweb. That was when you called a person or met someone at an event, became friendly and talked things over " face to face." In the world today, an awful of lot of "unhappy" people [hide] behind a computer screen and voice their opinions about all sorts of things. Face to face, they would most likely not say a thing? This can be seen simply by watching the sad state of affairs our beloved country finds itself in....as everybody is an expert, on how to handle things? Personally, what I do is solely my affair and the thoughts of others mean less than nothing to me. In reality, these people have no right to talk to you or anyone else that way. When I was in the military...there was a saying...F***, em if they can't take a joke! It has helped me many times. Regards, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
John, like everyone says when guys come on here asking about doing pump restorations, "It's your's, do whatever you want with it and whatever makes you happy". This rings just as true with this situation. After reading your post and before reading Paul's, my first thought was "screw 'em"! So Paul and I are thinking along the same lines, lol!
Good luck!
Darin

Last edited by DWSheffer; Thu Aug 29 2019 06:41 AM.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hey John Thanks for having the passion the hobby and the connections across the nation to save this piece for others to own and enjoy. Keep hunting....Neil

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Hey John,
I am thankful for guys like you, your one of the great ones!. How else do people think this stuff gets to market, somebody has to pick it. As far as profit goes, that's what makes to world go around. I've bought from you many times and been very happy with the price I paid (all the while knowing your making a profit). Sorry you had to hear some negative comments.
Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
OK, I will weigh in. Left a post on here about value when it came up. We all will reach a point that it will become a burden to our family if we have enough stuff or no where to place it. So what if someone wants to go find something and then sell it. It just makes the job easier for guys like me now who do not have the time or energy to go out and beat the bush as I did when I was younger. If you do not like the price, then move on. He did the work and found it. Congrats and hope John finds another to help someone else in the hobby get there pump of dreams.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I had three friends that called themselves pickers. I called them friends and a great resource. Without them many of my treasured pieces would not be in my collection. As for the profit side they invested a lot of time and money to find this stuff. Unfortunately the title "picker" has changed but the bottom line we need guys like you out there doing what we can't and I'm damn happy you are. Thanks John.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
You guys humble me.
THANK YOU so much for the support. YOU are the reason I love this hobby.
I am 74 now and I know I should not let these people bother me.
I love hunting the stuff, buying and selling and the face on people when they come to pick things up.
THOSE are the people that make the hobby!
Thanks.

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Hello John ,

Guys Like you Make this Site & stuff you find Great ,

I want to thank you for the items I have Bought from you the last Items Got here Fast and all Looked Very Good

Thanks

Sid

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Picker or Plucker! A plucker is one that beats the bushes finding this stuff,and has a true love for this hobby.
We need Pluckers in this hobby.
You probably never got so beat up on other pumps(average pumps).
They are just upset that this one is out of their grasp.

Imagine a show like Iowa Gas with no pluckers!
Keep your chin up.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Old school pickers and collectors who sell are far different from the new breed of pickers who are easily fooled by fakes and ask 3 times retail for their items found in plain sight. You have too much knowledge and passion for the hobby to be a new breed picker.

I miss the now deceased picker who sold me a dozen items over the years. He would remember what I liked and would let me know when he found something that fit my interests. He found items for me that I have never seen for sale elsewhere.

Shake it off, John. Consider the source of harsh criticism. If they don't have the unblemished standing to be taken seriously, don't listen.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Hey John, it’s Jim from Reedsburg. We had a long talk on the phone when you were driving back from snagging that pump out from under me in Reedsburg (messing with you).

Don’t let other people bother you with their opinions. Often times, I think it is jealousy anyways. It’s your life and you getting a good deal on a Wayne 50 and reselling doesn’t affect me in the least so I couldn’t care less. Good for you if you make some good money on it. We all need to worry more about ourselves and not worry about what someone else is doing, especially when it has nothing to do with us.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Jim.

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Jim Potts, I know there are a lot of great younger guys getting into this hobby and I'm happy for that. These were only five emails out of now hundreds of comments and views were people appreciate what we have and what we do.
I will just try to keep that in mind going forward. I promise everyone it will not deter me from looking for great items and passing them on to friends and associates in the hobby.

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved