Next Thread
Print Thread
#726773 Sat Mar 16 2019 05:59 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I have a friend that's looking to buy a Southwest Gulf 1960's pump. The pump has Golf decals front and back. His question is: did Gulf ever use decals on these pumps, or only porcelain plates? Thanks for any help!

gulf pumps.jpg
picture taken from web for reference

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...is your friend's pump original? 'restored'?

...possibly decals were used later, in transition during a reimaging (or for specialty fuels, for which signs were not produced) but porcelain signs were the standard when the pumps pictured were in use...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
The pump he's looking at is restored, but he would like to stay as original as possible. Having said that, I don't see reproduction plates offered for sale.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Savinsam
The pump he's looking at is restored, but he would like to stay as original as possible. Having said that, I don't see reproduction plates offered for sale.

...why use repros? Affordable originals are readily available in nice condition...

...also, I remembered that I have some Gulf Kerosene water transfer decals that look exactly like the trapezoidal pump signs that were used by Gulf...whether they were used earlier (while waiting on delivery of the signs?) or later, I don't know...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Okay, Gulfiend, thanks for the info. I'll pass this onto him and let him decide which way to go if he buys the pump.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...no worries!

...one other thing: the painted portions of those pumps were originally solid white with a blue base...apparently, some Marine paint schemes were solid blue - but I've never seen a photo of one in use...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved