Next Thread
Print Thread
#725613 Wed Feb 27 2019 01:24 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I've sold and shipped many small oil cans over the years, but never shipped a 2 gallon rectangular empty can. So, what's the best way to pack 2 gallon cans. Thanks!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sam,
When ever I ship about any oil can I line the box with 1" foam insulation and put the can in a plastic bag in case of any accidental leakage. I have never had any issues. I get the foam insulation from work for free since we have parts that come in packed in it.

Got Socony???

Tom
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...a great place to get sheet styrofoam is a furniture store - sometimes you can get large sheets used for shipping table tops, dressers, etc...it's insane to think how much of it is used once in shipping a cheap table from China to the US, and then it goes into the garbage...reusing it even once helps keep it out of the landfill for a little while longer, anyway...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Okay, I have access to foam board, but is there a standard box that you use? Or whatever I can find? Thanks.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If your shipping USPS, my favorite boxes are Walmart’s 12”x12”x10.5”. They’re cheap, sturdy and with USPS price hikes happening on any package with a side longer than 12”, you can ship it right at the limit. Gives a good amount a room all the way around, too.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
RedHat #725716 Thu Feb 28 2019 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I might be wrong - I don't have a 2-gallon can nearby to measure - but it seems like a 12" box doesn't leave much room for the foam packing material...

...I've shipped 2 gallon cans in these:

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes/Standard-Sized-Moving-Boxes/Small-Moving-Box/?id=3245

...liquor store boxes are pretty good, too...they're usually holding glass so they're made well...only downside is you have to the wrap the box or turn it inside out...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You’re probably right, gulfiend. I might be thinking of the wrong size 2 gal, I’m not positive which type rectangle refers to. Those are just my go-to with USPS because of the over-12” price hike. With how they treat packages nowadays, the more room the better.

Last edited by RedHat; Thu Feb 28 2019 10:25 PM.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
RedHat #725921 Mon Mar 04 2019 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by RedHat
With how they treat packages nowadays, the more room the better.

...sadly true...

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Two gallon cans are sensitive to temp changes. Not heating my garage mine would pop and suck in slightly then as temp changed they would pop and carry on.
Leaving the tops lose helps this somewhat,I have mine just sitting on top. Maybe something you want to do when packing. I have brought this up before and no one else commented so maybe its just me and my garage?

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Thanks Loyd and the rest of you for your advice. Loyd, I don't remember seeing your old posts about cans "talking" with temperature change, but I surely know what you're referring to. I too kept most of my cans on shelves in my outside workshop. It would get pretty cold in there when not in use. But when I'd turn on the furnace, about 5 minutes later, the cans would start popping and turn into what I called my "oil can symphony orchestra"! It was kind of fun to hear the different sounds. Anyway, I now understand what you mean about loosening the lids when shipping. Thanks!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Loyd Pierce
Two gallon cans are sensitive to temp changes. Not heating my garage mine would pop and suck in slightly then as temp changed they would pop and carry on.
Leaving the tops lose helps this somewhat,I have mine just sitting on top. Maybe something you want to do when packing. I have brought this up before and no one else commented so maybe its just me and my garage?

Haha yea you’re not the only one. I’ve experienced this with French 2 liters in my house, scaring the absolute ***** out of my dog. There is literally nothing she fears more than that sound, it’s kinda funny. I’ve seen some people put pin holes in the tops or bottoms and have tried it once with good results not hearing a pop from the can again. Not sure what that would do to the value of 2 gallons so I can’t recommend it I only considered it for my dog’s sanity and as I’ve had French 2 liter cans dent themselves from the temp changes. French can spouts can be longer so untwisting the top doesn’t always work for them, unfortunately.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved