Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
hawkike #714487 Mon Aug 06 2018 06:15 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Dallas,
I don't know if you used the search box to look for older posts on telling the originals from repros on the Standard signs, but I had posted on one of those threads the easiest way I know to check.
The corners on the repros are sharper than originals, so I told about the "half dollar test". The curve of an original sign corner follows the curve of a US half dollar coin exactly. On a repro it will not, it's too sharp. I had posted photos in that thread as well, but I'm not sure with the age of the thread if it will still show the photos.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #714507 Mon Aug 06 2018 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by DWSheffer
Dallas,
I don't know if you used the search box to look for older posts on telling the originals from repros on the Standard signs, but I had posted on one of those threads the easiest way I know to check.
The corners on the repros are sharper than originals, so I told about the "half dollar test". The curve of an original sign corner follows the curve of a US half dollar coin exactly. On a repro it will not, it's too sharp. I had posted photos in that thread as well, but I'm not sure with the age of the thread if it will still show the photos.
Darin

Thank's Darin. This website seems to reject my photos everytime I try to post them. I can Email them I guess. Juat nice to get a second opinion. Mine definitely have the wider radius corners like Hawkike's. Hard for me to come across a half dollar here in Canada! Haha. I don't think I even have one in any American coins I got.

Will search up your older threads and see if I can find it. I sure appreciate your help!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved