Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#693323 Mon Aug 28 2017 09:41 AM
N
OP Offline
N
I was hoping to start reproducing some of the cooler petro signs but wasn't sure if I could get into legal trouble. I found this awesome post on here regarding the history of the company (Johnson Oil Refining Co.) but no definitive answers. Just wanted to see if anyone here had an idea!
Really like the winged Johnson Gasolene sign.
Appreciate you time. Thank you.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
We don't need anymore reproductions out there.

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
My sentiments exactly!

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
please find a different activity,

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ha, not a good place to look for answers on making reproduction signs!! If you look around eBay you will find repop's of any sign your wanting. Chris

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Not sure there is 1 person on this site that would suggest making reproduction signs is a good idea. IMO reproduction signs provide an opportunity for the unscrupulous individual to "artificially age" or to "strategically damage" the porcelain where any maker's mark would have been. This creates victims of fraud downstream from every one of these reproduction signs. I realize that is not your intent, but it is one of those "unintended yet predictable" consequences. For the sake of the hobby, don't do it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
And with lawsuits pending already on some repop signs, it reminds me of the days when Harley Davidson would show up to shows and destroy or confiscate all their repop items!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Natalie; if you do decide to reproduce Johnson Oil Signage...

I, as a very Long time Collector of Petro Items; ask that you permanently mark the signs you either make or consign to an "outside Source"... By marking your creations in a meaningful way such as: a small screened note, stating that an item is not original; along with the actual Year date of Manufacturer. Something not easily removed by anyone who is wanting to "cheat the Public"...Preferably on the front of the sign...

Far too many in the Petro Hobby are quite young (as in time in the Hobby) and do not know or do not remember that "Fake and Fantasy" Petro Signs has been around since the early 1900s...

And before the early 1980s; none of these Signs were marked as "Fakes"... (as most of the so called Reproduction Signage; did not correspond to actual "Original Authentic" Signs...) Now, more and more "Fake Signs are being sold; without any markings so show that the Signs, are new Creations"

You will go a long way in the Marketplace if you consider and respond in a "Respectful Manner to those that do Collect actual Authentic Petro Items. As a "fake sign" that is not marked as such can easily be advertised as an original; in the future...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
^^^^^^^ well said^^^^^^^ heed this advise. I'm sure your intentions are good but do the right thing, thanks.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seems as the last name is Johnson, and they are probably only looking for one or two signs to hang in the garage? Just look around and you will find some repo's... probably wouldn't be worth your time to have some made. Chris

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
First off everyone who has responded probably looked at your profile before posting because repo signs is a big deal in our hobby as they at somepoint will effect us in some form. According to the post from 2004 Johnson assets was sold and rebranded in 1956. I doubt there would be any one to give you any trouble. That being said I agree with Chris with as much repos already on the market it wouldn't be worth you set up fees to do.
If you go on with your plan as everyone else has said please mark and advertise as not original.If you have a real talent you would be a real hero to channel it other than making fakes of real collectables.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Mon Aug 28 2017 08:10 PM.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are enough people reproducing signs and destroying this hobby. We do not need any more people ruining a good thing.

Respectfully being honest, Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Mon Aug 28 2017 08:09 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved