Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#688952 Wed Jun 21 2017 10:38 AM
OP Offline
I was double checking the placement of the signs on the front panel. The previous holes on mine I had repaired since they did not align with with my signs but assume the general placement is correct?

IMG_20170620_133247990.jpg

Vintage car restorer/collector with a love for all things old.. Too many toys never enough room.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Your placement seems too high to me? I think the pump plates should be lower. I usually measure up from the bottom in odd numbers until I find the correct look. Try 9" then 11" then 13" or more. I think you will find the pump looks better if the signs are lower. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paul -Just curious here-Why odd numbers?

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
These signs have been repro, which of the signs above our original or which are repros?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
OP Offline
Originally Posted By gasmansgp
Your placement seems too high to me? I think the pump plates should be lower. I usually measure up from the bottom in odd numbers until I find the correct look. Try 9" then 11" then 13" or more. I think you will find the pump looks better if the signs are lower. Paul www.severngaspumps.com
I thought so too but measured placement on other pumps that "looked" original like the one posted and it is pretty darn close. You can kind of see where my original holes were on this backside photo. may be a hair lower. May be the angle I took the original picture also.

IMG_20170620_120235513_1_.jpg pump22.jpg
Last edited by chevy350; Wed Jun 21 2017 11:01 PM.

Vintage car restorer/collector with a love for all things old.. Too many toys never enough room.
OP Offline
Originally Posted By Jack Sim
These signs have been repro, which of the signs above our original or which are repros?

Jack Sim
It would be nice to have a set of originals... but boy they are not cheap.. Repros on this are fine for me.

G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By JimT
Paul -Just curious here-Why odd numbers?
Jim, Over the years, I have measured original sign locations from the pumps restored. Just about all used odd numbers up from the bottom. I don't know why but they did? Since it worked for all these folks who came before me, I adopted the method. Check out all the pumps we have restored and you will see where we located the signage using this method. Regards, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved