Next Thread
Print Thread
G
GHH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
I'm sure this has been discussed but what is the best way to remove a glass cylinder without damaging it?
Thanks

G. H. H A T L E Y
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
GHH
read the first forum it will be helpful FAQs
Bill

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Very slowly and don't ever grab the cylinder to see if it is loose, let the cylinder tell you it is loose.

Just pick away at the caulking very slowly.

I remember doing this on a St. Louis Pump and it still broke, there is a lot of pressure on that piece of glass.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't screw with it unless it is absolutely necessary. I've seen them break one hour after removal. They are some strange animals. Have some Kleenex handy just in case you hear a "tink" sound. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
On the other side, I spoke with a restorer that reportedly has removed 30 glass cylinders and never broke one. I would err on the side of caution and leave it alone. If you want to know how to clean out the interior of the cylinder without removing it, send me a PM.
Joe

G
GHH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
So I will be leaving the cylinders alone!. I figured there is a lot of pressure on that sucker and its better to have a almost perfect restoration and a slightly dirty cylinder then a busted cylinder.

model72 PM sent

G. H. H A T L E Y
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know of a couple cylinders that cracked just because the surroundings had changed... On one pump I sold, (it was out in an uninsulated "Shop/Garage/Outbuilding", when I sold it) the new Owners put it in their Basement... During the Summer months with the heat off and the basement being cool and more air flow because of open windows and such, the cylinder was as stable as it was in the Shop Building...

But, as Winter progressed and the Owners turned up the heat and had fires in the fireplace.... I got the call....

They ended up putting an acrylic cylinder in the place of the glass... (the acrylic wasn't/isn't as sensitive to changes in pressure, temps... etc..)

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
G
GHH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
At first I did not like the idea of acrylic cylinders, but they seem to be becoming a more accepted practice in restorations due to the fragility, price, and surprising nature of glass cylinders.

G. H. H A T L E Y
J
J
I restore pumps and have for 25+ years , removed 30 or more cylinders and sight glasses ,never broke any even ones with a crack all the way around top , That being said it happens and I may be just lucky , If you are going to restore the pump and do it right it really needs to come out, If you are not restoring it leave it ,original cylinders are drying up and going up in price like the pumps , Dan and Vicky at petro nutz have some great cylinders new , tinted / numbers etched , look on their site. I would never use acrylic in a rare pump , just common ones 615s exc good luck

High quality restorations , Body and paint guy
G
GHH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Would you please enlighten me on how you have removed all these cylinders without any problems?
I have an acquaintance that can supply me with glass cylinders but thanks for the contact info

G. H. H A T L E Y
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
On pumps that the cylinder is set into a cast iron seat, ie: Gilbert and Barker, etc; use lacquer thinner and a small hooked pick. Fill the area where the glass seating caulk is. Let sit until softened. [ CAREFULLY ] run the pick into the area removing the glycerin caulk. This material has lead so wear a respirator. Be sure to hold the curved part of the pick away from the glass to avoid scratching it which can cause it to crack. Repeat until loose. On a FRY, the cylinder sets down over the cast iron base, in all the ones that I have restored. The glass is set into a spun metal base. In this case, use the thinner around the base to soften the cork gasket. Then take a very thin putty knife, one that has the blade made into the handle, and tap it [ CAREFULLY ]. Tap the knife between the cast iron pump and the metal base working from side to side. Work slowly and the glass will separate from the cast iron. You need to try these things out for yourself. That is how many of us learned. Never be afraid to make mistakes, that is called learning. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Last edited by gasmansgp; Wed Apr 27 2016 03:14 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Never try to remove the metal rings from a Fry cylinder. You are asking for trouble. Several years ago in a Petroliana book the author suggested removing the litharge with a broken hack saw blade. This is a recipe for disaster.You do not want to learn this lesson. lol Dave

Last edited by Catauladave; Wed Apr 27 2016 03:42 AM.

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved