Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#633981 Wed Oct 21 2015 06:16 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Guys:
A real good friend of mine purchased a Lubest Penn 2 gallon can at a small weekly auction a couple weeks back and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it other than it being from the Brown Lynch Scott Company. I did a google search to find that this was a mail order department store located in Monmouth, Illinois, but that is all. The person selling the can at auction said that it came off his uncle's farm south of Des Moines and he knew nothing else. The can has a picture of a Devil figure at the top pouring oil from a metal pitcher with a flexible spout down into the engine of a mid 30's car with the hood raised from the side. It is one cool looking can.

I have pictures of it on my phone and could send them to someone if they could post them on here, but I have no idea how to post them from my phone. Thanks in advance for any and all help...Dale

Last edited by Dale Stephens; Wed Oct 21 2015 06:22 PM.

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is the can in question. That is a very cool can Dale. Les

lubest.jpg imagejpeg_0.jpg

Have gas all the time
Done4 #634044 Thu Oct 22 2015 10:32 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks, Les, for posting the pictures for me. The only problem with the can is, it is not mine.....Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Still a very cool can and one that I have not seen.

Have gas all the time
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
As one of the county's premier 2 gallon collectors and dealers, I will tell you, you have an extraordinarily rare and desirable piece. I have only seen one other.

This can has everything, condition, graphics, and is just plain rare. I'll be real frank. Don't take a penny less than $600-700, and I really feel its worth every bit of that.

The only one I have ever seen, in an old upstate NY collection, was in worse shape. Its owner told me he theorized that back in the 30s, many were destroyed by church going folk. If you want a good 2 gallon, look no further. This is a true piece of automotive history.

Last edited by 2 Gallon Luke; Thu Oct 22 2015 04:00 PM.

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Like I said above, I don't own the can. Just wish I did. Thanks...Dale

Last edited by Dale Stephens; Thu Oct 22 2015 06:30 PM.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
One more question. Does anyone have or has anyone ever seen a quart or maybe a five gallon version of this can?

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved