Next Thread
Print Thread
#624621 Thu Aug 06 2015 05:28 AM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
More nice pictures, thanks. You see with all the new repro stuff how in the world is the rest of the new collectors going to know. If it shows up there, now its everywhere just like the 12 plates on ebay. Someone is buying all this decorator stuff.

Last edited by Oldgas; Fri Aug 07 2015 07:11 PM. Reason: Moved to its own topic for discussion about repros
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Wes Maxwell #624633 Thu Aug 06 2015 06:06 AM
Originally Posted By Wes Maxwell
There was one guy there with about a dozen or more unmarked 30 inch fake round porcelain signs. Another vendor with a lot of newly created one piece etched globes. Buyer beware...
I did learn something on the his trip, "You can tell it is a fake because of the price".

The globes are all dated, so really no different than buying any other repro globe.

I meant to come meet you Wes, I will next year.

By the way, nice job on the photos guys!

Last edited by Oldgas; Fri Aug 07 2015 07:15 PM. Reason: Moved to this topic from Iowa Gas pictures topic
Craig Osbeck #624634 Thu Aug 06 2015 06:16 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By Craig Osbeck
More nice pictures, thanks. You see with all the new repro stuff how in the world is the rest of the new collectors going to know. If it shows up there, now its everywhere just like the 12 plates on ebay. Someone is buying all this decorator stuff.

The vendor with the 30"?? Repo aigns at Iowa Gas was also at a big antique show in Iowa last weekend. Asking around $500 and definitely NOT dated or marked in any way. They were very heavy AND double sided. OK Used Cars,. Orange and Black diecut 66 shield, and other gas/oil variations. Be careful!

Signs&Neons #624650 Thu Aug 06 2015 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Signs&Neons
Originally Posted By Craig Osbeck

The vendor with the 30"?? Repo aigns at Iowa Gas was also at a big antique show in Iowa last weekend. Asking around $500 and definitely NOT dated or marked in any way. They were very heavy AND double sided. OK Used Cars,. Orange and Black diecut 66 shield, and other gas/oil variations. Be careful!

If its the same guy that I'm thinking of... another giveaway on the signs is that there was pretty much no shelving present on the signs.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Wes Maxwell #624686 Thu Aug 06 2015 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I heard from a friend of mine that he was told, " The dates on the globes can be easily sanded off", for what that's worth..

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Wes Maxwell #624695 Thu Aug 06 2015 03:26 PM
M
M
Do the sellers at the shows, tell people that they are reproductions, or is it just like
ebay, you are your own. Still learning, I would be a un happy camper, if I bought a
expensive sign, it was fake. Hopefully it will never happen, I would ask here first.

Wes Maxwell #624697 Thu Aug 06 2015 03:39 PM
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
It looks as though the 30" signs didnt have standard 10 & 2 position mounting /hanging holes. Appeared to be one in the top center? Is that my eyes or is that another tell?

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Wes Maxwell #624729 Thu Aug 06 2015 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Wes Maxwell
I heard from a friend of mine that he was told, " The dates on the globes can be easily sanded off", for what that's worth..

The !#$%^&! guy selling them told a friend of mine that the dates could be removed.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Wes Maxwell #624756 Fri Aug 07 2015 06:48 AM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I am the !#$%^&! guy that does the globes. Again, bad info. on here. The dates can be removed if you can grind and polish glass. They are etched deep and would leave a bad flat spot that would be very visible if removed. I wish people would talk to me instead of going on hear-say. It is easier to leave the dates off . I think the next run will be UNDATED and you guys can thank Lastgas15 and a few others for that. You should mind your own business if you don't know what you are talking about. Do you have any experience etching glass? Thank You, Steve

oslosteve #624803 Fri Aug 07 2015 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By oslosteve
I am the !#$%^&! guy that does the globes. Again, bad info. on here. The dates can be removed if you can grind and polish glass. They are etched deep and would leave a bad flat spot that would be very visible if removed. I wish people would talk to me instead of going on hear-say. It is easier to leave the dates off . I think the next run will be UNDATED and you guys can thank Lastgas15 and a few others for that. You should mind your own business if you don't know what you are talking about. Do you have any experience etching glass? Thank You, Steve

The guy you told the dates are removable is a member on here. Perhaps he'll respond so no one will have to rely on hearsay.
If you would make undated globes because of what I posted you really are a !#$%^&!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

Wes Maxwell #624806 Fri Aug 07 2015 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steve,

I asked if they were dated, and you showed me the date, and said, and I quote, "but you could polish it off." I am not trying to get into an argument here, just stating facts.

Wes

Wes Maxwell #624808 Fri Aug 07 2015 04:53 PM
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
On coins and tokens federal law requires copy mark stamped on reverse and know of people being fined and convicted. ..most people don't like repro on front .back ok for most. I'd like to see his licensing agreement on trademarks. Best to bee as legit as your repetition last for longer than the money you get.

Wes Maxwell #624810 Fri Aug 07 2015 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for clearing that up Wes W.
Sorry for hijacking your thread Wes M.

Craig Osbeck #662262 Sun Jul 31 2016 07:23 AM
W
W
To all,

After seeing reference to one piece globes made by a member of this site, 'Oslosteve', I was interested in more information on the quality of his work. There were pixs of several of his globes on a previous thread that were absolutely works of art. Then I came to this thread and I do not understand the tone or direction intended. The comments made by 'Oslosteve' to 'thermactor' appear to me as a 'heads up' warning, not a suggestion for a devious act to someone so inclined.

Whatever the intention of this thread was, the unfortunate result is that one of our members, 'Oslosteve', has not been active on this site since.

Walt K. in PA

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved