Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#597134 Mon Feb 09 2015 10:14 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Has anyone ever built an upper light unit for their Tokheim 36B? I believe I would require some sort of electrical junction box with two light fixtures extending horizontally for the ad glass area and one vertical fixture extending to the globe. I can get the porcelain light sockets with the 1/2" pipe thread but what sort of junction box do I need and where can I find one? All I have at the moment is the 1/2" threaded pipe end and a couple of wires. It is one of the last pieces to resolve on this rebuild. Thanks for any help. Cheers, Don.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don--it needs to be small enough to keep the fixtures from extending out too far. I have an original 36B with just such a fixture above that plate, and I wanted one on another 36B that I was restoring, so I made my own! I used a junction box from a Wayne pump which already has 2--1/2 inch pipe fittings cast into it. I just bored 2 more openings into the round box, at 90- degree angles to the fittings already there. Then I took a 1/2 inch smooth pipe coupling and cut it in half to use as the new fittings. I then welded them to the junction box and there it was! I now had a small junction box with 4 --1/2 inch pipe fittings on it!
From there it was simply a matter of using some close nipples and ceramic sockets , and it was together, and still allowed ample room for a couple small light bulbs inside the ad glass top.
Sorry, I don't have any photos----

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Kevin, but then the problems changes to finding a Wayne junction box, do the drilling, and have someone weld it together. I was hoping for an off the shelf solution but that may not happen here. Cheers, Don.

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Don, got to an electrical supply store and get a 4 way tee, you can use closed nipples and the fixtures and still have room for the cfl bulbs.

Thanks, Phil
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Phil, I am planning to stop by the hardware store after work to look at round junction boxes with four 1/2" hole openings. The close nipples are a good idea for the confined space I have to work in. Cheers, Don.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I use a four way 1/2" black iron plumbing "T". As Phil mentioned, use close 1/2" nipples. New ceramic light fixtures with each wired separately. Fish all three sets of wires into the T and down thru the base into the original electrical junction box. Wire nut everything together and you are in business. Pretty simple, really. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Wow, nice top made for a stationlighter.

GENE

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don--I can mail you a Wayne junction box if your other options don't work out. I like the ease of wiring with the junction box up top instead of fishing the wires. Looks a lot like the original deal too.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks but I think I almost have it with just one trip to the hardware store. I now just have to wait to get three porcelain light fixtures with the 1/2" thread from my buddy and then wire it all up. It is simple when you know what you are doing, but sometimes a little more difficult when you are doing it for the first time. Thanks for all the input. Cheers, Don.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don I like that energy ad glass on that top. Sweet!

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Fred. Energy wasn't my first choice. I was planning to do a North Star Buffalo or Electro. However the thought of creating new decals and ad glass was a bit daunting. When I found that my 2 original Energy ad glasses would fit and that I had a couple of the proper Energy decals for the pump along with the original globe it was the way to go. A little cramped rebuilding the pump in my two bedrooms but I am making it work. It will be heaven when that new garage appears. Cheers, Don.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved