Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil
And in regard to vetting items...how in the heck can an auction company personally vouch for 1600 items...that's ridiculous.

My 2 cents for what it's worth. If companies like Barrett Jackson and Morphy want to be the Christie's of the automobilia auctions then YES THEY SHOULD vouch for the authenticity of their items especially given the ridiculous premiums they are charging! If they can't authenticate it then they shouldn't sell it! Both companies have "experts" who are highly paid and charged with dealing with these type of items and THEY should be the ones doing the research as to whether or not the items presented to them are authentic!

That said...the Frontier globe is legit and it's the first one I've seen go to auction. I just wish it was at the Iowa Gas auction instead of this one were many have millions of dollars but sometimes little knowledge of what they are buying in this category so I could get a sense of what it's worth in the "real world". But if I see that Deep Rock on capco gets something like $500 I will be sending them several of my globes for their next auction.

The Frontier globe link.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Ev...mp-globe-179651

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
It's "Superlative"!

Last edited by RARIN TO GO; Thu Dec 18 2014 06:25 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
RARIN TO GO, you just nailed it.

I'm not attacking BJ, I just find it ridiculous that a world class company can not find intelligent enough people to determine what is real and what is fake, even based on pictures.

I am 25 years old and can look through those 1600 items and separate the reproduction items in about 20 minutes. It's not hard people.

Kevin

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
THANK YOU VERY MUCH BLACKTEE AND RARIN TO GO & GMSTUFF!! That was exactly my point, some members (NAMES WHITHHELD) should take notice of your great attitude and willingness to help !!

Last edited by 63shelby; Thu Dec 18 2014 07:12 PM.

Pete
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I asked Rory in the last 2 auctions if he would put in his listing if the globes are complete or singles. Globe collectors want to know if there are chips or cracks. A $5000 globe mising back lens is only worth half. How can a globe guy bid if he doesn't know if It's complete or not.
I will pass on bIdding in this the auction....

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

It would be nice if it was that simple. There are people that have been deep in the petroliana hobby (and business) for 30 to 35 years or more that have been burned on unmarked repros in the area of the hobby they specialize in. A lot of collectors can pick out the easy to spot things like the Gulf sign that prompted a lot of this discussion. When it comes to the really well done fake signs and globes there's no one person that can catch them all.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John, Some of the globes are listed as single lens. I'm not sure that means the rest have both lenses. Pictures of both sides would be helpful.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: RARIN TO GO
It's "Superlative"!

Condition: Body: 8.0 Lenses: 9.0+

I think this will be a rare instance when paint missing on a ripple doesn't have much effect on the overall price of a globe.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Guys, Rory is no amateur, he, and his father have been buying and selling petro for probably 50 years. I am sure it would be a safe bet to say they have handled and seen more stuff than everyone else on Oldgas put together.

Still looking for that Union 76 ball
And I collect big old porcelain neon signs
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: porcelain-neon
Guys, Rory is no amateur, he, and his father have been buying and selling petro for probably 50 years. I am sure it would be a safe bet to say they have handled and seen more stuff than everyone else on Oldgas put together.

That's a VERY BOLD Statement. If their knowlege of petroliana was so grand, (more "than everyone else on Oldgas put together" ) I don't think this thread would exist. I think a few people would agree with me on that.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
gmstuff, if your that well educated in Petroliana by the time your 25 years old why would BJ need to hire someone to tell everyone whats fake and original.. it easy right ? NOT !

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know some will get butt hurt with what I'm about to write here but I got broad shoulders so here goes. This auction is not for the average collector that most of us on this site are. I'm sure there are some that can play with big boys here but most of us can not. The reason I say this these guys who are putting together million dollar collections don't care if a gm neon sign is real or not. It's not the focal point of there collection and most who come and see there collection would not remember the neon sign. Now most of us if given the chance to own an gm neon sign it would be the focal point of our collection. Also I'm just using a gm neon as an example. To further my point look at what some of these people pay for gas pumps at this auction. I'm not trying to defend bj auctions or Rory but at the end of the day we are not there target customers for this auction.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Well said Shawn

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Shawn I disagree with the idea that those with million $ collections don't care if an item is real or not. Those with sufficient coin to spend on the high $ items are as interested in owning the most rare examples as we are. I believe the fact that repop's get into some collections is not a purposeful act, but results from wanting to get a collection put together quickly without the pain of long term research and experience.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm not for auction companies purposely advertising a piece to be authentic when they know it's not....but on the flip side...
there are so many in our hobby trying to rescue people that have no desire to be saved.

Shawn is right..there is a segment of collectors that flat out do not care. You can shake your fist at those who make and sell repops...but the reality is that there is a huge and booming market for it. You can get mad about it, you can curse anyone who knowingly or unknowingly sells it...but the real problem is the people buying it like little kids wanting more candy.

As stated..if you have a problem with something from an auction house that advertises here..I'm confident if you contact them they will look into it. Slinging mud at them is not the answer.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved