Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
It is with heavy heart I announce that our beloved friend and fellow petroliana collector Dick Bennett (a.k.a. The Professor) passed away last night. He will be greatly missed by me and many others in our hobby. Dick provided a wealth of information for us and was an asset to the Old Gas community.
While your thoughts and prayers are much appreciated, his wife, Judy, requests that any condolences or memories of Dick be posted here instead of contacting her directly at this difficult time.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
condolences too Judy & the family... cool
R.I.P. DB

Last edited by advertologist; Fri Aug 29 2014 04:34 PM.

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Deepest sympathy to his family. The site will never be quite the same.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sad to hear. Just chatted with him yesterday and everyday. He was a great friend and will be greatly missed. DB has taught me a lot. Oldgas will not be the same without him.

Dan McGuffey

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Deepest sympathy to his family as well. Wish I had the chance to meet him. frown

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Damn....what a shock. DB and I had a lengthy back and forth message session Wednesday night, I can't believe it. My deepest sympathy to his family. He will DEFINITELY be missed here, his knowledge was endless, and if you were a willing listener, he was glad to share with it with you. I too wish I had a chance to meet Dick.....guess I'll have to wait until I'm on the other side. frown DB started out rough on me like he did all the other newbies, but I figured out over time that, IMO, he was weeding out the true collectors from the rest, and I grew to enjoy our online friendship.
Darin

Last edited by DWSheffer; Fri Aug 29 2014 04:46 PM.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can honestly say Db was a friend of mine from the first day we met at Iowa gas years ago. I will miss him for sure

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Wow when I saw the title I was hoping it was some sort of prank. A real bummer for the hobby. I am glad to have met Dick in person at Iowa a few years ago. Always enjoyed his insight and opinions here, and in PMs. A HUGE loss for the hobby and oldgas.
RIP pal.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
My prayers go to his his wife Judy. Never met him, and from what I knew of him here did not make me a fan to be honest. But have no doubt the following quote sounds just like something that would apply to him:

"I am ready to meet my maker, but whether my maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."

Winston Churchill (1874-1965) British politician.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can't believe it. Dick and I hit it off from the start here on Oldgas for some reason as I know a lot of folks had a hard time figuring him out. His gruff front was not the helping and truly dedicated collector and friend he was to many. I am thankful we were able to meet last year at Iowa and become friends. One truly never knows when our number is up and the good Lord calls us home. God bless Judy and the family in the weeks and months ahead. I never met Judy but the fact that Dick was originally from my neck of the woods and her maiden name being Bass was a big part of our early conversations that led to a great friendship. Rest in Peace Dick.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Wow is right! DB will for sure be missed. So sorry to hear this.
Spoke with him by email lots and he was always willing to help. I too wish I had the chance to meet him in person. Oldgas will not be the same,rest in peace Dick.

My prayers go out to Judy and the family. Rob let us know if we as a group need to do something.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
my feeling sad thoughts go out to Dick & family as he help me a lot when starting out on my Boyle Dayton collection finding hard parts for me also helped with my spel corrections when needed Laroy

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Extremely sad to hear this,like most of us here.
His knowledge was only surpassed by his personality in my book.
His dry sense of humor and bluntness were just one of the many reasons I tuned here.
He constantly gave me gruff for my Chicago pizza photo,saying how disgusting it looked..LOL.
We occasionally talked back & forth,and now wish I made more of an effort to tell him how much I really appreciated who he was.
My deepest condolences to his wife.
Rest In Peace Mr.Bennett.

This is one of my favorite photos of you..

DB.jpg
Last edited by Cold Pizza; Fri Aug 29 2014 05:38 PM.
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Wow, just talked to him Monday. Sympathies to his family.

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just got in from dinner and heard from Shawn. Words can't express howI feel right now. Just talked with db last night also.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved