Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
W
http://www.vaultgarage.com/garage-nostalgia/ , don't know if this guy is marking his signs, WOW

Wes.......
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
I saw this site a while back and talked to a buddy of mine about it. Vinyl over metal signs and custom work to order.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It states on the website;

"Unlike inferior reproductions which use spray-painted artwork and thin aluminum face panels, we avoided cutting corners in favor of faithfully recreating the same porcelain enameling processes used on original signs. The vibrant artwork is not paint at all, but rather finely ground glass crystals which, when kiln fired at 1350 degrees fuse to heavy-gauge steel panels. Porcelains brilliant colors, durable finish and incredible resistance to weather & fading made it the standard for outdoor advertising.

A dying art form today, this process is considerably more labor and cost intensive, as the artwork is hand-applied by the artist and fired separately, one color at a time. The end result however, is historically accurate, and in many cases, indistinguishable, from originals."

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I am in the minority here...but I see no issues with GOOD repro items as long as they are easy to ID as repro. Awesome to see good stuff being made. I mostly fail to see the purpose in this case however since his 66 sign probably costs more than if you find a mint face and have neon restored..but for rare ones I am sure its smaller investment than originals.

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Looking closer, I have jumped the gun. This is not the site that he and I were discussing. My apologies. If the repros are well marked, no harm. What I do have a problem with is the addition of company logos like WALKER AND CO. being added to a reproduction sign. This is already a problem and I have seen the results first hand by a buyer seeing that logo and mistaking for real thing. The company name has no business being there period.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
You know what these "ultra high quality signs" have in common with cheapy tinny 5oz ebay repop's they're both GENUINE JUNK!!!
PERIOD. wink I hope they will be marked by this company "vault".

Last edited by luminor89; Tue Jul 15 2014 12:24 PM.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I just wrote them this. I blew a little smoke up their butt in hopes that it would help them to be understanding. Who the hell knows. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Hello,
I recently was pointed to your site by some friends. I want to first say that the quality of the pieces on your site look to be just amazing!! And your product line looks to be top of the line across the board. But my reason for writing has nothing to do with the quality. That looks to speak for itself. I am writing to inquire as to whether or not your signs are marked or dated in any way as reproductions? There is a small group of collectors, I included, that like to do all we can to preserve the integrity of the actual original pieces by combating unmarked reproductions. It may seem a little thing now, but 50-75 years from now, it may not be so easy for a collector or historian to tell the authenticity of one of your pieces from an original. If your pieces are currently not marked and dated as reproductions, the collecting and history community would greatly appreciate it if you would find a way to work this practice into your process in the future.

Of course you could tell me to take a hike, or just ignore this writing. But I would hope, based on what seems to be a respect for the pieces yourself, that you would respectfully consider this letters request. If your pieces are currently marked and dated as reproductions, then, on behalf of the future collector, I thank you dearly for respecting the true history of these pieces!!

Thank you for your time!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
W
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
W
PERFECT

Wes.......
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
The owner of the company called me. I spoke for quite a while on the phone with him. Very very nice guy and very respectful of the hobby!! He seemed quite knowledgeable of the hobby such that some of you may even know him.
I learned some very interesting information on the manuf. process of the signs.
In short, all of his stuff is marked on the back with the company name and some are marked on the front. He was very interested in the opinion of the collectors. I really wish one of you more experienced guys to talk to him. He is very interested in feedback but we were really talking above my pay grade.

Last edited by Steve C.; Tue Jul 15 2014 02:47 PM.

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Vault Garage is a member here- Chad Haas. Been a member since 2003.

A little harsh to call his stuff "Genuine Junk".

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I am sure the Barrett-Jackson crowd will go for these as they go NUTS over CLONES or "recreations". But for me, if I can not have the real thing, I just would not feel much pride in a fake.

R D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This particular post caught my attention because it is associated with my company and asks buyers to be aware.

I am very passionate about preserving this wonderful form of American advertising and have poured a great deal of time and effort into creating a product that is as beautiful as it is authentic. My goal from the beginning has been to offer the most accurate and the highest quality signs possible, which is why I have painstakingly spent nearly a full decade researching, testing and perfecting our craft to faithfully replicate this wonderful art form. VAULT has accomplished a very high level of quality by using many of the same processes and materials that were used originally by manufacturers [the only visible difference is that we permanently mark each sign with our company trademark]. The process by which we make all of our products at VAULT is uncompromising because I believe each item is a representation of who we are as a company.

My company is always striving to be the best at what we do and nothing is more important to me than our client's satisfaction; which is why we never stop trying to achieve perfection in every product that we offer. Nothing brings me greater satisfaction than a satisfied customer. It is why my company exists.

That is why I welcome anyone to call me. I'd like to hear directly from you about any concerns that the collecting community may have regarding our signs. You will find that I am completely transparent about my company and our products and will gladly accept feedback.

What matters most to me is enhancing the customer experience and I know that I could learn a lot from members of this hobby to help us accomplish that through you sharing your feedback.

Thank you,

Chad Haas

Chad Haas
Chief Gearhead
VAULT�
12725 SW Millikan Way, Suite 300
Beaverton, OR 97005-1687
http://www.vaultgarage.com
http://www.facebook.com/VaultGarage
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By: luminor89
You know what these "ultra high quality signs" have in common with cheapy tinny 5oz ebay repop's they're both GENUINE JUNK!!!
PERIOD. wink I hope they will be marked by this company "vault".

Typical Newbie

The company should get rid of any other's manufactures marks/names, and should show photos of his companies Name and "Date", on their website. Other than that, leave the man alone with your two cent B.S.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
In case anyone would like to know, here is the makers mark of our company trademark that is fired onto our porcelain signs. We also number and catalog every sign we sell.

Capture.JPG

Chad Haas
Chief Gearhead
VAULT�
12725 SW Millikan Way, Suite 300
Beaverton, OR 97005-1687
http://www.vaultgarage.com
http://www.facebook.com/VaultGarage
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Chad,
Great talking to you the other day. Very informative!

Like I said on the phone, I would like to see not only your signs, but ALL reproduction pieces dated AND marked "reproduction". This is not so much for us today, although it's nice, but more for the guy or gal 40 years from now who is wondering if that piece he is looking at is early/mid 20 Century. When in fact it is 21st. No, this will not be a 100% guarantee against those who want to be deliberately devious. But 40 years, 60years, 100 years from now there will be, as there are now, sellers who dont even know what they have. They'll be passing things off as legit with no intension of being devious. They just dont know. And they will wonder, who is this Vault? Where a date just lets everyone, forever know what they have. And if I was making the signs. I would put it small on the front and on the back with the company name.
Just my thoughts.

Steve Coppens
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved