Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#522299 Fri Mar 21 2014 08:58 AM
Jacob_V Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi, I have a Tokheim 39 Short that appears to have a remanufactured Veeder Root computer in it. The computer seems to work correctly and is just a little dusty. I am using Q-tips and light soap to clean the number wheels, and they seem to clean up well.

Is it acceptable to use white lithium on the gears and such internally, or should it be graphite, or liquid or? Sounds pretty dry when operating, and it takes a bit of arm strength to reset the counter. I figure it should be a bit easier.

Lastly, are there some models with a bell and some not? Being it's re-manufacture, did they remove the bell? At the gallon mark, there is not bell sound... Kinda wanted that...

Thanks!

Jake

Currently have a Tokheim 39 Short under restoration.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Jacob_V #522307 Fri Mar 21 2014 10:06 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Contact jkyocum on this site. He rebuilds them. He has done at least 8 for me.

tallgye49 #522314 Fri Mar 21 2014 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Since this computer will never go thru the rigorous daily use that it once did, the lubrication type is really immaterial. I have found that liberal usage of WD-40 is about as good as it gets, because you are able to reach all spots without disassembly and the liquid will find its way between the surfaces needing lubrication by simply spraying the area and working the mechanism several times.
As far as the bell goes, there were a lot of models that did not come with a bell, although you can easily get the parts and put a bell on any of the 12 inch computers. You might have to get a different tin cover if you wish to stay with the cover, but easily adapted for use with a bell. Either Joe Yokom or Tom Buckles should have the parts you need.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #522359 Fri Mar 21 2014 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF your not going to motorize the VR, I wouldn't worry about a bell for static display. IF your going to motorize it, every thing needs to be working smoothly.
Nozzle & Hose were the most changed out item on pumps, VR's were the 2nd most changed out item.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Avoid lithium grease. It just sits on the surface of things. It will not penetrate into the machine surfaces that need the lube. It also attracts dust and dirt, becoming abrasive. It breaks down and hardens. Lay the computer on it's side and spray anything that moves with WD-40 or PB blaster. Flip to the other side and repeat. Use a screwdriver to go through reset several times. Repeat. It'll get easier every time. Once done, wipe off excess oil with a cloth rag.

Mike618b #524890 Mon Mar 31 2014 11:29 AM
Jacob_V Offline OP
OP Offline
I Hit it with some PB Blaster and it really seemed to do well. I just pin pointed some spots, but I should put it on it's sides etc. like mike says. Already it's way better. PB Blaster is pretty potent as far as it's odor goes... Hopefully that'll dissipate over time...

I do plan to motorize it, so I'll ensure it's rolling smooth.

Currently have a Tokheim 39 Short under restoration.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved