Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#495628 Sun Dec 01 2013 09:02 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Just thought it would be fun to hear what got others into the hobby? Was it a Family run station from years past?
A friend who collected and gave you the bug or just because you thought the stuff is just fun to hunt down and beautiful to display or was it just one item you saw and that was all it took?

Honestly I just wanted a pump for my "mancave" yes I was that guy!
I started collecting Railroad stuff first and still do from time to time but then realized that was just bringing work home with me and so I thought a pump would be cool so I started looking and found a Wayne 515 already restored for 1500 bucks and it was done in Frontier, a place I knew from working on the railroad in Cheyenne as they were one of our larger customers in town and the "Rarin to go" design always caught my eye so I went and looked at the pump it was in the back of a barn full of old cars and it was beautiful and I had to have it no questions asked or measurements taken! other than how the hell was I going to get it out since we had to squeeze our way to it?
The owner said no problem I'll hook the tractor up to the cars and move them around I said sold!
I went back the next day and he and his son already had the bonnet and jar taken apart for me we loaded it up and away I went, once it got it home and I took it out of the truck I knew there was going to be a problem as the thing wouldn't fit through the garage door standing up and it's an oversized garage! that's when I knew it was too tall for the 8' ceilings of the "cave" so it had to stay in the garage.
I kept it there on display with my railroad signs for 6 months and finally decided to sell it and find one that would work (still regret that), I ended up selling it to a employee of the Frontier Refinery back up in Cheyenne he put it in his living room and as far as I know it's still there.
I ended up buying a 39 short that had been a Texaco originally and had been krylon painted into a Frontier and used as yard art I bought it knowing what it could look like restored and I knew it would fit.

I spent my free time for a couple of months restoring it with my boy's bit by bit it came along and once I finished it I knew I had to do more of them! that led into the "HUNT" for more and then it was signs and cans or whatever I could find to add to the collection this dang thing just took over but it's full of memories of searching with my Wife and Son's and time spent together restoring them that they'll remeber down the road.
I remeber some of these items in use from when I was young growing up with my Grandparents and time spent at the station in Idaho and my second job working at Little America west of Green River WY, so while I may have started as "That Guy" looking for a pump for his mancave it has really brought back some fun memories and created more for my family I think thats what brings most of us to this hobby.

What's your story? I'm sure we'd all like to hear...

Bob.

How my "addiction" started...

The 39 short,

39 short after,

The garage now...

Most recently I added this to the list of "addictions"...

Last edited by Let er' Buck; Sun Dec 01 2013 09:09 AM. Reason: Updated Picture

Always looking for Frontier and Beeline items.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Mike and Frank!
But it was a love of American culture and a longing for what seemed a simpler time that keeps me in it.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My grandfather was a big collector/dealer in the 1980's and that got my brother started and then myself. My grandfather had hundreds of globes in his basement and bought them dirt cheap in the late 70's and 80's. Muscos, Smitholine's, etched, baked, ect you name it. I have some of his old records and he only paid $5, $10, $25 or so for many of his globes. Probably sold globes to some of you veteran guys.

I do have a few of the globes he had but none of the real good ones. Best one I have is a baked Sinclair Gasoline that I got back from Scott B.

sinclairgasoline1.JPG

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
awesome collections !!!! I love the two Texaco Wayne 70's. Also the FORD pickup. My son has a 1953 in pieces hopefully next years we can get it back together

G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Haven't we answered this question before? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: gasmansgp
Haven't we answered this question before? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Probably but that's not the point now is it?
Just try and have some fun with it...

Always looking for Frontier and Beeline items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've always been into cars and somehow failed to realize that people collected advertising and gas & oil items. I've bought and sold over 550 cars, I actually have the vin numbers and details of each car recorded. It makes me sick now, to think of all the gas and oil items I missed out on when I was buying and selling cars and didn't notice the REAL collectibles (gas & oil). Started collecting gas & oil in late 2005.

For the new members who may not have looked at this old thread. Here's a link to a thread in which I posted some pic's of my collection.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=400603&page=1

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob , your collection is great ! My first pump was my grandfathers that my grandmother give me , guess that helped get me going . Sure is a great hobby.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It started with collecting license plates as a kid and then I found my first texaco flange sign and now I have over 30 signs and 11 pumps. I love every minute of it.

Braden Splichal

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
A $100.00 dollar bill and a six pack. Ron Lease-Collector.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is a pump my mom bought my stepdad back in oct 2000 that was his Christmas present and that is when I started collecting. I bought 2 pumps before we found this one for him. Big thanks to a local collector for selling this pump to my mom.

My stepdad passed away last year from cancer.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My great uncle who worked for Gulf and my grandfather who owned a service and Amoco gas station.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Its a sickness that as took many forms along the way.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
LSx Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
One day I decided I wanted an old beat up gas pump for my landscaping in the yard. I asked around locally if anyone knew of any and was directed to an ol man about 30 miles from here. I went to the door and asked if he did and he said he does but doesnt sell. Then he decided to show me his collection. I was amazed when I walked through the front door.

Even though he said he doesnt sell, I brought home an Tok 300 pump complete done up in DX unrestored. Then I decided to research what it was and what DX was (obviously way before my time) During the search I found this site and its been downhill from there!

I have met some good people on here and in this hobby. Look forward to more

-Brian
LSx #497713 Tue Dec 10 2013 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I believe these past threads, relate to this one... Unfortunately some of those that posted in these threads, are no longer with us on Oldgas... Some by choice, some by illness, some by death....

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=233509&page=all

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=368255&page=all

http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001927.html

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=374780&page=all

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved