Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
59 on the 4th of July. "A man is only as old as the woman he feels"-Groucho Marx

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I'm currently 44, 45 in August. I started at the age of 18 when I bought a farm here in Ohio. There was a tall Bennett 646B Sinclair pump leaning over across the street next to a barn. One day I looked out and saw the farmer carrying it to a hole with his front end loader, I ran across the field and saved it from getting buried. About a month later, I stopped at an antique store because I saw a man there with a truck pulling a trailer filled with gas pumps, his name was Glenn Thompson (look him up in the front of Jack's book.) He and I became close friends and from then on, he concentrated on teaching me EVERYTHING. He taught me how to use county maps, how to look at the age of a silo and be able to tell what kind of pump was there. Which pumps to buy and what to stay away from. He would test me and have me name off every pump model in his collection and why that pump was so special. How to approach a farmer and be able to talk your way into a purchase. All of the other places that people skip over where pumps are likely sitting (like a feed mill.) Thank you Glenn, I couldn't have asked for a better teacher. You were and always will be one of the pioneers of this hobby.

Goober smile

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will be 38 this coming December , something that interested me was how others have said they have sold their cars ,hotrods etc.and are strictly collecting petrolina now, what's strange I am following that same path , kind of lost interest in my vehicles now as I am drawn to this hobby more and more.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 40 , Been collecting for about 5 years. I grew up addicted to the show Happy Days and thought I was "The Fonz" My Family has always owned Gas / Service stations in the area and my Dad always reminisced about the days at my great Uncle Benny's Gulf station. Much like everyone else I have gone from Harley's to Hot rods and back to remembering the sweet smell of petro sitting in the back seat of my grandmothers 70' Chevelle. It's history from there.

-MAXGAS-
Looking for Independent Gas & Oil, Oilzum,& Early FORD dealership items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm 46 and started collecting petroliana in 2006. Been into cars since I was 12 years old and my father bought me my first car.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Turned 60 last month and been collecting gas stuff for over thirty years now. Was into old Buicks and Karting when I was younger, just did not have enough garages for the cars. Could get more gas pumps and signs into containers. Had to get a ride to the Old Portland swap meet in the expo when you rented a space in the cow barn.

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
52.....It all started with the purchase of a 65 mustang convertible 8 years ago. However, My Grandfather owned a true General Store near Mammoth Cave, KY when I was a child. It was branded Shell and you could purchase everything from cigarettes to fan belts. There were soda signs and other advertising signs nailed all over the old building. If I get a chance, I will post a photo of it!

Clayton

T
TC Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I'm 63 years young, started about 30 years ago collecting globes and buying pumps and selling them. Never kept them- sorry for that. Used to buy visible cylinders for 30 to 80 dollars and traded them for globes. Used to be into cars and drag racing real heavy, dragging got to be to expensive. Scaled down on the cars and kept one for my retirment project 63 corvette split window. I have 2 pumps now-service station 20 gallon and a service station eco-meter clockface and a herd of globes.Ted

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 52.. Been into Petroleum Equipment for 30+ years, but on the service and installation end of things. I started collecting about 1 year ago, and now its become a disease.!
Funny thing is..I've had parts for collectible pumps for a long time and didn't know it , until I started in this hobby.
Now, when I'm looking for parts, I go looking in my shed first..then if that fails, I start the "hunt"..

Imperial Oil collector..
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
66 years young & been collecting things all my life.Kinda of grew up a junkyard dog.Had to check everyone that I passed for treasure's.(hard to do now day's).Well my first recollections started when I used to get out of the car on trips while my dad was gassing the car up.Oh that smell of gas in those days was intoxicating.Dad would chase me off but it always brought me back at every stop.Anyhow I have collected and restored 50s car's ,collected cast iron auto toy car's ,old tools, oil & petro cans, and now my first gas pump.Any brand would do as long as the graphics were strong.The best deals for me are the surprises that I find at garage and farm sales ,bargains are the name of the game for me.Except for that once in awhile Got to have it ! It is a disease for sure!!

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
42 here...been collecting Standard Oil for around 13 years,first thing that started me was a Standard Oil of Chicago lollipop base my father gave me when I was 20. We also made a replica sprint car out of Yes...Gas Pump Parts and other things of course. Car is in the March 1980 issue of Old Car Illustrated under the heading "Building a New Old Racer".The cover of the magazine has a Superbird on the cover if not mistaken,have a couple issues buried somewhere. I love to research local circle track history and local gas/oil history. I have done my share of time in a trench box burying underground pipe for bulkplants and have installed many hoists with my father for the Firestone locals also,not fun! My sock drawer is a Anco wiper cabinet smile

Last edited by greasyboy1970; Tue Jun 04 2013 06:37 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 51, and been collecting for the last 13 years, been into cars pretty much since before I could talk. Went to a car show and saw a pump,station lighter display and thought that it would be cool to have a pump, rest is history.
Ken.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 48, and have been collecting for about 21 years. Picked up my first sign (Sky Chief) at Mike Slama's swap. That started it all off, pumps came next.

JGD Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Just turned 30. Been into petro for about 3yrs now. Learned so much from oldgas and fellow members out at shows, etc. I just love the hobby. - Jon

Jon
M
M
I guess I might be too old to start another hobby. I am 66

Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved