Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Next up some Upperlube cans. I'm pretty sure I have all of the 4 ounce size cans/bottles now from the time frame I collect. There is the post 1965 blue MOBIL logo one, but that dates after my collection's focus!

Different examples of gallon Upperlube cans as well as a couple pints.....

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Here we will see some examples of Mobil's anti-freeze products Freezone and Permazone, including quarts, gallons, and 5 gallon bulk cans.

Freezone cans......

Permazone cans.....

Here from the left we have a 1938/9 Freezone chart, 2 different examples of 5 gallon Freezone cans, and a couple older gallon Permazone cans. At the top is the gallon Freezone island container/pourer, which is also available in the quart size. A word of caution on these cans, be very careful if you try to clean them. The applied artwork comes off very easily with almost no effort. A lot of times you are better off leaving well enough alone with these.

Last edited by DWSheffer; Mon May 27 2013 11:46 AM.

Darin Sheffer
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Now I will highlight the world of Lubrite cans!
Lubrite Refining Co. of St. Louis, Missouri was a midwest marketer acquired by Vacuum Oil Company in 1929, just previous to the Socony-Vacuum merger. Mobil continued to use the Lubrite name as a motor oil brand clear into the 1970's. The very generic silver and blue composite cans of the 70's don't hold a candle in looks to these older Pegasus cans I might add!

First off we will start with the blue quart cans. On the lower left is the dark blue version of the Lubrite quart, the lighter blue version of the same design is the second from the right. As a crazy Mobil collector I consider them two versions of the can as you also see this color variation in 5 quarts as well, so to me it's a distinct difference and is not caused by fading or sun damage.

Here are 3 different blue Lubrite 2 gallon cans.....

Next up are the white Lubrite cans. Except for the generic can on the left, the other three are pretty hard to find cans from subsidiary marketers Socony, Magnolia, and Standard. These three are tough to find in nice condition. (sorry for the red color to the pic, the camera is acting up)

And last we have two of the more scarce 2 gallon cans, the white Socony Lubrite and an older Metro branded can in the same design as the Metro globe. You quite frequently see the later version Metro 2 gallons, but this old one rarely comes up for sale.

Darin Sheffer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Darin thanks for doing COTM this month it has been great. If anybody wants to host next month let me know by Friday and we will put you in

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #418653 Tue May 28 2013 07:16 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This is to go with Darin's paint items. Just about everything I have has been listed here but thought I would share this thermometer. Thanks Darin and everybody else that has posted pics.

Brian

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here are a couple of our globes that I havent seen posted.

16" MobilFuel Diesel

15" Mobilgas

Always looking for Mississippi company items, Billups, southland, ride with rose.
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
I'm going to try and close out the COTM with more pics in the coming days. I had lots more to show but my camera is giving me fits and it may not be possible to accomplish what I was hoping to. My plan was to wait until the end of the month to show items from my collection as I wanted to give all the Old Gassers ample time to post their items. So if you have anything not shown yet, please go ahead and post them as the month isn't over yet! smile
I must admit that the COTM Richard Weir (Pegasus) did on Mobil in March of 2005 was a big help to me when I started collecting Mobil. Thanks to all of you that made this a successful COTM and know that this current thread may help a new collector in the future as it did me 6 years ago.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
First up, some different versions of Delvac quarts.....

Here are a couple of examples of Gargoyle quarts with Arabic writing on the sides. These do not come up for sale very often and are among the few Gargoyle items in my collection.

A couple examples of Mobil products that were packaged for use in brand specific applications, in this case Mc Culloch chainsaws and Boston Gear reductors and ratiomotors.

Mobil brand burner cleaner....

Darin Sheffer
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
A couple versions of pump plates that I have not seen posted yet.

Mobilfuel Diesel dated 1951....

A lot of general collectors never notice the slight variation of some of the larger Magnolia territory pump plates with the thin blue borders. These are available with the open "a" as well as the rounded a or closed a, which you see most of the time. If you look back through this thread you will see several examples of the closed a, so I thought I would show my example of an open a for reference.

Below is the 12" Mobiloil shield on the left. I have only seen these dated IR46. Also shown is a restroom mirror with the Pegasus logo and a Magnolia gas line warning sign.

Last edited by DWSheffer; Tue May 28 2013 08:41 PM.

Darin Sheffer
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
A couple more signs not posted yet.
Hard to find 1930's Socony Vacuum Touring Service tin sign....

Along with the "keyhole" tin pump plates, the Mobilgas tin sign below is considered the first of the Mobilgas pump plates and date from the early 1940's. Shown previously in the thread is the METRO version of this sign type.

Darin Sheffer
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
As with all of the big oil companies in the glory days of the service station, Socony-Vacuum/Mobil appreciated the loyalty their dealers had for the company and awarded years of service by dealers and employees with plaques, pins, and other trinkets.

Dealer award plaques.....The lower left from Socony Vacuum, the right, Socony Mobil Oil Company.

Below are different examples of years of service pins, as well as an enamel hat badge, employee photo ID pin, safe driver pins, and tie tacks.

Company annual reports from 1943 to 1955.

Darin Sheffer
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Darin, what a great job of Company of the Month you did, the different products from Mobil is just staggering. You have an amazing collection, mine pales in comparison.
Ken.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think the ' Touring Service" wins the prize.
Great sign.
Thanks for your efforts.
Would never have guessed Mobil put out so much " Stuff"

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I'd like to thank you for selecting Mobil as COTM as it gave me the incentive to actually do something to display the plates I had in boxes. Also thanks to HI-OCTANE for his assistance in locating another one.

Ed

Ed
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

Nice pics guys! Here are a couple of mine:

Looking to buy or trade old gas station memorabilia such as pumps, globes, cans, signs, free give-aways, S&P shakers etc. from the 20s-60s.
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved