Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#410358 Wed Apr 17 2013 08:29 PM
Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
As a restorer of Gas Pumps myself and I know there are many of us on this site I have to pose a question that keep bouncing thru my brain....

Do you think that a gas Pump that is restored by a well known shop like Rick's American Restorations (Las Vegas/History channel) is worth any more is value than a highly detailed Pump one of us does?

I have never thought that any car I restored at my shop or any pump should be worth any more or less if it's done nice compared to another restorer.
I know someone that stopped in at Rick's, Bought a pump, had it restored by them and shipped back to his home. He told me it was well worth all the costs because it was done by Rick's and that will be a great selling point!

Maybe it's just me but who's going to know who Rick's was for extra value after the show is gone from TV.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I also do wonder the same question myself. My dad and I talk about it a lot when we are with friends talking about restorations.

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Lets take this a little further. Restored gas pumps sell for big dollars, why do nicely restored signs not??

N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Ricks pumps look like hell and I have no clue why they even bring a dollar more than an unrestored pump. All his need blasted and start fresh. It's kinda like people paying for a car that someone famous once owned. Makes no sense.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
With what WE have seen on the "TV Show", NOT ALL HIS Restorations have the Correct parts.

I'd rather have Frankpl or dundign do my pumps, at least they would be done w/ CORRECT PARTS. IF I want them to be Restored to working condition, then Dennis Maier of Flagstaff is MY CHOICE.

N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Well said Dick! Don't forget the master Craig Osbeck!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are SEVERAL Members here that do GREAT RESTOS. Frank, Tom & Dennis are within driving distances for me.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The reason he gets those prices is because he is doing them for some very uninformed/non research folks that want that instant gratification and the bonus of having a TV star doing there project, just like the people who have the pickers come to there homes.

Myself I like the pumps unrestored. There only original ONCE!

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
The minute I hear an owner mention a so called celebrity owned/restored his car/pump,I walk away.
Instant deal breaker.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I guess if it makes you feel good to over pay for a restoration,I'm happy for you.

A good restored pump is just that no matter who done it.I would rather someone say man that looks as good or better as them pumps you see on TV--and I still have a little change in my pocket.

The difference between signs and pumps is there is NOS signs still found in attics,which makes collectors frown on restored signs. JM2C

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Thu Apr 18 2013 07:51 AM.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think it's just an ego thing.I haven't personally run into it regarding Rick's pumps,but I have heard of guys bragging "Oh,I got mine at Barrett-Jackson!!".I guess that sort of "status symbol"is something some are willing to pay for.

I didn't even go look at the pump;I'm happy with my own work.Oh well,to each his own.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The first thing that I thought when I read this thread is if was a Ricks restoration, I would pay LESS. Brady

R
R
Speaking of Rick's. I don't watch cable (or even "regular" TV) but I saw this photo a while ago on the Net. Geez Louise, he wanted $6,500 each for these Boyle Dayton pumps and even the access doors are UPSIDE down!! Not to mention incorrect nozzles.

Ricks resto Las Vegas $6500 each.JPG
Last edited by ranchpump; Thu Apr 18 2013 12:14 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They have 3 gallon sticks which would make them a Wayne instead of a B&D?

Last edited by Man-Cave-Shoppe; Thu Apr 18 2013 12:44 PM.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WAYNE PUMP & TANK COMPANY - BOYLE DAYTON DIVISION
WRONG globe rings & "I" don't see conduit to top.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Thu Apr 18 2013 12:45 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved