Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Interesting!... I hadn't seen that thread. I searched a bit for that patent on Google but didn't see it yet. Do you remember what it was listed under?

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tim and anyone else who have contributed to this thread... Thank you very much!

I've owned a few visibles, but do I admit that they pretty much looked the same to me... Thanks to all that have contributed. I can now see some of the different nuances that "jump out" to you that are Pump Collectors....

I've learned quite a bit by following along.... Of course, I have so much more to learn...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Patent # US 1908202 assigned to the American Liquid Meter Company in Alhambra California.

Where did you find the photo's at?

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
The illustration on the right shows an indicator shaped exactly like the real photos on the right. The real photos were previously listed as an unidentified cast indicator. I can't say for sure that they are from a Progress pump but until someone steps up with a real photo of their Progress indicator this is the best I can do.

Progress Collage.jpg
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Butler is very simple in the fact that most of the pumps used only one style of indicator. It is belle shaped like so many other pump use but has a unique opening right below the stamped number. It's shaped like a flying saucer with an additional two small holes in the fold close to the edge.

BUTLER Collage.jpg Butler Flying Saucer.jpg
Last edited by Tim Rohr; Mon Apr 08 2013 05:00 AM.
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I could not find any Real photo's of an Erie Indicator so you'll have to settle on an illustration, which we have learned are not always accurate. In fact sometimes they aren't even close. From the illustration they look like the indicator commonly found in a G&B T-176 but with a more rounded top.

Erie.jpg
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I couldn't find any real photos of Lancer indicators and the illustration is almost useless. Hopefully a Lancer owner will step forward and provide a picture.

Lancer.jpg
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
National Stores. It's hard to tell from the illustration whether the pump has an indicator or an etched cylinder.

National Stores.jpg
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Rheem. Only one model is known. The indicator looks like the indicator commonly found in a G&B T-176.

Rheem.jpg
Rheem

Last edited by Tim Rohr; Mon Apr 08 2013 05:19 AM.
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Used on all Safety Steel models.

Safety Steel Collage.jpg
Safety Steel

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Tim Rohr
Patent # US 1908202 assigned to the American Liquid Meter Company in Alhambra California.

Thanks, found the patent file.

I wondered why it had all the adjustable grooves on the one side. Now I know the reason. Wonder how well it worked?

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Dayton Indicators. I could not find an actual photo of a 400 or 450 pump to confirm that this is the correct indicator.

Dayton.jpg Dayton 1.jpg
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
At least four companies used the shield shaped indicators; American, Boyle-Dayton, Doty and Milwaukee. American, Doty and Milwaukee all used the same style with two rivets through the face holding on the tension clamp and meniscus line which were all one piece.

American
used it on several of it's models.

Doty sales literature only showed etched cylinders but almost all photos I've seen of Doty's have the shield. This doesn't mean they were original to the pump.

Milwaukee had it's own unique shaped indicator but for some reason used the shield on it's 297 & 299 model.

Boyle Dayton used the shield but did not use the spring tension to hold the indicator to the rod. It had its own style of clamp, tightened by a screw to the rod. It's design eliminated the need for rivets through the face.

Shield Shape.jpg Shield Shape BD.jpg Doty Photo Collage.jpg
Last edited by Tim Rohr; Tue Apr 09 2013 12:46 PM.
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Hawkeye-Dart. This is the best I could come up with.

Hawkeye Dart.jpg
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Below are two pictures. One features Keesee and the other shows an indicator previously identified as a Keesee.
I'm convinced now that the second set are actually Boyle-Dayton indicators as shown in my post #401924

The Keesee factory and the Boyle-Dayton factory were both located in southern California. Because of the similarity in the clock style arrow indicators I'm assuming some Keesee pump owners in need of a replacement indicator used the Boyle-Dayton indicators which would have been readily available in the market areas.

Keesee Collage.jpg Boyle Dayton Arrow Markers.jpg
Last edited by Tim Rohr; Wed Apr 10 2013 07:40 PM.
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved