Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
With better pics I can see what they are saying above, so,,,
You are pretty sure it is not original for the face,
You are pretty sure the back and workings are original but to many clocks that could include one of these.
Maybe the clock was a original and the glass face was broken and they could not find a original so they used a plastic face from a re-pop???
It also could be a fantasy piece that used parts from a few different places.
These mysteries are fun to try to figure out tho and if it ends up bieng a repop, then everyone here and everyone that comes across this thread in the future, will be well informed from amazing sources!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mick,
I would stay clear of this one, just to many things that don't look right and there are more clocks faked then any other advertising. It's so easy to do. Look at Ebay! I guess porcelain signs are a close second! LOL

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The process used on newer ad glass and clock faces leaves a very smooth finish on the reverse painted side. Older process left a gritty texture. You can feel it when you drag your finger tips across it.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Listen to your 1st thoughts & Wait for a better one.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I saw this clock in person. I know very little about clocks but I do know a lot were altered or are repops/ fantasy. I sent Mick a couple pictures of it to see what he thought of it and if he was interested in it. Looking at in in person, it looks good to me with my limited subject knowledge. Yes, I do see differences between Micks and the one in question but almost everything in the hobby has variations. Pumps, signs, cans, bottles and globes all have original variations. A differance should be looked at as a possible indicator of a fake but it is only that, a possible indicator.

Back to the original question, is it real or not? I will look at it again from straight on and see if the number alignment is off or if they do in fact line up. If a picture is taken from an angle, it can make things look off square or distorted. I assume if I open the one bulb access door on the back I could run my fingers across of the back of the face and feel if it is smooth or has a rough texture? Are there any other things to look for that could be a good indicator if it is correct or not?

I myself like the style of the numbers on the clock in question better than the one it is being compared to. If it is an original, what would be a fair price for it? It is not mine but it belongs to a friend of mine, he has it for sale now. I sent Mick some pictures and if he wants it I will contact my friend and let him know. If he passes on it, I may buy it after I look it over more.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm not really into clocks,I only have a few,so I don't know about the one under discussion.I will comment that I agree with Wes in that there are variations on a lot of real pieces in this hobby,particularly in signs over time that I can attest to.The three versions of the Texaco Fire Chief and the MC/AX Mobil shield pump plates come to mind.

With that in mind,I personally would not pass on that clock if I wanted it;AFTER,as Wes mentioned,I really looked it over.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mick, is the second picture your clock or the body of the clock in question?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The first two pictures in the thread are of the clock that is for sale that is in question

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One method that can help in determining if it's old or not is to get 'lead' test stuff from Home Depot.

Swipe the clock face and see if it tests positive for lead as well as one of the light sockets.

If it's old it will test positive, if it's newer it won't.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Also in my experience on these clocks, the color of the graphics is usually more telling than anything.

Fonts may change a little as well as positioning of an emblem, but for the most part color shading usually stays pretty consistant.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for all the replies and ideas.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved