Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Well said Lonnie

Thanks, Phil

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Amen Lonnie. I agree fully with what you said. I hardly ever post anything on here but just had to when I read the "tar and feathering". It sounds like everything went well with the buyer and that is great....Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
TKS LONNIE FOR YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS TOPIC...I have seen this topic come up over and over again...I know new members make mistakes and they thought they were doing the right thing based on info from someone they thought they could trust with their info on a specific item because were a collector of certain brand of oil co...Its takes a big man to admit he was wrong especially within this crowd!!!,,I apauld Proud Dad to stand up and admit he maybe was wrong but in his eyes he wasn`t??..maybe he didn`t handle it right in the view of some of our Old Gassers,but he had to do what he felt was right!!! This a great site and I have been on here for a number of yrs and we need to continue to maintain this site in a positive way if we want to continue to bring in new members..
Alan

Big Al`s Garage
Always looking for::
Veedol-Tydol-Tidex-Cycol-Tycol.
To have full disclosure here, you all need to know a couple things. Proud Dad's first two posts in this topic were delayed because I suspected that this topic could turn into a bloodbath while nearly all the moderators were sleeping as has happened in the past. His account was put on a status where his posts had to be held for review while all participants had a chance to cool down.

In the morning, his first two posts were made visible to the public. So the responses by others were not chronologically threaded as normal. In the mean time, some some stood up to hear his side and others added to the criticism. I conversed with Proud Dad by email and a long phone call. His account was returned to normal and he posted a thoughtful reply.

Unmarked repros are a scourge on our hobby. The reaction to the sight of one being sold as genuine stirs serious passion in most of our members. Mistakes may be made by anyone. How you resolve them and how you learn from them is the main thing. We should be vigilant about fraudulent repro sales, but we should also be tactful and open-minded to an explanation, proper action and apology. Sellers who hear feedback that questions their item should have an open mind as well. Risking reputation for a profitable sale should be replaced by caution and waiting for better certainty in the face of questionable authenticity.

In the end, we need to talk things like this over as adults. I'm sorry that some are turned off by disagreements and the exposing of dirty laundry. If this online community can't address the big issues of our hobby, how can things be resolved?

Last edited by Oldgas; Sat Mar 23 2013 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have no regrets about my approach to this or bringing attention to this matter. I single handedly may have prevented someone from buying a fake.

I appreciate Proud_Dad's mature approach to this; after the fact...what do you do when caught with your hand in the cookie jar. At that point better to smooth things out.

He has been on this site for 10+ months and has over 200 posts. Over this 10 month period of time he would have to be pretty naive to not know about my posts and Jim T's posts. At the very least he would have had some sense of our experience.

I certainly wasn't born yesterday. Have worked the streets for almost 25 years...no one pulls the wool over my eyes. I always have and always will speak my mind. No plans to run for president...so this isn't a popularity contest for me. Quite frankly, I never worry about who I offend as long as I don't compromise any of my principles or what I believe in.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Jim. I thought maybe I was getting dementia. Seriously.

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Thanks Lonnie,Mr Jim,and all others that gave there opinion and a reasonable explanation on this.To call a fellow member out with this type of post in a public forum is over the top.Thanks again.Mark

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Totally agree with you on that one Mark .

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Jim;

Thanks for the clarification on Proud Dads comments. By the time I read this post the "tar & feather" crowd was well in to page three.

I do however stand by my comments. A very, very small minority of the people on this site would much rather throw "gasoline on the fire" as opposed to being objective and looking for the best in people and ultimately understanding that there are two sides to every story.

What blows me away is the LARGE number of personal messages that I have received thanking me for my comments and the number of people that said they rarely post because they never know if someone is going to take a comment the wrong way and then they are the one that is getting torn apart.

Guys we have a great site here and a great guy like Jim that puts up with us. Its time to move on and lets just make this the best possible resourse for everyone - both new as well as veteran collectors.

Thanks!

Lonnie Hop

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Online Content
Originally Posted By: olddutchgas
Hi Jim;

the number of people that said they rarely post because they never know if someone is going to take a comment the wrong way and then they are the one that is getting torn apart.

I really dont understand this statement. How can anybody go through life worrying about what somebody else says or thinks, especially on the internet....

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
[/quote]

I really dont understand this statement. How can anybody go through life worrying about what somebody else says or thinks, especially on the internet.... [/quote]

i agree with this 100%....

however for some it gets old dealing with some of the egos, drama, jealousies, hidden identities & agendas, people whose words mean nothing, then on the flip side this sight gives 99% more positive than negative which is why most of us stay...........

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thank you DAVES GARAGE for preventing another one from buying a falsely advertised Repro for big money.

Thank you PROUD DAD for doing the right thing after the sale.

Thank you LONNIE HOP for stepping in and cooiling things down.

Thank you JIM POTTS for being able to handle anything thrown at you with a cool head and perfect response.

A lot happened with this situation and it turned out for the best, If more people did care what happened to others and did not just "stay out of it". Maybe we as a group could combat the repro market bit by bit. Thanks again Dave's garage for stepping up and helping an unknown person from being taken.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Originally Posted By: KZ1000

A lot happened with this situation and it turned out for the best, If more people did care what happened to others and did not just "stay out of it". Maybe we as a group could combat the repro market bit by bit. Thanks again Dave's garage for stepping up and helping an unknown person from being taken.

I believe the repro market is a good thing. How else would many of us restore gas pumps or build a service station at home on a budget.
What needs to happen is a clear line between new and old. Original and reproduction. Sellers need to be clear when listing known reproductions. Nothing to do with this incidence but to all of those sellers who know they purchased the item new and present it as old.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The thing I notice in this thread is that no one has pointed out to Proud Dad,and perhaps other newcomers,what he can do to avoid such problems in the future.

Doug, there a couple of reference books,readily available,that you might consider ordering.First is Vic's catalog.All you have to do is go to page 60 of the 08 catalog and there the sign is,listed at $18 in 08.I mention it because there are well over 50 signs,including many pop pump plates listed.Many of them too are on Ebay all the time.Second,get PCM's book on gas pump restorations and you will notice that apparently Gulf never made such a sign.

Personally,I can assure you that some experienced collectors either don't know as much as you might think,or,for reasons of their own choose to mislead those new to the hobby.We have said it many times on here,BUY THE REFERENCE BOOKS,then you can do your own researce to your own satisfaction.

AS to other issues raised on this thread,I'll stay out of that because I think enough has already been said.My post is intended to perhaps help newcomers along.

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Great post Old Iron!

Since entering the hobby, I have purchased many books, auction catalogs & educate myself every day. Knowledge is power when it comes to collecting. It is simple fact but we all know it will take time. ROME WAS NOT BUILT OVERNIGHT!

Now, a QUESTION to hri_2008

You mention:

“Sellers need to be clear when listing known reproductions. Nothing to do with this incidence but to all of those sellers who know they purchased the item new and present it as old”.

We solved a problem here because the seller was an OLDGAS member. So, 1/1000,000, right?

How can one get the message out to the sellers that you mention above? I believe if they were OLDGAS members, problem would be solved. Right?

Just my 2-cents worth!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved