Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
Sorry, but I'm leaning towards fake. Not an all out expert on Harley stuff but know more than most, been collecting it almost 40 years. First off I can't see Harley using the 36-39 era tank insignias with the Harley-Davidson name removed, they just didn't do things like that. Second, where is the dash between the words Harley and Davidson? I've got Harley memorabilia dating from the 20's up to last week and EVERY one of them has the dash between the two words, Harley-Davidson, without exception. I have never seen it any other way from the factory. Call Milwaukee and see what they say.
Ken

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good point about the dash. Without that you have one name instead of two.
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
N
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
N
Hello..that is a good point about the dash....but, you never know...i am trying to find the background on the sign right now...from the previous owner...a while ago...that should help..he is a old timer.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The museum archives would be the definitive answer for me. If the sign was from the 80's...it would still be 30+ years old. Good luck and keep us posted.
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Notchcad
Does it have any sign makers markings? I've been asking everyone I know and every Harley collector I know trying to sell this thing for you and they all say Harley never used the word "distributor" on a sign. And that its more than likely an 80s-90s made sign.

I showed this to my Dad, which I consider him a Expert in the Antique motorcycle field as he has owned tons of Harley and Indian Memorabilia along with tons of Motorcycles and is still very active in the Hobby. He said the same thing about the word "Distributor" he said it should say Dealer, he said he would steer clear of it.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dash between names, Fonts used,use of the word distributor instead of dealer...Too many red flags. One more curious thing...would involve shape and potential use. It would appear to be a rectangular, sidewalk sign with mounting holes in the graphics/letters? Odd
Dave

Last edited by Catauladave; Thu Mar 21 2013 06:25 PM.

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
N
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
N
Well..again..appreciate the info folks....good information..i shall keep posted. on getting a response from the old timer..thanks again all...

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Pick up the phone call owner of wheels through time-in Maggie Valley NC. He can tell you good sign or you been had. Asking the money your asking you need someone in your court. Or better still call Harley as Dave suggested.

Otherwise just wait for someone to latch on to your oldtimer story and step up too the plate.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
N
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
N
Who knows maybe your right everyone...regardless.. I don't have much into it...I would do $4k. Thanks all

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I sent you an email. I dug in some of the Harley books I have and found a nice picture of the logo used back in the mid-late 30s. It matches yours except for the colors are darker and there is the dash.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Was it on a sign or tank decal?
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: TheRoyalCrown
I sent you an email. I dug in some of the Harley books I have and found a nice picture of the logo used back in the mid-late 30s. It matches yours except for the colors are darker and there is the dash.

...it would be a good idea to post the photo here so we all can see it...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I believe that the decal(I posted earlier) was the last one used before Harley went to the metal emblems in 1940. It would also seem strange that Harley would use a tank decal(they changed every couple of years) on a porcelain sign that was meant to last a much longer period through many model changes. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
And as I had mentioned earlier, they used that same tank decal, or AMF did, in 1980. But again this has the dash in it.

565174056_oc.jpg
N
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
N
Hello all..thank you for all your input..the sign is OFFICIALLY SOLD.!!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved