Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#399117 Wed Mar 06 2013 06:56 AM
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
I received this by email:

"I am writing from a TV production company that is producing a new show that celebrates collectors and collections all over North America - we are looking to work with a petroliana collector who has an extensive collection, beautifully displayed either in their home, garage or other private outbuilding. We are doing 14 episodes in different cities - next up is Houston so a collector in that area would be great but awe would live to hear from any interested collector in the US. Would you be willing to post my contact information on your forum? my email is above. My phone # is 416-466-5888 Ext. 271. I am happy to provide more details! Best, Catherine May"
catherine@architect-films.com

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Catherine

Let's hear more about your company, here on oldgas.com...

Thanks Doug

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...translation:

"Content for TV shows, especially dramas or sitcoms, is expensive to create - so rather than pay writers to come up with something original, we decided to go for the easy money (like everyone else) and produce reality TV!

Would you mind terribly if my crew and I descended upon your home like a plague of locusts, and tied you up for several hours at our convenience, so we can benefit from your years (and considerable dollars) spent assembling your collection? Compensation? Oh, dear me, that's not in the budget...don't you want to see your pride and joy on TV? Good...now sign here...what are you signing?...oh, nothing...it's just boilerplate, basically you're giving us permission to use your collection and likeness in our series...there's an old sorority sister of mine at the History Channel - they're looking for the new 'American Peckers'..."

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
gulffiend! is exactly right.

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
He is right, I know a guy that received the same email and went to the auction on the day it happened. He stated it was a joke and a waste of time.

Thanks, Phil
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Catherine,

If you are reading this,I think there is something you need to understand.Some of us don't really want everyone to know what all we have.There are several reasons I say that but first and foremost,at least in my case,is security.I don't want everyone to know what is inside those buildings when I'm not there.

I do know that a couple of other guys around here with great collections have a standing rule of sorts.No pictures allowed by strangers,and very few by friends.Perhaps some of the other guys have similar feelings.

With that said,I wish you well.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Im sure they have plenty of canidates calling her.

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Our hobby doesn't need that kind of exposure & editing to fit some reality TV producers' ineptness.
I say bye bye Catherine..

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Old Iron
Catherine,

If you are reading this,I think there is something you need to understand.Some of us don't really want everyone to know what all we have.There are several reasons I say that but first and foremost,at least in my case,is security.I don't want everyone to know what is inside those buildings when I'm not there.

I do know that a couple of other guys around here with great collections have a standing rule of sorts.No pictures allowed by strangers,and very few by friends.Perhaps some of the other guys have similar feelings.

With that said,I wish you well.

Our hobby doesn't need that kind of exposure & editing to fit some reality TV producers' ineptness.
I say bye bye Catherine..

that pretty well sums it up.. cool

RANDY
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Hi Old Gas members , All the show would do is drive the price up on what we enjoy doing ,American Peckers is a fine example
Now anyone that has something old they think it worth a GOLD MINE.

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
hmmm seems like some of you spend all your time watching "honey booboo" I'd watch a collector show, split screen with a hockey game. (only reason I know who hbb is from the late night talk shows bashing that bunch) Who wouldn't want a "Oldnfuelish" action figure???? or is that Flavor Flav? You could collect them all "Old Gas action figures" maybe even get a pile of 36B tokhiem pump tops with your Dickie B action figure......<<<big smile>>>

Last edited by oldgoaly; Wed Mar 06 2013 10:50 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't have Cable T V anymore and frankly , I don't miss the stupidity on whats considered "Popular entertainment " either . I'm having way too much fun assembling my latest project ! Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Among our community of collectors, we see and learn a lot of things through asking questions, making contacts and good old fashioned foot/home work. The biggest problem I see here is an over saturation effect from all the exposure. You take a good thing and turn it into the latest cabbage patch toy craze. All of a sudden everybody wants in (for the short run) and prices go all stupid no matter what the item. A pile of junk not worth a piece of broken glass hits the market and wading through it to find the good stuff becomes tedious for the long term collectors. Essentially what you wind up with is a lot of short term investors who eventually get bored, jump out and leave the hobby in shambles for some time. At that point you hope things will return to normal given enough time. As much as I love to talk about my meagere collection to people, this would be one time I'd see no real pleasure in it. And for the major collections, I'd invest in 'round the clock security. Theives will be glued to a show like this salivating on their dinner plates and copy artists will be looking for new material to send to China for quick cheap knock-offs to make a buck on. Think twice before dialing that phone and seeing visions of your name in bright lights.

........Dave
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave , I said pretty much the VERY same thing in an E-mail to Catherine . She told me only collections in certain Large metropolitan areas would be considered . O K , having lived in several "Large Metropolitan cities " this is where I was broken into repeatedly, ie Dallas Texas . I'm fine with sharing the models of former service stations as they can be brought from a secret storage area to be viewed . As for showing what collection I still have , not a chance in hell ! Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Modern day TV has literally thrown a wrench into this hobby. The ongoing dramatizations, far-fetched amounts offered, just make things worse for us average Joes out looking for stuff. I agree with lordparaffin 100%, I wouldn't give them the satisfaction, after all, they only wanna make TV episodes and pull in the big ratings off of our hard work? They can go kick rocks.

Goober

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved