Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#357421 Fri Sep 21 2012 11:52 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A friend contacted me about this old Standard Oil tank wagon bulk can. I have never seen an all brass one before. Appears to be exactly like the common steel ones. Anyone seen one before?....any knowledge of why it may have been made in brass instead of steel?. He paid pretty good for it,it is a cool piece, any ideas on value?

Jim

copper1.jpg copper2.jpg

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W/ the solder appearing to be the same color as can, I'm thinking it has been Plated. Check w/ a magnet.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Jim,
I have a friend that does metal polishing and he has shared with me over the years that he has had customers with Brass transfer cans, Standard, Conoco, Sinclair. He said they were all painted before he stripped and polished them. So, they exist but are uncommon and the ones you want if you collect them. Value on T-Cans imo is whatever someone will pay...to me they don’t have much value unless you’re looking to complete a station theme or wagon.

Have Fun,
Kim

Last edited by SuperAmerica Man; Fri Sep 21 2012 01:38 PM.

Wanted
*SuperAmerica SA, Holiday or Erickson
*Loxtercamp, Greenwald Service, Greenwald Standard Oil.
*Grey Crown Globe, Standard Oil Signs, Posters
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
No matter how you slice it, that thing is beautiful IMO!! I would love one just for the bling. With lights shining off of it it would be cool!! If you don't mind, how much did he have to pay?

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I haven't seen it in person, he descibed the can and it didn't dawn on me just how nice it would look in brass....but then I saw the pictures...Wow!,that is cool. He paid $300.

My thoughts are if it is solid brass he did OK. If it is just plated...probably overpaid?

Do you think some obscure laws somewhere specified non-sparking brass cans, is the reason they exist? I believe they make brass wrenches for the no sparking quality it has.

Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
300.00 doesnt seem crazy at all, if its original. The spark idea seems to make sense.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved