Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#337860 Sat Jun 30 2012 06:43 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I own a former Frontier gas station and have recently taken it from an office building back to its glory days as a shop. Now that i have discovered and resurrected the old hidden windows and other effects, i am keen to gather some items from its former life - namely Frontier (and later Husky) petroliana. The station is 1964 -early 1970s vintage, so any pictures or curiosities from that era Frontier/Husky stations would be of interest. I am particularly keen on Frontier signs from the mid 1960s (or earlier). I would also appreciate any pics of shop and service station store interiors from the mid 1960s.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Watch wild hogs there is a frontier station there.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Where is your station at? I would love to see it some day.

Scott Wright
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I probably have ads for the type of building, so if you supply a picture I will see what I have.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
FG.... I have quite a few snapshots of Husky Stations taken in I think the early 1970's. Let me know the location of yours as some of the ones I have are from Colorado.
I'm going to warn you though it might be awhile till I find them.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
another coloradian!!!!hopefully we can help you with your needs..txs alan

Big Al`s Garage
Always looking for::
Veedol-Tydol-Tidex-Cycol-Tycol.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm a thirty year employee of Frontier and Husky (ret). To be a Frontier station it had to be built before 1967 as that is when Husky bought them out. The reason I brought that up is that I and Rarin-to-go who is a member on this site collect Rarin-To-Go magazines which was the company news magazine. They would feature different stations ocasionally with pictures and owners. Most that I have are from the mid fifties and older. We would still have to know the location and when it was built. Who knows we might get lucky. Mitch

Last edited by 67Chev4X4; Sat Jun 30 2012 11:19 PM.
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks - will check it out as it is one of my favorite movies.

F
OP Offline
F
Guys, I appreciate the prompt and thorough responses. My station was built in 1964 and opened as Tom's Frontier Service (later Lowry Frontier Service). The station's address was 1101 Syracuse Street and it is located on the northwest corner of Syracuse Street and 11th Avenue, immediately adjacent the old Lowry Air Force base (now a 15 year old subdivision) in eastern Denver. As someone indicated, it transitioned to Lowry Husky Service in the late 1960s and appears to have disappeared as a service station in the early 1970s. In 1985, someone finished the inside to make it a print shop and later an office. I have now taken the inside back to period finishings, but the outside is a drab color to blend in with the surroundings, and someone had previously removed the old, large awning that would have covered the pumps. Will catch anything I missed in later posts.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Looks like Tom's opened a little prior to 1964. I have a story in a Rarin-to-Go Magazine dated April 1963 that features a story about Tom's Frontier raising money on March 16, 1963 to help fund the Easter Seal Crippled Children Fund. From the pictures it looks like Toms had one of the rare plastic lighted signs out front with a GS1000 sign below it. It had the plastic letters spelling Frontier on the building

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
The pumps appear to be Tokheim 300-P's with globes on top manufactured from 1955-1960 according to Jack Sim's books.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's a small world. Amazing what information one can unearth by simply asking!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I'm a little confused. You say your station was built in 1964. I did some checking on these twins in this story and found subject index cards from the Denver Public Library Digital Collection. These cards reference stories in the Denver Post Empire section and in the Rocky Mountain News about these twins being selected poster kids in 1964. Not 1963. The Rarin To Go magazine is dated April, 1963 and the story inside says it was in 1963. I doubt they were poster children two years in a row. I wonder if someone at Frontier was still stuck in 1963 when they should have been in 1964. The year 1963 only appears in two places in the mag. On the cover and in this story.

Last edited by RARIN TO GO; Sun Jul 01 2012 03:11 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved