Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#334614 Tue Jun 19 2012 09:12 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Do real Shell pump plates have Made in USA on the bottom,white backs and split grommets?I got asked the question and had to say,"I don't know" because I don't have a real one and don't collect much Shell.or that matter,are split grommets still a solid indicator of authenticity?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Old Iron #334783 Tue Jun 19 2012 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is a real one,NOTE--4 grommets,repops have 3.These are split on the back.The back is black and "USA" on bottom front.Repops are white on the back,at least that has been my experience.You see a lot of Shell pump plates in yellow on ebay,all with a white back and 3 grommets.Originals never made like that or in yellow.Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by hawkike; Tue Jun 19 2012 07:08 PM. Reason: yellow
hawkike #334807 Tue Jun 19 2012 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice pump plate hawkike smile

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
Old Iron #334948 Wed Jun 20 2012 09:28 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
FROM THE APPLES AND ORANGES DEPARTMENT.

Pictured here is the pump plate about which Old Iron is actually inquiring.
There are two versions of this sold on eBay at present.
One is an obvious reproduction and sold as such for around $25
The others that match this one exactly command around $200 to $350 and are sold as genuine 1940s Shell issued plates. One dealer - nekbe - has recently sold two of these, has over 15,000 (yes, that's thousands) feedbacks, guarantees that he does not sell reproductions, and always has some pretty nice stuff up for auction. I might add that the only negative feedback I saw on him concerned shipping and not authenticity.

The reproductions offered on eBay have smooth grommets, but the one in question here has the older style "daisy" brass grommets. It does not have "made in USA" at the bottom and the back is indeed white (like many other genuine pump plates, e.g. Good Gulf, Texaco, etc.)

Again I mention the temptation to quickly condemn an item without actually seeing it or conducting some research.
So, the question remains, what does this community of experts think of the plate pictured here?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Like Frank, I've never seen a yellow Shell Pump plate... PCM shows a yellow plate with a tab on it from the 20s....

I have seen larger Shell signage (approx 2'x2') that was yellow, but not the smaller signage that was meant for a pump.....

Now I do own a repop Shell sign from the late 70s, early 80s(sorry I don't remember the exact year I picked it up).... I keep it because I was "taken" and it is a reminder.....

Here are a few photos of it taken a few minutes ago:

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #334956 Wed Jun 20 2012 10:37 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
How about that! That is the plate we're talking about.
It might just well be an older reproduction and some of them are surfacing as collections get sold through estates and what have you.
How do you know for sure that this wasn't an authentic item?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nekbe has in fact sold reproductions in the past and he refuses to respond to e-mails. I have seen reproductions go through his auctions.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Shell, on their pump plates, used 4 mounting holes.....

My sign looked/looks perfect... good color, almost perfect details.... For 30 years I was on the fence about it.... I had some Collector's who were positive that it was correct... And then a Shell Collector looked at it.... He picked it up, weighed it in his hands... Looked me in the eye and said.... Sorry.... Should have 4 mounting holes....

He told me; the sign looks very good, the split grommets are age appropriate, it is a heavy fully porcelain pump plate.... that is a fake....

When I joined Oldgas, I asked about it and received the same bad news... LOL

After looking at "PCM's Guide to Pump Restoration" and "Encyclopedia of Petroliana".... I see similar looking signs .... and damn it they all have 4 mounting holes.... LOL

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #335003 Wed Jun 20 2012 01:25 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I've never gone by just the grommets as I have a newer repro that has split grommets. I always thought original Shell pp's had the Made in USA at the bottom, but that small type could possibly have been missed during original production on a plate or two in the 30's I would guess.
I hope we are not helping the repro people, as has been stated before on Old Gas, with pointing out what makes these repros incorrect so they can make a "better" product. frown
On the other more important hand, I know these posts are helping to save actual COLLECTORS, not decorators and the plethora of new fly by night "pickers", the heartache of paying too much money for a reproduction sign. I love seeing posts like this and hope that all the members of the site take advantage of this particular section of the forum. I know I didn't look at it for a long time and now know I missed out on tons of information by not checking it out.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #335006 Wed Jun 20 2012 01:28 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Guys, something I observed and question is the following. Would it be safe to say that known originals of this pp always have black backs? All of the originals I've seen for sale have been black.....
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Old Iron #335021 Wed Jun 20 2012 02:49 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well, fooled again. Fortunately, eBay made it good through their resolution center as this was posted as "vintage."
Again, as stated before on these pages, I give up and I'll stand pat! I'll keep what I have, but I am not going to add to or upgrade my collection any longer. These charlatans have ruined this hobby. I'm confident in most of my stuff as I've had some pieces as many as 40 years before the flood of cheap junk hit the marketplace.
Besides, as others have noted, the fun was always in the chase and there's not much to chase out there any more; especially from the 1920s & 30s which is mainly all I collect anyway.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reproduction,a common $15.00 to $25.00 sign.I have had conversations with this ebay seller,he swears they are original.Yes indeed ORIGINAL repops.Shell made bigger signs in yellow and a few are dated-1929 etc.Original pump plates are red,4 grommets,made in USA at the bottom.Ask Butch Greer from Oklahoma about this!

Shell did make a Yellow 2 sided "paddle" sign but that is an entirely different sign,not a pump plate.

Last edited by hawkike; Wed Jun 20 2012 05:04 PM. Reason: paddle sign
hawkike #335097 Wed Jun 20 2012 05:51 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well, there you go.
Old Iron was right as usual and I trust he's pleased.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My original Super Shell PP has no made in the USA mark on the bottom!!! Red with 4 grommets!! Jim

West Coast signs, globes and quarts
hancock-oil #335136 Wed Jun 20 2012 08:12 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Jim, what color is the back of you sign?

Darin Sheffer
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved