Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#32489 Fri Sep 14 2007 09:33 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
To all the good hearted petro fans that are contemplating leaving this site, I hope you will reconsider. You see most of the members here on Oldgas are comprised of common everyday people with an interest in petro related items. Most of us are NOT experts.
I value the opinion of everyone here and hope we can keep a wide variety of expertise and opinions in our petro community.
I think a little ribbing and good natured kidding is healthy for this site as it seems to keep the post alive and makes for some fun reading...we just need to consider where to draw the line on our comments. I dont think we should have to lash out till the moderators step in...they have enough on their plates as it is.
I think most members dabble in petro as a hobby, not for a living. I, being on a limited budget, with limited space, will never have some of the collections as others on this site, but I will continue to have fun with it. I just hope I can continue my daily visits here without seeing some of the present members become past members. I think we all agree, some that have been lost in the past are greatly missed! Lets build the membership, not destroy it.

Kurt

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#32490 Fri Sep 14 2007 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom, I have stated these same feelings that you have on other posts within this site.

I consider you a friend, Tom, and I hope that you will consider to stay in touch. We met from a auction listing that I posted on here some time ago. I have valued your friendship since. I even told my father that it was like meeting myself the first time we met.

Your a good dude.

Like some others have said, don't let a few ruin it. I agree 100% with what you said. I loved what Rex used to post. He truley is a treasure to this hobby.

The bigger anything gets the more contreversy it is bound to create. This site may be a victim of its own success.

I will continue to post and ask questions. This has been the best source of knowledge I have come across concerning this hobby.

If it wasn't for this site I never would have met you or dealt with nice people like Don from NJ or Quartcans, Hubba, the Worshams, and Doc and I know I am forgetting many I have communicated with.

I did sign of the month for awhile and it was fun, but I had too many family things to attend to, to make it work.

This is too valuable a site. I still consider myself a newbie in this hobby. I am still kicking myself for letting those Gulf signs, pole, and holder get away!!

Stick around nochevys, we can see past the negativity and keep this a valuable resource.

I truely value everyone on this site and I too thank Jim and the others for all they do to this keep this up and running.

Hopefully you check this post Tom and decide to keep in touch. My best to you.

[This message has been edited by 59fairlane (edited 09-15-2007).]

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

#32491 Fri Sep 14 2007 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Man if I forget DB, Seth, and Mr. Sim I couldn't sleep. These people are a HUGE resource.

And man can Dick do wonders with a junk can.

Your a wealth of knowledge Mr. Bennett, Mr. Sim, and Mr. Robbins.

Keep up the fight all..............

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

#32492 Fri Sep 14 2007 10:03 PM
I also stopped posting because of the few that seem to find something negative to say about most of the posts. What I really find funny is right now none of them, these few are posting on this subject.

#32493 Sat Sep 15 2007 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would like to say this ....first of all, if I have ever offended any one, it was not intentional...I have a strange sense of humor anyway.
I have had my hands in pumps one way or another for approx, 26 yrs, so I do know a few things. I was a lurker for a few years. When I became a member, I unveiled my clock device. A lot of folks thought it was time for something like that, but some acted like I had taken a whizz on OLD GLORY...They almost ran me off before I got settled in good. This is a site for Trade, Info, Camaraderie. And like every club I have been in, it has it's cliques.
Debate is healthy....For instance the post of the FRY vent....everyone had different opinions and info about where a Fry pump vents from...it turned out Fry vented them different ways.....I saw a lot of good info come out of that post, even though there were several conflicting veiws on the subject.
I also learned real quick, that if you don't cross all your T's and dot All your i's, someone comes out and bashes you....THAT is NOT what this site is for. Not ALL opinions are welcome or healthy.
I have also noticed some of the "bashers" never post a thing untill it is time to pounce !!!! There is nothing wrong with correcting innaccurate info, but have some TACT when you do !!!!!You are scaring the children who want to play !!!!
I have been wrong about things before, and try to appologize when I am, This is something I have not seen much of when the "bashers" do the same.
Some of my posts seem to be long winded ,and over killed, but that is to keep the "bashers" at bay.
The one thing I have NEVER been challenged on, is my knowledge of the computer. I have been doing them for over 20 yrs now....I won't be doing them forever, so it does not hurt me to give out some of the info I have compiled over the years. You guys are welcome to it.
I say DAMN THE TORPEDOES.....FULL SPEED AHEAD!!!!!! The rats are supposed to leave the ship first, not the crew!!!!!!!!
Thank You All Who Read This
Joe

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#32494 Sat Sep 15 2007 06:47 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
A BIG 10-4 JOE

#32495 Sat Sep 15 2007 06:57 AM
Here is a link I posted back in 06 about this same topic.
http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum1/HTML/007062.html

I dont think there is a cure for this, it will get better for a while and then slowly get back to "normal".

I usually bite my tounge on most "slams" towards other people. Sometimes enough is enough and I pipe up. I probably shouldnt, it just feeds the fire.

If I offend anybody..... I am sorry, Im not here to make any one mad

Ryan

------------------
visit my website for original gas pump parts

thepumpdump.com

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

#32496 Sat Sep 15 2007 07:07 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Jim Potts recently clarified the rules of the For Sale forum and seemingly put a controversy to bed. The episode evolved after my somewhat tongue-in-cheek question about a seller’s price. I realize now that was taboo on the For Sale topic and regret bringing it up. However, the ensuing commentary never involved the seller and expanded through comments from other posters. Even after the issue was put to bed, some folks refused to stop and continued to escalate the controversy.

I freely admit to involvement in a few threads where there was disagreement.

----------------------

Edit to remove comments that can escalate conflict

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 09-18-2007).]

#32497 Sat Sep 15 2007 07:37 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Fight the Good Fight! Stick Around!!! It's really about the stuff, not the people. A lot of people are extremely nice and are really great genuine folks, great to be around and all that, but without the hunt of the stuff(and the stuff), they would just be folks that we all would never contact or associate with anyway....... not trying to be cold or heartless, but quite a few people on here get to worried about the personal side and don't just conduct business. Again, not trying to be impersonal or cold, some people just can't be so sensitive. There are different levels of collecting and/or competition in this "hobby". For some, it's not a hobby, it's a way of life and the "armchair" people have to realize this. Fight the Good Fight, Stick Around !!! Dave Hathaway, "The King of All Chicken"

#32498 Sat Sep 15 2007 10:35 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I'm brand new to the site, but I've seen enough that I feel like I can weigh in.

When I first started reading old posts I thought the moderators were a bit tyranical about censoring people on this board. Now, after seeing the behavior of a few people I have completely changed my opinion. I think the moderators are trying to save this board. If anything, I think they could be a little more severe in their actions. Sometimes it is necessary to amputate a limb to save a person's life. It may be time to do the same to save the board.

Pablo, I have been staring at this computer for 15 min trying to find a way to respectfully disagree with your #5. I would hope most people would disagree too. It is not ok to abuse people, even if they are being abusive. It is ok to disagree strongly, but it is never ever acceptable to be abusive, no matter how much you think they deserve it. Never. Ever. You can't justify abuse.

I honestly think #5 is the whole problem here. People perceive they have been attacked and think it is ok to abuse that person right back. It only escalates from there. The sad thing is that often times people feel like they are being attacked when they really aren't. No matter, they escalate the abuse anyway.

Just my 2c.

Tom

Tom
#32499 Sat Sep 15 2007 10:59 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I also wanted to say thanks to the folks that run/moderate this site. It is an incredible resource. I'm amazed at how many times I do a Google search for petroliana-related issues and this site pops up. Love the site. -Tom

Tom
#32500 Sat Sep 15 2007 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I ain't a saint, & have done My share of mud slinging. Most times I didn't throw the 1st mud ball, maybe the last or biggest !
Similar to Immigration, I don't blame anyone for wanting to live & work in this country. WE will never be able to completely stop the illegals from getting here, or the disagreements on this site.
BUT we can be civil about it.
db

I need more DAMAGED CANS to take my frustrations out on! LOL

#32501 Sat Sep 15 2007 04:48 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Unfortunately the arguing and all has left me without much desire to view this site. I rarely look here anymore. Used to be fun, but the fun left somewhere along the line. It has gotten to be a waste of my time to go here anymore so I don't really bother that much.

Some things in life you can control others you can't. Sometimes when I read the negative postings here, I feel badly for the guy that they are attacking, and I don't even know him. So, I control THAT by not looking at the site.

My interests are shifting away from this stuff anyway. Takes too much money to play today. How can you justify ten grand for a globe, which come on folks is only a piece of glass with some paint on it, to have it sit on the shelf and if somebody who sees it doesn't know globes anyway, means nothing to them? Nah, time for something else in life sayanara.......

#32502 Sat Sep 15 2007 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've been 'trashed' by people who frequent and even have moderated sites like this one.
When you do that, what happens when you need a part they make? Call a friend or relative and ask them to buy it for you? It might work but then again it might not.

Some of you put more importance on how many posts you can make and not the content.

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
#32503 Sat Sep 15 2007 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One constant I have learned since the inception of the internet is that one of the easiest things to do is to jump to a quick conclusion about someone on a website.
It is sometimes difficult to understand the true emotion,frame of mind or the desired tone expressed by another through a keyboard,especially when you are complete strangers and have never met.
Maybe this is not necessarily the case here,as many of you do know eachother personally,but I tend to take what I read here or anywhere else with a grain of salt and move on.I prefer to look more for the "content" replies,rather then let the "attitude" replies upset or detour me.
I really don't believe this or anyother website can be accussed of holding one single person in higher esteem,(or lower for that matter),but rather they can be noticed for their knowledge and experience that each & every member contributes & shares with everyone else,regardless of what walk of life they are from.

This is STILL one of THE best websites on the planet in my book.

[This message has been edited by coldpizza (edited 09-15-2007).]

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved