Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well I voted no and my reasons are this and I will probably make some people mad. The people that are selling reproductions or fantasy items are breaking no laws that I know of. I wish all of them were marked and dated it would make it nice. That idea in MHO is living in a dream world. If you could get the company to go after them on trademark infringement laws then that would be another thing. The people that collect reproductions are just as much as a collector as somebody that collects the high end stuff. I have both and proud of it. I enjoy all of it. If your in this hobby to make money lots of luck. Some will but most won't. I buy what I like and can afford. Knowledge is the key. Being a old batchelor when I die whoever can sell this junk and if they make money good for them I won't worry about it but I sure will enjoy it will I'm here. Mitch

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 67Chev4X4
The people that are selling reproductions or fantasy items are breaking no laws that I know of. of

I think your missing the point here....We are talking about "fraud", people who are selling "repos" as "originals"....while I have to agree that Old Gas should not be responsible for bringing these people to justice, however each of us could bring up a "rotten lying cheating theiving seller who is ripping these newbies off every day on ebay, just be a little more civil...I woke up in a great mood....LOL

R
R
I wound up buying 3 fake pump plates from some clown at the CHips gas meet last summer. He got me for $300. Lesson learned.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Interesting discussion.What I find most interesting is that none of us mentioned the problem under JJ's post,"a little advice to the new guys" much less what they can do to protect themselves at least a little bit.I wonder why?BTW,I fault myself

If I make a post under this thread referencing JJ's post "a little advice to the new guys",would that be considered hijacking a thread?There is something I think needs to be said but it may be more appropriate over there.

As to this thread,I think it is "buyer beware"and knowledge about individual pieces is the best one can hope for.

Last edited by Oldgas; Sat Feb 26 2011 09:29 AM. Reason: remove 25 blank lines
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Oops!!That top wasn't supposed to be there!!My bad!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think it ought to be documented ,if there are seller's that are "CLEARLY" deceiving folk's & have made a career out of peddling un-marked signs ,and use various names to hide there real identity!"THATS A BLACKMARKET OPERATION" ,some have been addressed about there business practice & have made the decision to proceed selling unmarked signs,with no respect to the collector community!I think it would be a great source of info to the community!It really surprises me that nobody has had a infringement case brought on them yet,or.... been investigated by the us attorneys office,that is willful infringement for profit!I personally believe the bigger operations are making enough money to turn some heads at the attorney generals office!It's no differt them these folks that are knocking off Rolex's, Tommy Hilfiger ,Purse's,Perfume.....ext it's big business for some! there day will come!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Online Cool
I just started up a new Image Gallery on Shop Talk for troublesome unmarked signs and globes.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=21

This new gallery forum can be a good resource to look up questionable items. One picture per post. There is room for a description to point out tell-tale ways to spot that unmarked reproduction or fantasy sign or globe.

There is no room there for discussion. Keep your questions and discussions on the Unmarked Repro discussion forum.

Please - no personal attacks or name-calling on the new image gallery forum.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved