Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
C
There have been several signs on E-bay I've wanted,but scared to death they are reproductions. I felt it would be a bother to submit a question every time I wanted to buy a sign ( is this real or repo ?) The signs make the shop look great, would hope they would be a good investment. Now I'm checking the known reproduction forum for the sign i might be interested in. Maybe the signs and item #'s could be posted instead of the sellers.I've already seen this on the sight and find it helpful.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't think a separate forum for sellers of unmarked repros would be much different than what gets posted already. We need to keep the pressure on the people making and selling unmarked repros!
Threats of legal action are just that. Threats. The last place the fraudulent sellers want to be is in a court room.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I voted no. Too many problems even beside the huge legal ramifications. Lawsuits are too easy to file these days....and a lot of these guys have money and thier lawyers at hand already.

I think back at all the legit items that were flagged by someone as being fake or suspicious, followed by others chiming in in agreement....until a "big name" finally confirmed it's authenticity.

I think it would be a VERY hard section to moderate. Look how several of the questionable sellers have "dropped in" on the site already...got nasty in a hurry.

Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Could it spun as, "Here are some cool guys selling reproduction signs, and you can barely tell the high quality reproductions apart from the originals! Isn't it special?"

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think it's Best to keep posting the items in the Thread that is already set up,
Known & Suspected Unmarked Reproductions

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=8&page=1

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Mon Feb 21 2011 04:41 PM.
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
I resell most of whatever I buy. I always give a history. I had one sent back for being a repro., even though I said it could be in the auction. I refunded his money and blocked him from buying again. Seller and buyer BOTH should be careful in a auction.
Now this will get taken off here, because of this statement. Do not just pick on Ebay. There are scammers everywhere. Even here, I know for a fact.

Last edited by always lookin; Mon Feb 21 2011 04:32 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Under the known reproductions in the subject maybe put a guys name or ebay name and the whatever it is he is selling like frontier sign? Then in the thread post the details and so on... makes it easy. Not much different than now but the guys name is in the main subject.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I agree with DB. They're getting a lot of airplay on this site,let's keep up the pressure in the catagory we already have for this. ;;;;;;;;;;;;;Ron

The thing to consider is this -
When an individual posts his opinion on a Web site about an object or a person, it is that person's personal responsibility if it comes to litigation.

By doing what we are doing now in the Unmarked Repro forum, the system is transparent with each comment attributable to a specific member.

When the opinions are compiled into an organized published list, the organizer can be held responsible for the end result.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quote:
Maybe the signs and item #'s could be posted instead of the sellers ID

Subject line should contain ie; Fronteir Sign [misspelled like on sign] & A Picture of the sign w description on WHY/WHAT to look for.
Posted auction # or link doesn't do any good after auction is over.
Don't see how that would be a Legality issue.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Mon Feb 21 2011 05:22 PM.
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I voted no ,because of the possable legal promblems it could genarate. It would be great for the new person getting feet wet,such as I. ,I was on looking last night and some,seem to have refined the art of wording. I can't afford big signs but I understand everyone concerns.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
of course the big oil companies could say everyone would have to pay royalties on each repop sign, then they could donate that money to help balance the budget or reduce the corporate handouts they get. (posted with tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I voted no because of the reasons previously stated, but there are also getting to be too many sections on this forum as there is. Just use your heads when buying. If it smells like fish and looks like fish it probably is. You can always ask questions on here.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I voted NO, I don't think we should ask Jim to so something that he has even said would be a bad idea.

I actually don't feel sorry for someone who buys a fake thinking it was an original. If he is so impulsive that he will spend 100s of dollars before asking or seeking information about his purchase, is going to learn an expensive lesson.

We all talk about going to that farm auction where someone buys a visible pump for three times its worth. Nobody says anything about going up to the guy while he bidding and telling him is making a mistake, we just write it off as a lesson in petroliania. Why should we believe that posting a name here on this site will keep someone from being fooled. Besides these sellers change their names daily.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Their is already a Known and Suspect reproductions topic so I say no.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved