Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In a 1 room school house, they were all in the same grade!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I read somewhere on this list, that one definition of 'vintage' is 50 to 100 years old. Well, I'm not vintage yet, but darn near close...

I didn't think I was a life long collector until after reading this thread I looked around and saw all the books I have. I have been collecting and keeping favorite books since I started to read. Until recently, I still had the Dick and Jane book I learned to read on. Not an exciting book to many, but I still remember the excitement of the book because I could read it! I remember the passage in The-Wind-in-the-Willows describing the river--making it a living thing, that inspired me to write. Little House on the Prarie got this suburban kid a job on a farm when I was in college. More exciting, I thought, that working fast food. David Coperfield made me glad of what I had. Chesapeake made me appreciate where I live...stop me now (I can hear the chorus, "Stop her! Stop her!") or I'll go on and on. Jack's Pump book is now part of that collection.

I started the art thing in 2006 and in 2007 started buying a piece of art every year as a Birthday/Christmas gift to myself/from my husband. Included is a piece (in three pieces) that twirls in the wind, from a friend who builds sculptures out of old car parts from his work.

I was taking my time looking at these forums, soaking up stunning visual images, history and weird bits of data before I was going to take the plunge. I thought, if I buy anything, that first object would look interesting and have a patina that might look good in a still life painting. Lately though I've been thinking about this oil can...but the manufact--er--owner is a very wiley fellow. If I can get a-holt of him, it might be the start of something dangerous!

T
T
49 yrs old, been into gas stuff for around 2 years. All started with the soda machines, now the gas stuff has taken over the soda stuff. Met some real nice people on here and in person, whilst in the states. thanks to this website we in the U.K can enjoy it as well..OLDGAS website is the best by far.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
24, I started collecting gas stuffs and anything related to american way of life from 50's for about a year, Hope to find pums and porcelain signs more often, but it's belgium and not common to find those great items here

39 next week and I have been collecting pumps and cars for 13 years.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think the poll shows a much more healthy hobby than I thought. Nice even crossection of ages.

I collected all sort of things starting when I was probably 8 with stamps,then rocks,records,etc. If I get one of something and I like it...more soon follows.

Eventually I collected Model T Fords and Hudsons, went to a large swap meet in about 1985 and saw some Fry visibles for sale but could not buy them then. Decided I needed a visible to go with the T's. Found one pump locally then another and then some signs and eventually the cars all got sold off and the shed was filled with pumps and memorabilia. I bought and sold for a long time with no real specializing.(sure wish I could have some of that stuff back!)

Found some nice Wadhams signs and cans in the early 1990's and decided that was the focus I needed after finding out it was a Wisconsin company and such a long and interesting history...and of course I love the graphics of their advertising....unique. My passion for gas pumps is just as strong and have about 100 in my collection at this time.

51 now ....in the "over the hump" gang. Lost my job 2 years ago so things have been slow being added to the collection lately. Luckily I picked up a lot of the good pieces when they were very affordable. I have to part with more stuff than I want too these days. frown

Jim

Last edited by Mr.Wadhams; Wed Feb 16 2011 08:09 AM.

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Jim, I agree about the better than expected range of ages. Looks like there is plenty of interest there for the geezers to pass on stuff to the middle-agers as they come into more disposable income. And then again to another generation later on.

I think we definitely will have nostalgia for gas powered cars and gas stations as we evolve into using cars that hum and get plugged into an outlet.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with you Jim.
I'm 44 and have been collecting petro for about 15 years.
Also collected things as a youngster, matchbooks, stamps, etc... wish I would not have given all my Hot Wheels to the neighbor kid!

Have a little of everything but seems like pumps are what gets my attention these days. The must have list is getting shorter but the want list is endless. grin

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I'm 41 and if you count stickers from Oil companies and service companies I have been collecting since I was eight. I still have my books of stickers from all of the companies that responded to the letters that I sent out.

Looking for Canadian Imperial and Canadian North Star.
John Neilsen
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm blown away with the response to this and really believe we are fortunate to have such a good representation of all ages which is very good for the present AND future of our hobby. Give yourselves a pat on the back!

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I started out collecting toe nail clippings when I was, Oh say about 6 or 7. I had the largest collection of clippings this side of the Spokane river. My mom found out about my collection and tried to stop me a number of time. She would spank me till I couldnt walk. Then one day, Oh say,it must have been back around 1990 or so. I was skipping down the road and off to my left I see this silver gas pump with some Texaco signs hangen off it. I actualy dropped my gallon rootbeer jug of nail clippings that I was hiding from mom and it broke all over the road. I didnt care!! I just knew that that gas pump had to be mine. I negotiated a deal of $50.00 on the short Tokeheim and never looked back. I used to sleep out there with um I liked them so much. Then my wife comes into the picture. I was trying to have the most gas pumps this side of the Spokane river. At this point I was well on my way to being a full bore gas pump horder. My wife would hit me over the head with her frying pan every time I drug one home. But I didnt care! I was out looking for my next one. Then one day , oh say about 10 years ago the bank stopped by to tell me I didnt have no more money to be out buyen gas pumps with. Well I sat down scratchen the good side of my head and it hit me that I had a problem. I cleaned up and went down to the GPHA meeting with all the other gas pump horders and decided to dedicate my life to practicing what the call "SAFE GAS PUMP COLLECTING" I have been in recovery now for 10 years and am loving life as it comes. Im turning 50 next month and I now have the largest collection of bug legs this side of the Spokane river

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Big 50 in a few months.

Youngest of six boys all raised in my father's Texaco gas station, Ann Arbor, MI from the 50's through the 70's. Station still stands from 1941 and has Full Service on one side of the island.

Started collecting strickly Texaco/Havoline items about 12 years ago. Met several large collectors Keith J. (Puretex), and Erol Tuzcu out of Florida. That's where I received my answers when I wasn't positive on something. Both Keith & Erol have sold their collections in the past few years. I'm following after being diagnosed with Lung Cancer 2 years ago this May. In remission now for 9 months.

For the new guy or gal starting out. I did my collection with one book. Hearing impaired and never once talked to a soul on the phone. Whether it's gas shows, auctions, ebay, books what ever you do, use your eyes. "Study" those old photographs and dates from items on ebay. It's free ! It's all right in front of your eyes. Seek out the knowledgeable ones on here and ask questions. Seek out the guys with large collections, they are just begging to here from you and show off their collections. Trust Me

Good Luck All

Doug

http://billstexaco.com/default.aspx

Last edited by blacktee; Wed Feb 16 2011 07:26 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Doug, is a true collector who is quick to answer answers and share his expertise. I'm very happy to call a number of those who have posted here my friend(s). Doug is one of my closest friends in the hobby. And is a hobbyist who understands firsthand when I get frustrated with my cancer treatments. LOL

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
65 - One of my first jobs at 13 was working in a Texaco station.
I love the history of Gas & Oil companies. The style of the pumps and the artwork of the signs. I buy and sell to support "my habit."
I am lucky to have a 41 year old son to share the hobby with. We do everything in the hobby together and have many mutual friends.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
G
G
just turned 40 seven days ago and started on signs and gas pumps about 10 years ago and now have 21 signs with their poles two southwest visibles a wayne 60 that i got 4 a hundred dollars about 6 bennets and dont know how many other porcelian signs lying around and then about three years ago an early 20s prefab metal gas station and going strong ever since .

Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved