Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
im 28, just a young'en.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil
Right now looks like 73% are age 40 and up.

...but 53% are younger than 50...that's certainly younger than I thought...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
37 and I bought my first gas pump when I was 23!

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It looks to me like it is pretty balanced on each side of age 40. You also have to remember many of the younger people do not have the disposable income to collect anything with house payments, kids, cars, ect. The income to collect many times comes with age. I am thinking the graph looks pretty good.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
I'll be 51 next week. My parents collected antiques and restored 2 old houses which probably explains why I am interested in anything old and history. I have restored my house built in 1791 and my gas pump was on the property. Finally had time to restore it and found this site when looking for information. I only have one pump and 2 globes because my new found interest in petroliana came just as my kids were entering college age. Lots of interest, little money!
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
K
K
I'm 31. Started buying pumps in my mid 20's. Just got married, bought a house and remodeled it in the last year and a half. Next is building a garage later this year. Once that's done hopefully I can get back into buying mode instead of watching (torturing myself) and also get to restoring the pumps I have.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: keithia
You also have to remember many of the younger people do not have the disposable income to collect anything with house payments, kids, cars, ect. The income to collect many times comes with age. I am thinking the graph looks pretty good.

Keith

...yeah, I thought of that too, and retirement leaves more time to pursue hobbies (depending on fixed income, of course) - but you'd also have to factor in the fact that younger people are disproportionally 'tech-savvy' and more likely to visit/post on Oldgas...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I see the oldest collectors 70 years are only 10%. I had someone over who bought my wayne 60 (he was from Sweden) and said the clockfaces were too old for him, he looked to be about early 60s. I was wondering if the early clockfaces could be losing some interest as there are less and less of the older collectors. Mine certainly has not shown the interest I had hoped( Wayne 861, and a Xacto which I sold at a loss.

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I am 73 years old, and started my collecting hobby when I was 15 and in high school. It was all about license plates for the first 40 years. When I realized I had enough Illinois plates to shingle the barn, I decided to try petroleum. One thing I found out, license plates are a lot easier to move than gas pumps.

Norm Huff
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am 35 years old. Started collecting cars and old speed parts with my dad at a very young age. I had my first car at 13. Had to take 2 and make 1. Then started collecting pedal cars and a little petro. Then I bought my first house and my collecting slowed down some. Worked 7 days a week, so I didn't have much time for a couple years. Then I got back into old cars again in my mid 20s and I concentrated on that for around 5-6 years. My dad and mom passed in a motorcycle accident around 4 years ago and I lost interest in cars as my dad and I restored about 30 cars together. Then I switched back to petro as it didn't seem to bring back so many memories. Been mostly petro for the last 4 years, but did slowly start back on the car thing in the last year or 2. Now I try to focus on mostly on Tide Water items, salt and pepper shakers and globes(still learning on these). Now I am back to cars again and am buying and selling to finance my latest projects and petro. Cars and petro go great together! But they are both expensive hobbies! Hope to build a mini- museum in memory of mom and dad in the next couple of years. Petro looks great displayed, but the hot rods are the icing on the cake in a collection.IMO. Glad to see us young guys enjoying a great hobby too! Chad
PS- Toms Toybox is the name that dad and I used for our hot rod shop. Still use it even though Tom is gone. Some things are hard to change!

Last edited by Tomstoybox; Tue Feb 15 2011 08:12 PM. Reason: added sentence

Looking for Tydol-Veedol-Flying A items, especially globes.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
47, started with country store stuff about 15 years ago, moved to soda about 11 years ago, been collecting gas and oil about 8 years now

Chuck
smile
Signs Wanted: Sunset, Clipper, Harbor, Indian Motorcycle, Powerlube, Beacon, Michelin, Conoco MM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
will be 34 soon been collecting around ten years

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Ok, I turned 60 last November and love life.
I have been collecting things for many years, Started with coins, then currency then cars. Best was a real 69 Yenko Camaro and a 81 Yenko Turbo Z car. Both Yenko's were all numbers matching and the 69 still had the Pa. saftey sticker on windshield and had film clips of it running the strip in York, Pa. and the Turbo was a Stage 11 water cooled . Both had build sheets and the 69 even hade the sales receipt from Don Yenko's lot. And the dealer copy of the same receipt bought when the family sold off the dealerships records.
Then I had 6 vettes all stingrays and a 68 1/2 GT500 KR.
My dad had his Model T's in a building aross street from mine and when he passed I feel out of love with the cars as he was not here to enjoy them with me. Both Yenko's went to Chicago to a collector named Steffano Bimbi. He paid me in mid November and had the Yenko's picked up in mid March.Then it was strictly petro.
Started collecting petro in 86 and still going strong..I really love the history of the early oilmen and that Tulsa was the Oil capital of the World,when I was a kid.
I ave met some of the finest people in the world thru this hobby.
Maurice

Last edited by souperhigh; Tue Feb 15 2011 09:50 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
& I always thought you Graduated w/ Jack! LOL

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
From which grade??? LOL

Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings