Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 63 and been collecting for almost 20 years. Have always had an interest in cars and as kids growing up in the 50's & 60's in small-town Kansas, gas stations were where we hung out, worked, etc.

I started with porcelain signs and smalls (S&P's, oil can banks, toys,etc.) and bought almost anything gas station related. I did not have an interest in globes, pumps, or big signs, but eventually ended up with most of them, except cans, as I advanced as a collector.

I find that now it takes something special to spark my interest and those things are usually expensive, which has kind of dampened my enthusiasm. Many of us would like to go back to the early days of Iowa Gas and have another chance to buy. I also find that the "have to haves" come less frequently and it's not hard for me to walk away from over-priced pieces.

Dave

Dave
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'll be 63 in March. I've been interested in collecting old junk every since jr. high or so. My Dad gave me his old '30 Dodge coupe with the idea of letting me drive it to school, which I never did. He also gave me his TOKHEIM 850 that we used on the family farm since 1952 in 1997 when it finally quit pumping and the Co-op sold him a Tokheim Explorer from the 70s. This started my collecting of old gas station stuff.
It's nice to see all of the age groups represented here.
Rod van Pelt

Looking to buy or trade old gas station memorabilia such as pumps, globes, cans, signs, free give-aways, S&P shakers etc. from the 20s-60s.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
44 and started about 8 years ago. Started with some trivial smalls and then a couple quarts which morphed into madness!! I think it's interesting to see the results. It would seem this is a fairly even spread and the trend seems to start early in age which I think holds good news for the future of the hobby. Nice to see everyone jumping in.

Last edited by lordparaffin; Mon Feb 14 2011 01:55 PM.

........Dave
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
49 and I have collecting since about 16. I have been focusing on buy and selling for the last year, after a force retirement in a 30yr career. I have a antique mart with 40 dealers, so finding stuff is easy. Living in Western Pa. its nice to come across all the cool stuff here.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
30 years old this year, been collecting for 3 years now, and havw enjoyed every bit of it!

LUCKY'S LONESTAR GAS & OIL

««Looking for the Sinclair Mobiline and Pennsylvania Motor Oil Vertical Signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
60 yrs...collecting 35+ yrs

RANDY
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I too, hit the 40-49 button and will turn 50 in June as well. Grew up on dairy farm in Carroll Co. Ohio where as a kid I would go to the old dumps on the farm and dig for milk bottles. Family was into antiques somewhat. Started collecting advertising after I got out of school. Mainly soda pop, Tobacco, signs etc. and milk bottles. Took off last 15 years due to job and got back in last spring. That was when I noticed the Gas/Oil stuff as wife's great aunt passed which her husband had a mobil station 1942-1978; I got a few things and got hooked. (this is a great site - thanks)

-Vic

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
funny i thought some of you were older,and some younger.just wanted to suggest to some of the newcomers to put a face to the name on the picture forum!!

Last edited by oldnfuelish; Mon Feb 14 2011 02:21 PM.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
44 in 9 day collecting for about 8 months......at least the gas and oil stuff....

Cities service, Vickers, Gas and Auto neons, next exit/ ahead signs and now I'm getting into globes....

AKA PARIS HILTON!
41 been at it for 20 years plus.... plunged in head first when gulfiend turned me on to old signs and beer..well maybe old signs.

Always looking for good Pure stuff, dude...
S
S
Im 35, Been collecting for around 10yrs.

Started by collecting a lot of Globes, but after a Cross Country move, I've been Serously collecting Oil cans mainly.

Have added a lot of Great cans to my collection via this site, and enjoy all the great daily reading...

Looking for Unique Round Gallon & Quart Antifreeze Cans
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Stamps and coins when I was around 12.
Started cutting out every picture of an old car I could find.
Purchased my first antique car in 1959 after I got out of the Army.
Really got into Model Ts, help start the Model T Ford Car club here in St. Louis. My idea, and I was the first chairman of the Model T Ford Swap Meet, now the longest running swap meet in the mid-west. Bought every piece of T literature I could find.
Got heavy into VWs in the 70s, at one time I owned three split-windows. Bought every piece of VW literature I could find.
Always wanted a gas pump. First pump was a St. Louis visible, cleaned out my first bulk plant around 1978.
Sold my VW literature collection and used the money to purchase 100 gas pump from one bulk plant. Bought every piece of gas pump literature I could find.
Missed the first Iowa Gas, but did attend the 2nd, and almost every one since. Attended the second CTO Convention and have never missed one since then. Started setting up at shows to sell petro items, by the late 90s I was doing 20-22 shows per year.
Always expected Scott Anderson to write another book, but when there wasn't anyone writing a gas pump book I decided to write the book around 2001.
Been mostly a finder and seller, but have had some large collections. Had over 600 different handy oilers at one time.
The rest is history, now almost 76, and after two heart attacks I have decided to slow down. Will always go to Iowa & Columbus every year, and I try to make it to Columbia, MO if the weather isn't bad.
Look for the guy wearing the Korean War Veteran hat.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Mon Feb 14 2011 03:29 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
started about 25 years ago and will be 51 this month. where does the time go!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm 38. Been into old cars for as long as I can remember. Took a part time job in 1994 as an oil changer at a local garage. The owner had an old restored Bennett pump in his showroom, he also had an unrestored Gilbarco 906 out in the shop area just sitting. I liked the Gilbarco and wanted to restore it. After multiple attempts he sold it to me around 1997 or 98. It had Esso Extra Ad glass so I did a spray can restoration to Esso soon after buying it. I have been collecting the stuff since then.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
51.......... Started collecting in 1982

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved