Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm 61 and in a way you could say I've been collecting petro since the day I was born. My parents were still trying to figure out what my middle name should be as they were driving to the hospital. In typical fashion my dad was low on gas and pulled into the first station he came to. It was a Phillips 66 and my middle name has been 66 ever since. wink LOL Not really it's Phillip. Good thing it wasn't a Humble station or something equally strange.

Two of our neighbors owned Sinclair stations and we would always stop at one or the other for gas. Being a typical kid I was always asking for free stuff so I had plenty of Dino items around. (I should have save them ) I did have coin, stamp, and baseball card collections going at one time or another.

I bought my first gas pump when I was in my late 40's. I had an auto repair shop and I thought it would be cool to have a pump on display. Within two years I had 31 of them plus an assortment of signs. This stuff is addictive !

I now live in a small apartment and my collection consists of 40 globes, 80+ signs, one reproduction pump, and various smalls. Basically I live in a man cave ! Life is good.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm 41 and started collecting at 29. When I started I said I was not going to mess with pumps as they are too heavy. I bought 1 a couple years later and that was the end of that!!! LOL Lost track of how many I have bought since then.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 31. I started collecting when I was around 12 or so (my 12th birthday gift was a Texaco Motor Oil rack sign I found at the Swap Meet). I lost interest after I graduated from High School. I picked up a few thing from time to time, but I diffidently wasn't collecting. I just had what I bought when I was a kid. Got back into it seriously this year. I'm glad I did!

Last edited by J.E.Radebaugh; Mon Feb 14 2011 10:01 AM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
31 & STARTED COLLECTING "HUMBLE" BOUT A YEAR AGO,MY FATHER STARTED TAKING ME TO THE AUCTIONS WHEN I WAS ABOUT 8 OR 9 ,WE HAVE A FAMILY AUTOMOBILE DEALERSHIP & CAR'S ARE IN OUR BLOODLINE,SO IT WAS JUST THE MATTER OF TIME BEFORE I CAUGHT THE PETRO BUG!ACTUALLY WHEN MY GRANDFATHER PASSED AWAY HE LEFT SOME STUFF BEHIND THAT HE COLLECTED FROM HUMBLE OIL WHO HE HAD ALMOST 40 YEARS WITH & WAS A VERY COMPANY DEDICATED MAN! ANYWAYS I WENT TO PICK UP A 1950 FORD I BOUGHT LAST YEAR & THERE WAS THE TOKE 39,AND THATS ALL SHE WROTE! HERES A BEFORE & AFTER! I HAVE THE PETRO BUG BAD!

_1.jpg _2.jpg
Last edited by DIESEL; Mon Feb 14 2011 10:33 AM. Reason: LOOK AT THE COAT HANGER!LOL...THATS AWESOME!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 37. It all started with the purchase of a Wayne 70 in 1993. Soon after my dad and I were hauling stuff home by the truckload...

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Collecting Texaco "stuff" was part & parcel of my 25 years
with The Texas Co(Texaco)-now that I am in my 74th year there
is less adding but more subtracting. It is a great hobby and
hopefully the younger collectors will continue to preserve the
original petroleum memorabilia of all brands
Dann

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm creeping up on my 57th birthday.

I occasionally traveled with my father on his "picking trips" as a youngster of 4 or 5. I started collecting in 1965, with my first can(still have the can, a quart Oilzum).

Been collecting, trading and selling ever since. At times more actively than others.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
I'm 61. When I was 16, I bought a 52 Ford Victoria with a blown up Pontiac 389 from my buddy. Started going to Hershey in '72 looking for parts. Then in 1983, I found an “old” telephone in an antique shop. Started investigating - found out it was a reproduction - that kicked off the telephone habit. Used to hit all the antique markets in PA with a buddy of mine who collected antique radios. In 1989, I saw a red Veedol can one morning - thought it was neat– and figured that collecting cans was another good way to empty my bank account. Then it was off to Iowa and Columbus. The rest is history!!!

I started around 1980 so about 30 years (65yo)I started with old toys and it came along with that interest. I worked at 12yo in a service station after school and wound up in the auto service industry for most of my life. Still work in the Auto performance field.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
well i still hit the 40- 49 button cause i wont turn 50 till june.have always been into old cars,since a kid.my 1st car was a 67 camaro conv,with a straight six. always wanted an old gaspump to put in front of the garage,so one day about 6-7 years ago i went and saw "mildred the pump lady"over in richmond,il(anybody ever heard of her?)since then its snowballed into a great hobby! no cars left,i got tired of working on em.luckily my wife likes it to so it works out well!!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I will be 63 in December. My first petro purchase was two globes from the Adamstown, PA flea market back in the early 1980s. I bought my first pump a Fry 17 that I still have around 1987. I retired after 23 year in the Air Force in Dec 1993 and moved back to the midwest. With more time my collecting became more advanced. For the last 16 years I have attended 3 to 4 major gas shows per year. My interests include smalls (gas pump S&Ps, sign pole thermometers and banks), pump signs, globes and pumps. Have sold off a few things to help pay my children's college tuition but still looking to add to my collection.

Bill Fortune
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice stories. Heading to my mid 50s. Started by accident almost 20 years ago. My son was born and we called him Mackenzie. (Mac for short) and I started buying some diecast oil banks that were the 1926 Mack edition. Texaco had a few. So, if you have a diecast car you need a pump plate to accesorize and then a globe and a few more signs, then a pump to put the signs and globes on, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited by Alex; Mon Feb 14 2011 01:01 PM.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I will be 28 this year. Been buying old signs and antiques since I was around 10.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I just hit the big 70! I've always liked old things ever since I was a young kid. I was born & raised on a dairy farm. Went to neighbor farmer on errand, & spotted a Fry 17 complete with perfect blue cylinder laying in the weeds. When I asked what he was going to do with it, he said that the scrap man was getting it later that week, UNLESS I WANTED IT! Needless to say, it was the first of many, but here it is still in good shape in our entryway. It's become sort of a family treasure over the years! P.S. Neighbor farmer found the original globe for it 20 years later & gave it to me also!

001.JPG
My freebie first pump!

Last edited by Savinsam; Mon Feb 14 2011 12:41 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'M 51 AND I'VE BEEN COLLECTING FOR 26 YEARS, OR ABOUT HALF MY LIFE! LOL!
I STARTED IN LATE 1984.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved