Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
I am 35. I started collecting when I was 22 years old.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am 54, started collecting about 1990.
I am what most on here call a Brand Specific Collector. Marathon / Ohio Oil company items only.
Been working for them since 1984. Found a cool Marathon oil can transistor radio at a yard sale one day, and the hunt was on for what else I could find.... Thrill of the hunt, is what I enjoy most.
Chuck

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'll be 25 in May and have been collecting since 2006. Wes got into this stuff and dragged me right into it with him.

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
23, Started going to flea markets when I was 11. Bought mostly car parts from the 30's (Grills, hub caps, ect)...I stayed away from signs due to the cost. Just started getting into the bigger stuff. Started out with some cans about 2 years ago. Lost interest in cans and started with signs. Before gas stuff I collected and restored 1950's Fridges, Hamilton Beach Milkshake Mixers, and 50's tables. This is a great hobby but get's expensive when you get into the good stuff.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will turn 50 this year. My grandpa had a Sinclair bulk plant. When he retired dad and another guy bought them out. Sinclair later turned to ARCO here in Ohio and before dad retired they were selling Pennzoil. Dad always collected something, arrowheads, watch fobs, old cars and guns. He started to bring home outdated stuff from the buisness when it was considered junk or throwaway. My older brother and I also collected stuff from since we were kids. He started on the gas and oil back when already, I got into it after I took a couple days off when I was in the Air Force to meet my family at some of the gas shows in Missouri and Iowa. At the time on GI pay, I could not believe some of the money they paid for the stuff. (Bargains on some of it now...)I also got to see Jackie Knotts collection on the way back from the Iowa Gas show. WOW, what a collection of stuff. Plus I could look in the Sinclair Collectibles book and see the very same signs hanging on his wall. I bought my first real porcelain sign from Jack and have been buying ever since. That was in about 2003. I collect mostly Sinclair stuff because of the family tie in. The arrowheads, guns and military history books have been put on the back burner but I did not sell any to finance the new collection yet.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Older than Grass, younger than Dirt!

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
68, started in early 80's. Bought a sign of a Lombard chain saw out of an old general store for $6. Went to the Iola car show about the same time and saw a guy leaving there with an old gas pump in his pickup. My dad had been a Cities Service bulk plant operator and I was his truck driver for a couple years. I went back home and back to our old customers and rounded up truck loads of gas pumps and cans. Signs at that time and globes weren't a big deal and I passed up all that wasn't Cities Service. This year I'm going back to Iola with my restored 41 IH gas truck and it will be parked in Blue Ribbon Concours area for display, already done with the entry and paperwork. After that it's for sale. Met lots of good guys and one not so good.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
38. Started collecting petrolania at age 15.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I'm 25. I loved all things cars as far back as I can remember. Fell in love with old pumps as a kid when I saw a large display of 10+ pumps, signs and other petro in an antique store. I made friends with a city employee in high school who used to get me old traffic signals from the city's junkyard. Then, I met a wheeler-dealer with a bunch of gas pumps. I interested him in a trade, and at the age of 17 I traded a car load of traffic signals for my first Tokheim 39. Has been history ever since.

Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Makes me think of the very start of it. I started collecting something when I was just a kid. There was a Steak 'n Shake restaurant about 2 miles away from our house. I rode my bike and walked all the time in the area, always looking around. They had curb service back then. Each carhop had a number and they put a 6" square plastic number under each car's windshield wiper. I would find the numbers along the road and take them home. Drove my Mom crazy with hanging them all up in my room. Had dozens. After a while I was on a quest to get those numbers missing when I displayed them in order. I had been bitten by the collecting bug.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 56 and it all started when I bought my first Model A Ford 24 years ago - I got the car and then I needed a pump to go with it. Then the pumps started to multiply along with the signs and more cars.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
57, and collected cars 1st then switched to gas pumps and neons because I could get more into my storage. Less money also. Been collecting gas and oil for almost 30 years, and now have been going the other way. Just like to fix things and have them light up.

Craig
G
G
I just turned 72 this month. Have collected for several years to the point I don't know what all I have. Love Pan Am, Marathon. Just about to finish my 36B M# JAC. Will send pictures when finished.

I'll be 63 this year......3 years ago I bought a 1966 T-bird convertible,(fully restored as close to original as possible). I built a "high-end" pole barn....completely finished the inside including in-floor heat to store the T-bird but something was missing.....so last year, I started collecting petrol items to compliment the look in the barn. I have an original Pegasus "cookie cutter" horse sign, 2 Bennett 646 pumps, 1 Wayne 515 and 1 Wayne 519 visible pump, 1 Bennett 810 visible pump, a Vendo 44 coke machine,(original and almost new), 23 pump globes, (2 are original), working traffic light and "walk/don't walk light, and 4 vintage pedal cars. I am now searching for a clock-face pump.

Last edited by baugie; Mon Feb 14 2011 09:00 AM.
I'm 24 and have been collecting signs, old traffic lights, and now gas pumps since I was about 20. Like Baugie above, I started with a couple '60s Mustangs, then wanted the cool garage environment to surround them.

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved