Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
With the current discussion on the future of our hobby, I'd like to poll members on their age. We hear often that it is mostly old guys, but I see a range of ages at swap meets and here on Oldgas.com.

Please click your age group and post a reply telling us when you started collecting petroliana.

(This serves as this week's "Choice of the Week" and was posted in General Discussion to poll the mainstream members)

How old are you?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: Mon Feb 14 2011 06:14 AM

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
I remember bringing home an occasional petroliana sign or two in the 1970s from work. But I didn't think of myself as a petroliana collector until 1995 when I wrote an interview of Ron Throckmorton for a print collector publication. Seeing his oil bottles and other cool petro shifted my focus. And it lead me to start this Primarily Petroliana Web site in 1996.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I will be 41 this year, collecting for 15 of those.

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi- In about 1989 I decided I needed a hobby-Thought I would restore a few cars etc as that was what I was always into- Bought a couple 54 ford Pickups- An Edsel -a Ford Convertible and a couple others- It didnt take long to figure out i did not enjoy crawling under a car taking off a 50 year old muffler as much as I used to- Then somewhere I came upon a book on Oil collectables be Scott Anderson- looked at all the neet stuff -couldnt beleive the prices- used to throw all this stuff out- and figured I knew where to find lots of this stuff. I knew every gas station for miles around--wrong- most had been thrown out but the hunt started. My son and I went looking on weekends etc.First thing we came back with was a 6 ft Texaco sign- about grade 2- tied to the top of my Suburban.
Then it was off to Carlisle- Hershey- Columbus- DesMoines etc-collected everything is sight-- after a few years I figured out there was about a million cans etc and decided to specialize on 5 qts. To me they displayed better than qts as long as you had the room.
Been lots of fun- lots of great people- One thing I miss is the early east coast shows where there were 100 plus people lined up outside the waiting to race in and grab the good stuff before the next guy. everything is a little more relaxed now.
Great site-lets hear from everyone here- thanks don PS - will be 75 July 4th

Last edited by 5 quart; Mon Feb 14 2011 06:58 AM.

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm a ripe old 62 and I didn't start collecting until I retired back in 2005! I really didn't have a lot of time for this kind of thing back then as I was involved in a wide variety of business's and hobbies! As things slowed down, I started looking for something to take up my free time and I found a gas pump---the rest is history!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just turned 40 2 months ago and i started collecting when i was right at 29 years old.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

Into gas stuff about 5-7 years. Started out in Soda, restoring machines still have about 10 of them, signs ect.

Slowly selling soda stuff off to finance gas stuff.

same addition different drug.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Turned 54 last November.

I started out buying my first pump about 1987 or so. I just wanted an old gas pump to go beside my 1977 Formula Firebird.

It kinda snowballed from there. LOL

Now I have a Display Area in the Chicken Coop aproximately 1,500 sq. ft.

My collection's direction has changed over the years. I was always into pumps mostly - especially after I got Jack's first book and saw what was out there to be collected.

But since I started producing lenses for the restoration market, I have started to collect original globes too.

And I dragged The Keeper into the hobby when I married her. She collects 'advertizing' globes and Ice Cream signs.

Later . . .

Jim

D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
I'm 34, been collecting petro seriously since I was 30 and bought my first nice sign, the Red Crown thermometer my brother found for me in a barn. It had been in the same town locally since it was made.
Even when I was little I liked the Pegasus symbol, one of the classic signs of Americana. Although there hasn't been a Mobil station in my area since the late 1970's, for some reason I was drawn to the brand and it's been "my" brand to collect for the last few years. I see something new almost every week still, so it's exciting to see what might show up for sale.
All around I've been a collector since age 10. Stamps, coins, autographs, the list goes on and on, and I don't think I'll ever stop collecting. It's just in my nature I think.....
Take care,
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I'm 43...I started collecting advertising signs as best as I could when I was 13...'under my skin', 'in my blood', whatever...I'm hooked...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will be 34 this year, been collecting for about 7 years now. I have been interested in this stuff since I was about 13 or 14, thats when my Dad brought home his first Gas Pump and I thought it was really Cool.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am 35 now and I started when I was 30 or 31 can't remember now. I started out collecting fire dept memorabilia. I wanted a fire chief gas pump so I found one and restored it. Since then I have not bought anything fire related. All I buy now is petro stuff. It's funny how these things happen. I do not ever remember seeing a globe on a pump but man I love having them in my basement.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 56 and here is my story.

I started out has antique/glass picker for a friends of mine when I was in the Navy. Got out of the Navy and kept picking and started to sell some myself. One day back in 1992 I found a pair of Hy-Flash lens from Miller Oil and that started that collection. But then I started on Hi-Speed Gas/Hickok and a mild interest in Paragon Refining from Toledo. It has proved to be interesting.

When I was 18 I worked at a Shell Gas Station...have no interest at all.

Randy grin

Always looking for Hy-Flash Gas/Miller Oil, Hi-Speed Gas/ Hickok Oil and Paragon Refining items from Toledo,Ohio.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 34 and been collecting petro stuff for about 8-9 years. Before that I collected old bottles/license plates since I was 9.

Brian

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Im 42 and have been collecting for about 8 years...
I worked at a gas station pumping gas as a kid in the 70's...
I wish I had started collecting back then!

Online Content
I am 35. I started collecting when I was 22 years old.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am 54, started collecting about 1990.
I am what most on here call a Brand Specific Collector. Marathon / Ohio Oil company items only.
Been working for them since 1984. Found a cool Marathon oil can transistor radio at a yard sale one day, and the hunt was on for what else I could find.... Thrill of the hunt, is what I enjoy most.
Chuck

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'll be 25 in May and have been collecting since 2006. Wes got into this stuff and dragged me right into it with him.

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
23, Started going to flea markets when I was 11. Bought mostly car parts from the 30's (Grills, hub caps, ect)...I stayed away from signs due to the cost. Just started getting into the bigger stuff. Started out with some cans about 2 years ago. Lost interest in cans and started with signs. Before gas stuff I collected and restored 1950's Fridges, Hamilton Beach Milkshake Mixers, and 50's tables. This is a great hobby but get's expensive when you get into the good stuff.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will turn 50 this year. My grandpa had a Sinclair bulk plant. When he retired dad and another guy bought them out. Sinclair later turned to ARCO here in Ohio and before dad retired they were selling Pennzoil. Dad always collected something, arrowheads, watch fobs, old cars and guns. He started to bring home outdated stuff from the buisness when it was considered junk or throwaway. My older brother and I also collected stuff from since we were kids. He started on the gas and oil back when already, I got into it after I took a couple days off when I was in the Air Force to meet my family at some of the gas shows in Missouri and Iowa. At the time on GI pay, I could not believe some of the money they paid for the stuff. (Bargains on some of it now...)I also got to see Jackie Knotts collection on the way back from the Iowa Gas show. WOW, what a collection of stuff. Plus I could look in the Sinclair Collectibles book and see the very same signs hanging on his wall. I bought my first real porcelain sign from Jack and have been buying ever since. That was in about 2003. I collect mostly Sinclair stuff because of the family tie in. The arrowheads, guns and military history books have been put on the back burner but I did not sell any to finance the new collection yet.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Older than Grass, younger than Dirt!

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
68, started in early 80's. Bought a sign of a Lombard chain saw out of an old general store for $6. Went to the Iola car show about the same time and saw a guy leaving there with an old gas pump in his pickup. My dad had been a Cities Service bulk plant operator and I was his truck driver for a couple years. I went back home and back to our old customers and rounded up truck loads of gas pumps and cans. Signs at that time and globes weren't a big deal and I passed up all that wasn't Cities Service. This year I'm going back to Iola with my restored 41 IH gas truck and it will be parked in Blue Ribbon Concours area for display, already done with the entry and paperwork. After that it's for sale. Met lots of good guys and one not so good.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
38. Started collecting petrolania at age 15.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I'm 25. I loved all things cars as far back as I can remember. Fell in love with old pumps as a kid when I saw a large display of 10+ pumps, signs and other petro in an antique store. I made friends with a city employee in high school who used to get me old traffic signals from the city's junkyard. Then, I met a wheeler-dealer with a bunch of gas pumps. I interested him in a trade, and at the age of 17 I traded a car load of traffic signals for my first Tokheim 39. Has been history ever since.

Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
Makes me think of the very start of it. I started collecting something when I was just a kid. There was a Steak 'n Shake restaurant about 2 miles away from our house. I rode my bike and walked all the time in the area, always looking around. They had curb service back then. Each carhop had a number and they put a 6" square plastic number under each car's windshield wiper. I would find the numbers along the road and take them home. Drove my Mom crazy with hanging them all up in my room. Had dozens. After a while I was on a quest to get those numbers missing when I displayed them in order. I had been bitten by the collecting bug.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 56 and it all started when I bought my first Model A Ford 24 years ago - I got the car and then I needed a pump to go with it. Then the pumps started to multiply along with the signs and more cars.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
57, and collected cars 1st then switched to gas pumps and neons because I could get more into my storage. Less money also. Been collecting gas and oil for almost 30 years, and now have been going the other way. Just like to fix things and have them light up.

Craig
G
G
I just turned 72 this month. Have collected for several years to the point I don't know what all I have. Love Pan Am, Marathon. Just about to finish my 36B M# JAC. Will send pictures when finished.

I'll be 63 this year......3 years ago I bought a 1966 T-bird convertible,(fully restored as close to original as possible). I built a "high-end" pole barn....completely finished the inside including in-floor heat to store the T-bird but something was missing.....so last year, I started collecting petrol items to compliment the look in the barn. I have an original Pegasus "cookie cutter" horse sign, 2 Bennett 646 pumps, 1 Wayne 515 and 1 Wayne 519 visible pump, 1 Bennett 810 visible pump, a Vendo 44 coke machine,(original and almost new), 23 pump globes, (2 are original), working traffic light and "walk/don't walk light, and 4 vintage pedal cars. I am now searching for a clock-face pump.

Last edited by baugie; Mon Feb 14 2011 09:00 AM.
I'm 24 and have been collecting signs, old traffic lights, and now gas pumps since I was about 20. Like Baugie above, I started with a couple '60s Mustangs, then wanted the cool garage environment to surround them.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm 61 and in a way you could say I've been collecting petro since the day I was born. My parents were still trying to figure out what my middle name should be as they were driving to the hospital. In typical fashion my dad was low on gas and pulled into the first station he came to. It was a Phillips 66 and my middle name has been 66 ever since. wink LOL Not really it's Phillip. Good thing it wasn't a Humble station or something equally strange.

Two of our neighbors owned Sinclair stations and we would always stop at one or the other for gas. Being a typical kid I was always asking for free stuff so I had plenty of Dino items around. (I should have save them ) I did have coin, stamp, and baseball card collections going at one time or another.

I bought my first gas pump when I was in my late 40's. I had an auto repair shop and I thought it would be cool to have a pump on display. Within two years I had 31 of them plus an assortment of signs. This stuff is addictive !

I now live in a small apartment and my collection consists of 40 globes, 80+ signs, one reproduction pump, and various smalls. Basically I live in a man cave ! Life is good.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm 41 and started collecting at 29. When I started I said I was not going to mess with pumps as they are too heavy. I bought 1 a couple years later and that was the end of that!!! LOL Lost track of how many I have bought since then.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 31. I started collecting when I was around 12 or so (my 12th birthday gift was a Texaco Motor Oil rack sign I found at the Swap Meet). I lost interest after I graduated from High School. I picked up a few thing from time to time, but I diffidently wasn't collecting. I just had what I bought when I was a kid. Got back into it seriously this year. I'm glad I did!

Last edited by J.E.Radebaugh; Mon Feb 14 2011 10:01 AM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
31 & STARTED COLLECTING "HUMBLE" BOUT A YEAR AGO,MY FATHER STARTED TAKING ME TO THE AUCTIONS WHEN I WAS ABOUT 8 OR 9 ,WE HAVE A FAMILY AUTOMOBILE DEALERSHIP & CAR'S ARE IN OUR BLOODLINE,SO IT WAS JUST THE MATTER OF TIME BEFORE I CAUGHT THE PETRO BUG!ACTUALLY WHEN MY GRANDFATHER PASSED AWAY HE LEFT SOME STUFF BEHIND THAT HE COLLECTED FROM HUMBLE OIL WHO HE HAD ALMOST 40 YEARS WITH & WAS A VERY COMPANY DEDICATED MAN! ANYWAYS I WENT TO PICK UP A 1950 FORD I BOUGHT LAST YEAR & THERE WAS THE TOKE 39,AND THATS ALL SHE WROTE! HERES A BEFORE & AFTER! I HAVE THE PETRO BUG BAD!

_1.jpg _2.jpg
Last edited by DIESEL; Mon Feb 14 2011 10:33 AM. Reason: LOOK AT THE COAT HANGER!LOL...THATS AWESOME!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 37. It all started with the purchase of a Wayne 70 in 1993. Soon after my dad and I were hauling stuff home by the truckload...

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Collecting Texaco "stuff" was part & parcel of my 25 years
with The Texas Co(Texaco)-now that I am in my 74th year there
is less adding but more subtracting. It is a great hobby and
hopefully the younger collectors will continue to preserve the
original petroleum memorabilia of all brands
Dann

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm creeping up on my 57th birthday.

I occasionally traveled with my father on his "picking trips" as a youngster of 4 or 5. I started collecting in 1965, with my first can(still have the can, a quart Oilzum).

Been collecting, trading and selling ever since. At times more actively than others.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
I'm 61. When I was 16, I bought a 52 Ford Victoria with a blown up Pontiac 389 from my buddy. Started going to Hershey in '72 looking for parts. Then in 1983, I found an “old” telephone in an antique shop. Started investigating - found out it was a reproduction - that kicked off the telephone habit. Used to hit all the antique markets in PA with a buddy of mine who collected antique radios. In 1989, I saw a red Veedol can one morning - thought it was neat– and figured that collecting cans was another good way to empty my bank account. Then it was off to Iowa and Columbus. The rest is history!!!

I started around 1980 so about 30 years (65yo)I started with old toys and it came along with that interest. I worked at 12yo in a service station after school and wound up in the auto service industry for most of my life. Still work in the Auto performance field.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
well i still hit the 40- 49 button cause i wont turn 50 till june.have always been into old cars,since a kid.my 1st car was a 67 camaro conv,with a straight six. always wanted an old gaspump to put in front of the garage,so one day about 6-7 years ago i went and saw "mildred the pump lady"over in richmond,il(anybody ever heard of her?)since then its snowballed into a great hobby! no cars left,i got tired of working on em.luckily my wife likes it to so it works out well!!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I will be 63 in December. My first petro purchase was two globes from the Adamstown, PA flea market back in the early 1980s. I bought my first pump a Fry 17 that I still have around 1987. I retired after 23 year in the Air Force in Dec 1993 and moved back to the midwest. With more time my collecting became more advanced. For the last 16 years I have attended 3 to 4 major gas shows per year. My interests include smalls (gas pump S&Ps, sign pole thermometers and banks), pump signs, globes and pumps. Have sold off a few things to help pay my children's college tuition but still looking to add to my collection.

Bill Fortune
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice stories. Heading to my mid 50s. Started by accident almost 20 years ago. My son was born and we called him Mackenzie. (Mac for short) and I started buying some diecast oil banks that were the 1926 Mack edition. Texaco had a few. So, if you have a diecast car you need a pump plate to accesorize and then a globe and a few more signs, then a pump to put the signs and globes on, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited by Alex; Mon Feb 14 2011 01:01 PM.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I will be 28 this year. Been buying old signs and antiques since I was around 10.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I just hit the big 70! I've always liked old things ever since I was a young kid. I was born & raised on a dairy farm. Went to neighbor farmer on errand, & spotted a Fry 17 complete with perfect blue cylinder laying in the weeds. When I asked what he was going to do with it, he said that the scrap man was getting it later that week, UNLESS I WANTED IT! Needless to say, it was the first of many, but here it is still in good shape in our entryway. It's become sort of a family treasure over the years! P.S. Neighbor farmer found the original globe for it 20 years later & gave it to me also!

001.JPG
My freebie first pump!

Last edited by Savinsam; Mon Feb 14 2011 12:41 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'M 51 AND I'VE BEEN COLLECTING FOR 26 YEARS, OR ABOUT HALF MY LIFE! LOL!
I STARTED IN LATE 1984.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 63 and been collecting for almost 20 years. Have always had an interest in cars and as kids growing up in the 50's & 60's in small-town Kansas, gas stations were where we hung out, worked, etc.

I started with porcelain signs and smalls (S&P's, oil can banks, toys,etc.) and bought almost anything gas station related. I did not have an interest in globes, pumps, or big signs, but eventually ended up with most of them, except cans, as I advanced as a collector.

I find that now it takes something special to spark my interest and those things are usually expensive, which has kind of dampened my enthusiasm. Many of us would like to go back to the early days of Iowa Gas and have another chance to buy. I also find that the "have to haves" come less frequently and it's not hard for me to walk away from over-priced pieces.

Dave

Dave
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'll be 63 in March. I've been interested in collecting old junk every since jr. high or so. My Dad gave me his old '30 Dodge coupe with the idea of letting me drive it to school, which I never did. He also gave me his TOKHEIM 850 that we used on the family farm since 1952 in 1997 when it finally quit pumping and the Co-op sold him a Tokheim Explorer from the 70s. This started my collecting of old gas station stuff.
It's nice to see all of the age groups represented here.
Rod van Pelt

Looking to buy or trade old gas station memorabilia such as pumps, globes, cans, signs, free give-aways, S&P shakers etc. from the 20s-60s.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
44 and started about 8 years ago. Started with some trivial smalls and then a couple quarts which morphed into madness!! I think it's interesting to see the results. It would seem this is a fairly even spread and the trend seems to start early in age which I think holds good news for the future of the hobby. Nice to see everyone jumping in.

Last edited by lordparaffin; Mon Feb 14 2011 01:55 PM.

........Dave
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
49 and I have collecting since about 16. I have been focusing on buy and selling for the last year, after a force retirement in a 30yr career. I have a antique mart with 40 dealers, so finding stuff is easy. Living in Western Pa. its nice to come across all the cool stuff here.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
30 years old this year, been collecting for 3 years now, and havw enjoyed every bit of it!

LUCKY'S LONESTAR GAS & OIL

««Looking for the Sinclair Mobiline and Pennsylvania Motor Oil Vertical Signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
60 yrs...collecting 35+ yrs

RANDY
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I too, hit the 40-49 button and will turn 50 in June as well. Grew up on dairy farm in Carroll Co. Ohio where as a kid I would go to the old dumps on the farm and dig for milk bottles. Family was into antiques somewhat. Started collecting advertising after I got out of school. Mainly soda pop, Tobacco, signs etc. and milk bottles. Took off last 15 years due to job and got back in last spring. That was when I noticed the Gas/Oil stuff as wife's great aunt passed which her husband had a mobil station 1942-1978; I got a few things and got hooked. (this is a great site - thanks)

-Vic

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
funny i thought some of you were older,and some younger.just wanted to suggest to some of the newcomers to put a face to the name on the picture forum!!

Last edited by oldnfuelish; Mon Feb 14 2011 02:21 PM.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
44 in 9 day collecting for about 8 months......at least the gas and oil stuff....

Cities service, Vickers, Gas and Auto neons, next exit/ ahead signs and now I'm getting into globes....

AKA PARIS HILTON!
41 been at it for 20 years plus.... plunged in head first when gulfiend turned me on to old signs and beer..well maybe old signs.

Always looking for good Pure stuff, dude...
S
S
Im 35, Been collecting for around 10yrs.

Started by collecting a lot of Globes, but after a Cross Country move, I've been Serously collecting Oil cans mainly.

Have added a lot of Great cans to my collection via this site, and enjoy all the great daily reading...

Looking for Unique Round Gallon & Quart Antifreeze Cans
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Stamps and coins when I was around 12.
Started cutting out every picture of an old car I could find.
Purchased my first antique car in 1959 after I got out of the Army.
Really got into Model Ts, help start the Model T Ford Car club here in St. Louis. My idea, and I was the first chairman of the Model T Ford Swap Meet, now the longest running swap meet in the mid-west. Bought every piece of T literature I could find.
Got heavy into VWs in the 70s, at one time I owned three split-windows. Bought every piece of VW literature I could find.
Always wanted a gas pump. First pump was a St. Louis visible, cleaned out my first bulk plant around 1978.
Sold my VW literature collection and used the money to purchase 100 gas pump from one bulk plant. Bought every piece of gas pump literature I could find.
Missed the first Iowa Gas, but did attend the 2nd, and almost every one since. Attended the second CTO Convention and have never missed one since then. Started setting up at shows to sell petro items, by the late 90s I was doing 20-22 shows per year.
Always expected Scott Anderson to write another book, but when there wasn't anyone writing a gas pump book I decided to write the book around 2001.
Been mostly a finder and seller, but have had some large collections. Had over 600 different handy oilers at one time.
The rest is history, now almost 76, and after two heart attacks I have decided to slow down. Will always go to Iowa & Columbus every year, and I try to make it to Columbia, MO if the weather isn't bad.
Look for the guy wearing the Korean War Veteran hat.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Mon Feb 14 2011 03:29 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
started about 25 years ago and will be 51 this month. where does the time go!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm 38. Been into old cars for as long as I can remember. Took a part time job in 1994 as an oil changer at a local garage. The owner had an old restored Bennett pump in his showroom, he also had an unrestored Gilbarco 906 out in the shop area just sitting. I liked the Gilbarco and wanted to restore it. After multiple attempts he sold it to me around 1997 or 98. It had Esso Extra Ad glass so I did a spray can restoration to Esso soon after buying it. I have been collecting the stuff since then.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
51.......... Started collecting in 1982

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I'm 31. Started restoring/collecting/making a living at this when I was 13.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
47 this year...been collecting since 1980 and got my 1st pump then too,while sitting next to my 1st car I bought..People here wondered what I was going to do with a gas pump,now they want to know if I will sell it.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
As I look over the ages, I'm a bit surprised. Actually thought the hobby was for "OLD FOLKS" like me, 63. Collecting one thing or another all my life. Gas stuff for 25 years. Now I'm beginning to think that this hobby will be around for a long time as the ages I see are of youngsters. Makes me happy to know there are some to carry on. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 44 and have been collecting something since I was a kid. I started out collecting model cars and Wacky Package stickers. Then as a teenager it was SS Chevelle's. I got into Coca-Cola items in 1988 when I bought a Vendo 23 deluxe. I bought my first oil can (Cardboard Skelly can I still have) for $3.00 at the Lawrence, KS swap meet in 1995. I also bought my first gas pump for $15.00 that year which I still have. I went to my first Iowa Gas in 1996 and have been every year since and will continue to go every year. I miss the days of looking through old bulk plants full of signs, cans, and pumps. My greatest memory is the pump grave yard in Hannibal, MO (some of you on here saw the same thing) and the 100's of unrestored pumps, ad glass, signs, and lubsters that were left for dead. I only have pictures and a fading memory of that experience. I don't do this for an investment or get caught up in where prices will be in 5, 10, or 20 years. I collect and attend shows because I have fun and I will never stop. I can't imagine doing anything else.

-Matt
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
OK,I'll be 57 next month. Started with cars the day I turned 12. I helped a guy dragrace his new 66 SS 396 Chevelle. Got interested in gas and oil about 18 years ago. I have been into street rods for 30 years. No sign of giving any of it up,and havin a ball.

Last edited by oilmanpat; Mon Feb 14 2011 05:39 PM.
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I just turned 61 last month... Been into motor sports since I was 16 years old.. started racing motor cycles at the desert then ventured off into racing off road cars in the desert and Baja 1000... From there started collecting 50 Chevys then it happen .. I bought my first porcelain gas sign to go in the garage and I now have about 1200 sign and 100 gas pumps--- REALLY GOT IT BAD !!! The best part of all of this hobby for me is meeting the people and secondary collecting gas & oil sign and collecting and restoring gas pumps.. The neat thing is my wife understands the addiction and fines items for my collection.... Tom Schilling -South California

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm almost 62(March 26, 2011). I started collecting gas and oil stuff and pre-1960 toy trucks in 1990.

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Man, theres a lot of us in that 60,61, 62, age group!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Almost 62, NOT as OLD as some, just been around too long!
Been accumulating this stuff since '78. Bought my 1 st complete pump in Gotebo, Ok. from Kyle Moore's Uncle Bruce.

G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
I'm 60, been collecting for about 20 years. Been restoring Model T's and A's since I was in high school. Richard

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I will be 41 this October &have been doing this for about 10 years.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 28, I started collecting (spending my own money) about 6 years ago. My dad just turned 57, he has been collecting for 30+ years. I feel very fortunate to have grown up with this hobby. I first attended Iowa gas when I was 7 and Hershey when I was about 10. My brother and I would often travel to various shows with our dad and his collector friends. At an early age they began educating us on the hobby and tips from their own 40+ years of collecting experience.

I owe much of my passion (Obsession) for this hobby to my father and a few great friend that we have made over our journey, some of which are members\ lurkers here.

Keith

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
JUST TURNED 43 AND COLLECTING FOR ABOUT SIX YEARS, MY DAD GOT ME HOOKED . I DONT SEE STOPPING ANYTIME SOON, HAVING TO MUCH FUN!!!!

collecting standard oil items
Tim Flannery
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Im 17, been around old cars and antiques since I was little and I think thats what got me interested. I bought my first old sign about a year ago and have got a few more since. Although my collection isnt huge or perfect signs, I love every one of them.
Tyler

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Some great stories. I'm 61, and been into cars since I was 15. Had a 57 Chevy, 58 Chevy and a 34 Ford chopped pick-up when I was 16. Was always into collecting, but didn't get my first pump until 1995. My wife bought it for me for my birthday, and found the next two, also. She still sometimes spots a pump before I do.
Into pumps, service station equipment, signs, globes and old pedal cars and tractors.

Buddy

Always looking for Standard Oil of Indiana, or any globes!
Buddy Koehrn
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just turned 53, I have been collecting for about eight years or so. Started out with a Gulf five quart can - been having a great time since. Brady

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I'm 41 and started collecting at 25 after turning up an early Texaco grease tin while going through stuff for my grandfathers estate sale in Nebraska. That led to a few more cans, a gas pump, a couple signs...you know the rest of the story!
chris

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am 44. I have been collecting sense a little kid. I have always liked old stuff. When I used to play with cars and trucks I wanted the old stuff from the flea market instead of new from the toy store. I got into petro in 1995.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am 36 and started collecting around 12 years ago. I started because of my Grandpa. He was an avid collector several years ago and had over 100 globes in his collection and he would lite them up for me. I loved the colors and pictures of the globes. So when I got out of college and started working I went to an auction an bought a Texaco gill globe which started the madness. Luckly I was able to buy 5 of my Grandpa's globes but I wasn't able to buy the really good globes he had like the Musgo, Oil Creek or Aero globes.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
42. Been collecting for as long as I can remember. My family has always been "collectors" Met some really nice people in this hobby and through this forum. It's just alot of fun.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I loved playing w/ Gasoline when I was a kid!!!!!!
It went to my brain !!!!..LOL
When I was 6-7yrs ('68-'69) my cousin opened the fill cap on the tank and put this nozzle of this pump in the tank and started pumping.
I GOT IN MORE DANG TROUBLE,,,, playing w/ the gas pump !!!!

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I'm 39 and according to my checkbook I've been a collector since 3-29-2010. Ok maybe I'm not a collector but more of a pump rescuer. This pump was owned by the children's museum in town and after they moved to thier new location they decided to get rid of it and they were going to take it to the dump. Shocked, I made a donation to the museum and it came home with me that day. Now....I'm hooked. But I could stop anytime, if I wanted to.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Life is like a video game. The more you play, the better you get!!!
I am now 55 and have loved antique cars for about 50 yrs. Have been woking on my 37 Buick for 25 years and just got back to it
3 years ago. The petro stuff came and went. I pumped gas at my dad's friends Pennzoil station around 1970. I remember buying gas at a country store dispensed from a visible. And about 1972 when a pal of mine moved into an older home asked me if I would like any of the old stuff in the garage before the former owner cleaned it out. About 25 pump globes all on the floor. Stacks of enamled signs against the walls. I was able to have 2 FLEET WING signs A FLEET WING with Ethel Globe and a Mobilgas with ethel lens. Never found out what happened to the rest.I still have these and display them.

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Im 26. I've been collecting since I was 21. Always looking for nice Sinclair Stuff. Jeff

I am looking for Nice Condition Signs, Globes, Etc. from the Sinclair HC era and older for my Sinclair Station.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DasFast1
Quote:
But I could stop anytime, if I wanted to.

FAMOUS WORDS, Maybe your wife Believes you BUT WE KNOW YOUR LYING!
YOUR ADDICTED [PERIOD]

P
P
I'm 64 and started collecting when the company I was working for (Superior Oil Company - Houston) was acquired by Mobil in 1985.

Richard

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I'm 17. I was hauled around to all the auctions as a small child. It got in my veins. Started buying/selling/collection antiques around the age of 10. Its paid for a truck and continues to put gas in it, plus a little more! LOL

Brandon Ferguson
Central City, KY
Farm Related Advertising
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Old enough to know better...but still do it...58
I have always collected something...been collecting gas and oil for 15+ years but didn't get real serious until I retired and and had more time.
I have some cars and trucks, vintage and antque firearms, civil war currency, gas oil, country store related signs, and yada, yada , yada.... Years ago my wife said you need to find something else besides cars and trucks. Found my first sign (free) that 42' gulf sign had so many holes in it that it could be used as a pasta strainer. Hung my new find up and then a pump...a wayne 100. it was like a garnish on a plate to highlight the cars...
now years later my wife told me that if she had known that this hobby was more expensive that cars and trucks I would have told you to continue(LOL). Don't have as many cars and trucks a I use to, but sure have a lot more signs, pumps,globes, etc..
OBTW, I still have that pasta strainer and will never let it go.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
T
TC Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Hi, I'll be 61 next Monday. Started in 1974 at a friends place, he had a clearvision double that intrigued me.Mostly been into cars before that. Paid 40 bucks for my first double back then and started collecting. I really liked globes, so now I have 140 Canadian globes and 2 pumps, service station double clearvision and service station ecometer, always looking for globes I don't have. I'll probably stop when I'm pushing up daisies. Ted Czerechowicz or Ted Alphabet.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 20 and have been collecting old stuff for a while now. Usually just some small old things that I think are interesting and my first big old item was a score projector that I bought from a bowling alley that converted to automatic scoring. Spent a few days working on that thing and love it. Even made some parts in the metal shop at high school. Last year I got my second big item a 1960's pepsi machine and this year I got my first gas pump. Also got a few pop related items like a 7up clock from the 70's and a few pop cans (love those things since they are small and don't take up much space and I can afford them) Nothing too old but I like the stuff I got.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
55 & collected gas & oil & GM stuff off & on for about 20 years. Always liked old stuff,; kinda getting back into collecting car stuff again (flathead speed equipment, tripowers, factory dual quad set ups, etc.) Still get wound up over good west coast gas stuff tho!!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will be 54 in a couple of weeks and have been collecting for about 12 years now.
Always liked cars, all sorts and years and have been drivin' a 1966 Mustang Fastback for the last 29 years.
My first can was a Ford Brake Fluid, and shortly after I bought a pump, then 2 more, then...you know the story...
Focusing the first years on Mobil, then started to diversify a bit and buy things that I like from most gas companies.
//Claes

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
73 years old. Probably the first thing that I could say that I collected was guns. Not many but a few because I was hunting alot. About 18 or 19years old. Then I went to Germany in the army and came back with some beer mugs. So thats when I started collecting. Worked in a wrecking yard when I was 12. My boss bought a Standard station and I worked there during high school. Looking for pictures of that place so I can restore a pump like it had. I've got the globes. Went to work for Frontier Refining in 73 and retired in 2003. Brought my first gas pump home around 1995 and my first globe about the same time. I have a 41 Lincoln Zephyr so when I saw a Zephyr globe I had to have it. That was the beginning of the addiction. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. Mitch

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
51 and still buying. I could have payed for my habit by selling some along the way, but i find it hard to let it go. LOL I got my first pump when i was in my 20's, from a buddy's aunts farm, it was a 10 gallon American and i still have it. I've got to work on the selling thing! LOL

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
S
S
i will be 45 this year. i start about 5-6 years ago. i have 3 gas pumps,some signs and misc. things. my kids [two girls 13&16] like some of the thing i bring home.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will turn the big 40 next Novemeber.I started collecting around 1991.Wow it's been 20 years.Where did the time go?
Joe

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just turned 47 and been collecting gas/oil since I was about 28. Into cars/motorcycles etc.. before. My buddy and I found a Tokeim 39 on a farm, bought for $50 and restored. Did in Gilmore, so every time I went to cut the light on the date on the globe bothered me so I started calling around to find a real one. Got on the phone with Scott Benjamin and when he said one was worth about 7000 in 1992 a light went off in my head and I decided I wanted to collect real globes.... The rest is history....

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I'm 47 and started about 6 years ago. I was finishing my basement and thought a pump would look good down there. Well, it's now several pumps, an oil cabinet, a lubester, signs, globes, cans.....I can't help it.

Ed
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I'm 35, been collecting seriously for about 15 years now.

I've always collected stuff, from coins to rocks to street signs... Was drawn to petroliana, especially signs, for reasons unknown.

The down side I'm not able currently to display all my signs since I don't have a shop building. I've built a pretty impressive collection though...

Last edited by DCpate; Tue Feb 15 2011 07:45 AM. Reason: added more info.

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Turned 46 this past weekend.Have bee collecting stuff since I was 9 years old..My parents were Antique deales and I was pretty much raised in auction halls! Started with coins, then to tin toys...then took some time off to build a nice collection of lady friends...then settled down to collecting Ford stuff and now in the past 2.5 years have added Gas and Oil to the list.

Colin Latreille
Always looking for Quality Canadian Oil & Gas & Ford Signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Will hit the big Five O this year. Been collecting signs about 10 yrs. Collected,
Bugs, Rocks\fossils, matchbooks (wonder where those are) and vinyl records as a kid. Went to an auction to buy a Buick sign to go with my 70 GS. Fell in love with the look of a room packed with all different signs and the rest is history.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I almost slipped under the 60's wire,but not quite.I just turned 70.I've been collecting about 30 years(guns,RR lanterns,oil lamps,beer mugs etc)but really got into gas&oil about 10 years ago.I had some before that but wasn't really into it until I got my first pump.

At the time I was into old trucks and tractors and just wanted a pump to complement them.My first one was a short Tok 39.Now I have changed over almost completely to gas/oil/shop with a STRONG component of shop stuff like tools,tool boxes,spark plug cleaners and old tune-up equipment.I'm trying to layout displays in such a way that I can show many of the great things available to collect in this hobby in the hope that visitors to my plac will want to become involved.

BTY, I'm down to two trucks and no tractorsLOL>

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
64, I have been collecting something most of my life from baseball cards , match book covers, marbles and such when I was young to guns when I got out of the service to shoot, which I still do enjoy doing. I started on gas and oil about 16 years ago mostly Champlin related stuff as the Champlin refinery was in my home town just down the street from where I lived.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I'm 53 and recently retired early,during cut back where I worked. Not sure I'm done working,but I have made it work so far.Was exposed to junk stores,flea markets early on as my dad dealt in antique furniture. He would repair, refinish,and we would load two vans full, and hit the flee market,in hopes we came home empty.Have collection of beer cans,small vintage motorcycles replicas,guns,just getting feet wet in gas,and oil,as garage is now empty,after running circle track race cars,for about 10 years. Wasn't sure I fit in topic, but been collecting something all my life.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Right now looks like 73% are age 40 and up.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
im 28, just a young'en.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil
Right now looks like 73% are age 40 and up.

...but 53% are younger than 50...that's certainly younger than I thought...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
37 and I bought my first gas pump when I was 23!

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It looks to me like it is pretty balanced on each side of age 40. You also have to remember many of the younger people do not have the disposable income to collect anything with house payments, kids, cars, ect. The income to collect many times comes with age. I am thinking the graph looks pretty good.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
I'll be 51 next week. My parents collected antiques and restored 2 old houses which probably explains why I am interested in anything old and history. I have restored my house built in 1791 and my gas pump was on the property. Finally had time to restore it and found this site when looking for information. I only have one pump and 2 globes because my new found interest in petroliana came just as my kids were entering college age. Lots of interest, little money!
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
K
K
I'm 31. Started buying pumps in my mid 20's. Just got married, bought a house and remodeled it in the last year and a half. Next is building a garage later this year. Once that's done hopefully I can get back into buying mode instead of watching (torturing myself) and also get to restoring the pumps I have.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: keithia
You also have to remember many of the younger people do not have the disposable income to collect anything with house payments, kids, cars, ect. The income to collect many times comes with age. I am thinking the graph looks pretty good.

Keith

...yeah, I thought of that too, and retirement leaves more time to pursue hobbies (depending on fixed income, of course) - but you'd also have to factor in the fact that younger people are disproportionally 'tech-savvy' and more likely to visit/post on Oldgas...

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I see the oldest collectors 70 years are only 10%. I had someone over who bought my wayne 60 (he was from Sweden) and said the clockfaces were too old for him, he looked to be about early 60s. I was wondering if the early clockfaces could be losing some interest as there are less and less of the older collectors. Mine certainly has not shown the interest I had hoped( Wayne 861, and a Xacto which I sold at a loss.

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I am 73 years old, and started my collecting hobby when I was 15 and in high school. It was all about license plates for the first 40 years. When I realized I had enough Illinois plates to shingle the barn, I decided to try petroleum. One thing I found out, license plates are a lot easier to move than gas pumps.

Norm Huff
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am 35 years old. Started collecting cars and old speed parts with my dad at a very young age. I had my first car at 13. Had to take 2 and make 1. Then started collecting pedal cars and a little petro. Then I bought my first house and my collecting slowed down some. Worked 7 days a week, so I didn't have much time for a couple years. Then I got back into old cars again in my mid 20s and I concentrated on that for around 5-6 years. My dad and mom passed in a motorcycle accident around 4 years ago and I lost interest in cars as my dad and I restored about 30 cars together. Then I switched back to petro as it didn't seem to bring back so many memories. Been mostly petro for the last 4 years, but did slowly start back on the car thing in the last year or 2. Now I try to focus on mostly on Tide Water items, salt and pepper shakers and globes(still learning on these). Now I am back to cars again and am buying and selling to finance my latest projects and petro. Cars and petro go great together! But they are both expensive hobbies! Hope to build a mini- museum in memory of mom and dad in the next couple of years. Petro looks great displayed, but the hot rods are the icing on the cake in a collection.IMO. Glad to see us young guys enjoying a great hobby too! Chad
PS- Toms Toybox is the name that dad and I used for our hot rod shop. Still use it even though Tom is gone. Some things are hard to change!

Last edited by Tomstoybox; Tue Feb 15 2011 08:12 PM. Reason: added sentence

Looking for Tydol-Veedol-Flying A items, especially globes.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
47, started with country store stuff about 15 years ago, moved to soda about 11 years ago, been collecting gas and oil about 8 years now

Chuck
smile
Signs Wanted: Sunset, Clipper, Harbor, Indian Motorcycle, Powerlube, Beacon, Michelin, Conoco MM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
will be 34 soon been collecting around ten years

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Ok, I turned 60 last November and love life.
I have been collecting things for many years, Started with coins, then currency then cars. Best was a real 69 Yenko Camaro and a 81 Yenko Turbo Z car. Both Yenko's were all numbers matching and the 69 still had the Pa. saftey sticker on windshield and had film clips of it running the strip in York, Pa. and the Turbo was a Stage 11 water cooled . Both had build sheets and the 69 even hade the sales receipt from Don Yenko's lot. And the dealer copy of the same receipt bought when the family sold off the dealerships records.
Then I had 6 vettes all stingrays and a 68 1/2 GT500 KR.
My dad had his Model T's in a building aross street from mine and when he passed I feel out of love with the cars as he was not here to enjoy them with me. Both Yenko's went to Chicago to a collector named Steffano Bimbi. He paid me in mid November and had the Yenko's picked up in mid March.Then it was strictly petro.
Started collecting petro in 86 and still going strong..I really love the history of the early oilmen and that Tulsa was the Oil capital of the World,when I was a kid.
I ave met some of the finest people in the world thru this hobby.
Maurice

Last edited by souperhigh; Tue Feb 15 2011 09:50 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
& I always thought you Graduated w/ Jack! LOL

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
From which grade??? LOL

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In a 1 room school house, they were all in the same grade!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I read somewhere on this list, that one definition of 'vintage' is 50 to 100 years old. Well, I'm not vintage yet, but darn near close...

I didn't think I was a life long collector until after reading this thread I looked around and saw all the books I have. I have been collecting and keeping favorite books since I started to read. Until recently, I still had the Dick and Jane book I learned to read on. Not an exciting book to many, but I still remember the excitement of the book because I could read it! I remember the passage in The-Wind-in-the-Willows describing the river--making it a living thing, that inspired me to write. Little House on the Prarie got this suburban kid a job on a farm when I was in college. More exciting, I thought, that working fast food. David Coperfield made me glad of what I had. Chesapeake made me appreciate where I live...stop me now (I can hear the chorus, "Stop her! Stop her!") or I'll go on and on. Jack's Pump book is now part of that collection.

I started the art thing in 2006 and in 2007 started buying a piece of art every year as a Birthday/Christmas gift to myself/from my husband. Included is a piece (in three pieces) that twirls in the wind, from a friend who builds sculptures out of old car parts from his work.

I was taking my time looking at these forums, soaking up stunning visual images, history and weird bits of data before I was going to take the plunge. I thought, if I buy anything, that first object would look interesting and have a patina that might look good in a still life painting. Lately though I've been thinking about this oil can...but the manufact--er--owner is a very wiley fellow. If I can get a-holt of him, it might be the start of something dangerous!

T
T
49 yrs old, been into gas stuff for around 2 years. All started with the soda machines, now the gas stuff has taken over the soda stuff. Met some real nice people on here and in person, whilst in the states. thanks to this website we in the U.K can enjoy it as well..OLDGAS website is the best by far.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
24, I started collecting gas stuffs and anything related to american way of life from 50's for about a year, Hope to find pums and porcelain signs more often, but it's belgium and not common to find those great items here

39 next week and I have been collecting pumps and cars for 13 years.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think the poll shows a much more healthy hobby than I thought. Nice even crossection of ages.

I collected all sort of things starting when I was probably 8 with stamps,then rocks,records,etc. If I get one of something and I like it...more soon follows.

Eventually I collected Model T Fords and Hudsons, went to a large swap meet in about 1985 and saw some Fry visibles for sale but could not buy them then. Decided I needed a visible to go with the T's. Found one pump locally then another and then some signs and eventually the cars all got sold off and the shed was filled with pumps and memorabilia. I bought and sold for a long time with no real specializing.(sure wish I could have some of that stuff back!)

Found some nice Wadhams signs and cans in the early 1990's and decided that was the focus I needed after finding out it was a Wisconsin company and such a long and interesting history...and of course I love the graphics of their advertising....unique. My passion for gas pumps is just as strong and have about 100 in my collection at this time.

51 now ....in the "over the hump" gang. Lost my job 2 years ago so things have been slow being added to the collection lately. Luckily I picked up a lot of the good pieces when they were very affordable. I have to part with more stuff than I want too these days. frown

Jim

Last edited by Mr.Wadhams; Wed Feb 16 2011 08:09 AM.

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
Jim, I agree about the better than expected range of ages. Looks like there is plenty of interest there for the geezers to pass on stuff to the middle-agers as they come into more disposable income. And then again to another generation later on.

I think we definitely will have nostalgia for gas powered cars and gas stations as we evolve into using cars that hum and get plugged into an outlet.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with you Jim.
I'm 44 and have been collecting petro for about 15 years.
Also collected things as a youngster, matchbooks, stamps, etc... wish I would not have given all my Hot Wheels to the neighbor kid!

Have a little of everything but seems like pumps are what gets my attention these days. The must have list is getting shorter but the want list is endless. grin

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I'm 41 and if you count stickers from Oil companies and service companies I have been collecting since I was eight. I still have my books of stickers from all of the companies that responded to the letters that I sent out.

Looking for Canadian Imperial and Canadian North Star.
John Neilsen
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm blown away with the response to this and really believe we are fortunate to have such a good representation of all ages which is very good for the present AND future of our hobby. Give yourselves a pat on the back!

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I started out collecting toe nail clippings when I was, Oh say about 6 or 7. I had the largest collection of clippings this side of the Spokane river. My mom found out about my collection and tried to stop me a number of time. She would spank me till I couldnt walk. Then one day, Oh say,it must have been back around 1990 or so. I was skipping down the road and off to my left I see this silver gas pump with some Texaco signs hangen off it. I actualy dropped my gallon rootbeer jug of nail clippings that I was hiding from mom and it broke all over the road. I didnt care!! I just knew that that gas pump had to be mine. I negotiated a deal of $50.00 on the short Tokeheim and never looked back. I used to sleep out there with um I liked them so much. Then my wife comes into the picture. I was trying to have the most gas pumps this side of the Spokane river. At this point I was well on my way to being a full bore gas pump horder. My wife would hit me over the head with her frying pan every time I drug one home. But I didnt care! I was out looking for my next one. Then one day , oh say about 10 years ago the bank stopped by to tell me I didnt have no more money to be out buyen gas pumps with. Well I sat down scratchen the good side of my head and it hit me that I had a problem. I cleaned up and went down to the GPHA meeting with all the other gas pump horders and decided to dedicate my life to practicing what the call "SAFE GAS PUMP COLLECTING" I have been in recovery now for 10 years and am loving life as it comes. Im turning 50 next month and I now have the largest collection of bug legs this side of the Spokane river

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Big 50 in a few months.

Youngest of six boys all raised in my father's Texaco gas station, Ann Arbor, MI from the 50's through the 70's. Station still stands from 1941 and has Full Service on one side of the island.

Started collecting strickly Texaco/Havoline items about 12 years ago. Met several large collectors Keith J. (Puretex), and Erol Tuzcu out of Florida. That's where I received my answers when I wasn't positive on something. Both Keith & Erol have sold their collections in the past few years. I'm following after being diagnosed with Lung Cancer 2 years ago this May. In remission now for 9 months.

For the new guy or gal starting out. I did my collection with one book. Hearing impaired and never once talked to a soul on the phone. Whether it's gas shows, auctions, ebay, books what ever you do, use your eyes. "Study" those old photographs and dates from items on ebay. It's free ! It's all right in front of your eyes. Seek out the knowledgeable ones on here and ask questions. Seek out the guys with large collections, they are just begging to here from you and show off their collections. Trust Me

Good Luck All

Doug

http://billstexaco.com/default.aspx

Last edited by blacktee; Wed Feb 16 2011 07:26 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Doug, is a true collector who is quick to answer answers and share his expertise. I'm very happy to call a number of those who have posted here my friend(s). Doug is one of my closest friends in the hobby. And is a hobbyist who understands firsthand when I get frustrated with my cancer treatments. LOL

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
65 - One of my first jobs at 13 was working in a Texaco station.
I love the history of Gas & Oil companies. The style of the pumps and the artwork of the signs. I buy and sell to support "my habit."
I am lucky to have a 41 year old son to share the hobby with. We do everything in the hobby together and have many mutual friends.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
G
G
just turned 40 seven days ago and started on signs and gas pumps about 10 years ago and now have 21 signs with their poles two southwest visibles a wayne 60 that i got 4 a hundred dollars about 6 bennets and dont know how many other porcelian signs lying around and then about three years ago an early 20s prefab metal gas station and going strong ever since .

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
I'm going to be 69 next month. I missed this and Dick Benett sent it to me. For good or bad Dick had a lot to do with my getting in or at least staying in. For those that don't know Dick, he's one of the nicest (unless he's in a bad mood which dosen't happen much anymore) and most knowledgable guys I know. I think that's what you call a two fisted complement. My wife and I started collecting antiques in the late 1960's and she opened an antique store here in Carpinteria in the 1970's. We used to travel, towing a U Haul trailer, back into the Mid West buying oak furniture and I honestly don't remember even seeing any gas & oil stuff during all those trips. Sometime in the late 1980's we were traveling the east coast and I had gotten, I think from my first meeting with Dick the bug to buy a gas globe. We had come through Kansas and I had found two mint, in the box, Texaco globes. I asked at a gas station in Penn. if he had or knew of any globes and he said you should have been here last week we had the Carslie Flea Marketbut Hershey opens tomorrow. We decided to go to Hershey and I ended up shipping a Fry Mae West 5 gallon home (cost me $100 to ship and I think $250 to buy0. I didn't do anything else until about 1992 when all Hell broke loose and I started BUYING and it hasn't stopped. I've met some of the most interesting, you all, people in the world and as you know sold my sign collection, all 250 pieces this past summer and since then have bought 25 more...Here we go again

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
blush blush blush

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm 23. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
yeah right!!,and my moms been 29 for 40 years!!LOL

Last edited by oldnfuelish; Fri Feb 18 2011 02:19 PM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was encouraged by another member to tell a little bit about myself in this thread. So here it is...

Just turned 35, only collect items of the Gilmore Oil Co. Why?… my last name is Gilmore. Not sure when I officially started collecting, just know I was young. That is, if you call having reproduction/novelty items collecting even. As long as I can remember, my dad always had (repro) Gilmore signs, photos, toys and globes and I always had street rod shirts with Gilmore logos on them. Friends and kids at school would always ask me what “Roar With Gilmore” meant. :-)

My father got me interested in racing, old cars, gas pumps and Gilmore. Since he was a kid, he had always been messing with and fixing/ restoring old cars. He was involved in racing (mechanic on pit crews) at local Chicagoland tracks in the ‘60s and eventually owned a performance speed shop. Believe it or not, my mothers aunt raced cars in the area in the '50s - '60s and was quite successful. She was known as Flyin' Flo Nelson and looked every bit the typical grandma with her white hair and way she dressed (the old school grandma look). Our garage was always a shop atmosphere with cars and car parts all over. My friends father was part owner of a family owned body shop and had a shop in his house garage. That was my “home away from home.” Many an old car, street rod and gas pump was restored there. Growing up, our vacations every summer were planned around driving the current old car somewhere and always had a stop at some car show/ swap meet. Dad knew about a prewar west coast gas company named Gilmore and knew of them racing and winning the Indy 500 but didn’t know much else until he'd seen an article on Gilmore Oil history that appeared in a late ‘70s - early ‘80s mag called OLD CAR ILLUSTRATED. I believe that’s about the time when he seen Gilmore stuff in gas pump restoration catalogs like Weber’s and likely when his “addiction” started.

For me, it wasn’t until 12 years ago, when I bought an ERTL Gilmore tanker truck on ebay, that I noticed, bid on and won a Lion Head can. That was my first “real” item. Noticed some old race car photos at that time, with Gilmore livery on them, bid on those and won them too. Since then I have acquired a few more photos, about 400! I collect everything Gilmore but old photographs and paper ephemera are my main direction in collecting. For the last few years I have been researching newspapers and trying to document the history of the Gilmore Co…. little by little. I may have a problem! crazy

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I am 58, My grand dad had a Ford Dealership in Eastern Colorado in the 30's. I found some pictures of him and the dealership with 37 Fords and a Texaco pump in front of his shop. In the 40's he had Conoco stations. I started collecting because of him. My wife knew I was interested in the stuff and bought a restored Wayne 60 done up in Conoco for my birthday 10 years ago! That really got it started. My handle is Ducecpe and I owned a Custom Blown 32 Ford 3 window coupe. I built a shop to build more street rods with my son, well you can guess what happened after that first gas pump! No more street rods just a shop full of PUMPS, SIGNS, GLOBES and every thing else that goes with this SICKNESS! Best of all is my wife loves it and my son aged 36 is an active collector here too.
Ric

Wanted: Conoco, Marland, Eason, Cliff Brice, Speedway and Oval E stuff!
B
B
I am 62 been collecting since 1985. Owned service station for 17 years

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Actually, me getting into this hobby was a love of a Gilbert And Barker T-176 . I was maybe 6 at the time . Dang thing fascinated me as gasoline was pumped into a Blue cylinder . I guess I started collecting the "Premiums" at about age 8. I started collecting roadmaps at around 12. I'm 62 now .
Heck , I aint stopping . Ed Shaver

Last edited by eshaver; Fri May 31 2013 07:36 PM.

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
78 years old--did 30 years with Shell-started in 1967.Bought my first Shell globe for $20.00 at a bulk plant in Patterson Ca.in 1972.Passed it on to a good friend for-----$20.00!!

Last edited by hawkike; Fri May 31 2013 07:45 PM. Reason: 72
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Im 53- Started garage sailing and flea marketing when I was just a kid with my parents. Found my first Mazda lamps display -which I still have, when I was around 10 or so. Got into collecting antique advertising pretty heavy when my wife got bitten by the bug about 15-18 years ago. We both like anything cool-Barber-Soda Gas-whatever. Signs-displays-anything goes. Crazy. Now she has a good nose for Coke (the drink) but likes petroliana too. I started with lots of country store stuff but gravitated towards mostly gas and oil now a days..

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
69 , Started buying , scavanging , collecting and selling when I was 14. Worked in auto garages 47 years , so anything automotive interests me.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 26 and I'm going on my 27th on July 7th, I started nearly 4 years ago by buying my first wallbox after I went to san francisco, now I'm into petroliana with a preference in brands like shell, BP, Texaco and caltex, I'm also into soda pop with early coke items, I also collect americana items ( car hood ornaments, microphones, bakelite radios, wallbox, bottles, pedal car, ... )

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I am 15 and started when I was 13. I couldn't have started in a better hobby!!! I collect anything gas and oil. And i like the old metal boxes with graphics on them too.

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I am 50. And dont slap me to hard, but I kind of owe my finding this hobby to "American Pickers" show. Of course I had seen gas pumps and things aroud but it was that show introducing me to the signs and things that really got me wanting to look into this. Then my wife and I were at a large antique show last spring and I bought a Sunoco PPP and a beat up oiler.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am 59. I have been visually documenting cars, gas and oil stuff for years but education, family and work delayed my ability to fully engage in the hobby. I am a fan of Canadian Pickers (don't slap me either) and went to their auction and bought a few items thinking I could turn them over and lo and behold I still own them! Two years into this and looking forward to more, I just need to get my wife as engaged as Steve's. It makes bring the signs into the house and garage easier!
Fred

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
59 on the 4th of July. "A man is only as old as the woman he feels"-Groucho Marx

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I'm currently 44, 45 in August. I started at the age of 18 when I bought a farm here in Ohio. There was a tall Bennett 646B Sinclair pump leaning over across the street next to a barn. One day I looked out and saw the farmer carrying it to a hole with his front end loader, I ran across the field and saved it from getting buried. About a month later, I stopped at an antique store because I saw a man there with a truck pulling a trailer filled with gas pumps, his name was Glenn Thompson (look him up in the front of Jack's book.) He and I became close friends and from then on, he concentrated on teaching me EVERYTHING. He taught me how to use county maps, how to look at the age of a silo and be able to tell what kind of pump was there. Which pumps to buy and what to stay away from. He would test me and have me name off every pump model in his collection and why that pump was so special. How to approach a farmer and be able to talk your way into a purchase. All of the other places that people skip over where pumps are likely sitting (like a feed mill.) Thank you Glenn, I couldn't have asked for a better teacher. You were and always will be one of the pioneers of this hobby.

Goober smile

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will be 38 this coming December , something that interested me was how others have said they have sold their cars ,hotrods etc.and are strictly collecting petrolina now, what's strange I am following that same path , kind of lost interest in my vehicles now as I am drawn to this hobby more and more.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 40 , Been collecting for about 5 years. I grew up addicted to the show Happy Days and thought I was "The Fonz" My Family has always owned Gas / Service stations in the area and my Dad always reminisced about the days at my great Uncle Benny's Gulf station. Much like everyone else I have gone from Harley's to Hot rods and back to remembering the sweet smell of petro sitting in the back seat of my grandmothers 70' Chevelle. It's history from there.

-MAXGAS-
Looking for Independent Gas & Oil, Oilzum,& Early FORD dealership items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm 46 and started collecting petroliana in 2006. Been into cars since I was 12 years old and my father bought me my first car.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Turned 60 last month and been collecting gas stuff for over thirty years now. Was into old Buicks and Karting when I was younger, just did not have enough garages for the cars. Could get more gas pumps and signs into containers. Had to get a ride to the Old Portland swap meet in the expo when you rented a space in the cow barn.

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
52.....It all started with the purchase of a 65 mustang convertible 8 years ago. However, My Grandfather owned a true General Store near Mammoth Cave, KY when I was a child. It was branded Shell and you could purchase everything from cigarettes to fan belts. There were soda signs and other advertising signs nailed all over the old building. If I get a chance, I will post a photo of it!

Clayton

T
TC Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I'm 63 years young, started about 30 years ago collecting globes and buying pumps and selling them. Never kept them- sorry for that. Used to buy visible cylinders for 30 to 80 dollars and traded them for globes. Used to be into cars and drag racing real heavy, dragging got to be to expensive. Scaled down on the cars and kept one for my retirment project 63 corvette split window. I have 2 pumps now-service station 20 gallon and a service station eco-meter clockface and a herd of globes.Ted

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 52.. Been into Petroleum Equipment for 30+ years, but on the service and installation end of things. I started collecting about 1 year ago, and now its become a disease.!
Funny thing is..I've had parts for collectible pumps for a long time and didn't know it , until I started in this hobby.
Now, when I'm looking for parts, I go looking in my shed first..then if that fails, I start the "hunt"..

Imperial Oil collector..
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
66 years young & been collecting things all my life.Kinda of grew up a junkyard dog.Had to check everyone that I passed for treasure's.(hard to do now day's).Well my first recollections started when I used to get out of the car on trips while my dad was gassing the car up.Oh that smell of gas in those days was intoxicating.Dad would chase me off but it always brought me back at every stop.Anyhow I have collected and restored 50s car's ,collected cast iron auto toy car's ,old tools, oil & petro cans, and now my first gas pump.Any brand would do as long as the graphics were strong.The best deals for me are the surprises that I find at garage and farm sales ,bargains are the name of the game for me.Except for that once in awhile Got to have it ! It is a disease for sure!!

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
42 here...been collecting Standard Oil for around 13 years,first thing that started me was a Standard Oil of Chicago lollipop base my father gave me when I was 20. We also made a replica sprint car out of Yes...Gas Pump Parts and other things of course. Car is in the March 1980 issue of Old Car Illustrated under the heading "Building a New Old Racer".The cover of the magazine has a Superbird on the cover if not mistaken,have a couple issues buried somewhere. I love to research local circle track history and local gas/oil history. I have done my share of time in a trench box burying underground pipe for bulkplants and have installed many hoists with my father for the Firestone locals also,not fun! My sock drawer is a Anco wiper cabinet smile

Last edited by greasyboy1970; Tue Jun 04 2013 06:37 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 51, and been collecting for the last 13 years, been into cars pretty much since before I could talk. Went to a car show and saw a pump,station lighter display and thought that it would be cool to have a pump, rest is history.
Ken.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 48, and have been collecting for about 21 years. Picked up my first sign (Sky Chief) at Mike Slama's swap. That started it all off, pumps came next.

JGD Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Just turned 30. Been into petro for about 3yrs now. Learned so much from oldgas and fellow members out at shows, etc. I just love the hobby. - Jon

Jon
M
M
I guess I might be too old to start another hobby. I am 66

M
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
M
I'm 36 been collecting gas/oil since 99/00 when ebay and the internet really got going. Just started searching ebay for any thing I could think of. Somehow I came across old gas station stuff and really liked it. I bought my first two pumps and globes from Ron Bettin in 01 and have been collection ever since.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just turned 56 on June 3rd. Been collecting most of my life after learning to love automobiles while hanging out at the neighborhood Pure Oil station back when I was driving only a Rupp minibike.
Survey made me feal a lot better about where this hobby is going. I know there were lean years collecting for myself when other things in life were more important so it's very nice that this should go on for generations to come.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
38. At the rate I'm going I'll be broke by 39...

Looking for Tulsa Oil Globes, any Tulsa-based cans, Troco anything, Bosch signs and clocks, original VW dealership stuff and original white capcos!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
66. I've been interested in cars since I was a teen and have a 66 Mustang I bought in 1974. Saw my first restored gas pump at Hershey and thought it was pretty neat. A neighbor gave me a Tokheim 39 he wanted to get out of his yard in 95. 200 plus pumps latter, along with more than 500 quart cans, some globes and some signs and I guess you can say I'm hooked.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
41. Grew up around street rods and muscle cars and was always at weekend car shows with my family. Got turned on to collecting Cities Service around 15yrs ago by an Uncle who collected Sinclair. Apparently I had some history in our family of another great uncle who ran a Cities Service station in Springfield IL in the 50's-60's and a grandfather who had a station. Managed to get a few mechanical pencils from his station, but that's about it. My Cities collection started with a few maps and has progressed into many globes and signs and more cans and smalls than I can even keep track of. Mainly only buying signs these days, but still cannot resist anything unusual or really old in Cities Service that I don't have. Trying to fill the walls in my garage of a '68 RS/SS Camaro convertible that was my first car purchased when i was 15 that i still own. Have not gotten the pump bug yet, mainly due to space, but I'm sure I would if I could.

Collecting most things related to Cities Service, Galena Oil, Hi-Speed Gas, Sunoco & Richfield.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I'll turn 50 in three weeks.
...my back says I'm older.

G
G
I'm 38, but not a huge collector yet. I have a dozen or so small pieces and just got a lubester today. Had a pump a dozen or so years ago but a guy I worked with wanted it so I haven't had one since. Not easy for me to track down in my area for some reason (that are priced appropriately)

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 42,bought my first can when I was allowed to tag along with my father to the flea markets at age 10.

Daryl
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Im 22 and got interested in this about a year ago.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
63 My interest in Visible Pumps started when my Dad gave me the White Eagle globe from the station that he owned in the 1930's

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Im 18... I started when I was 14.

Braden Splichal

N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
Getting old..25

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
45 here

i'm 38 years old, my brother and I always "junked" around together in alleys, yard sales, estate sales etc. etc. when we were kids (started around 10-12 years old?) i always looked for automotive stuff and always liked signs, and thats how i ended up collecting signs and automotive stuff, it seems that the stations back home were really old for the times, i guess the old stations and the memory lane have a lot to do with it too, the thrill of the hunt or turning up something cool in an old building or scrap yard is still a rush.

Last edited by ritnc; Mon Jun 24 2013 12:37 PM.
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
WOW I was 53 when I 1st posted and this topic was started by Jim.
I'm now 56. Time flies when your having fun.

Good to see the younger collecters, we maybe just keepers of this stuff after all.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ummm Loyd.....

Do ya' think math is the first to go when we get past that first half-century?
grin

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Scott Baselt
I'm 61 and in a way you could say I've been collecting petro since the day I was born. My parents were still trying to figure out what my middle name should be as they were driving to the hospital. In typical fashion my dad was low on gas and pulled into the first station he came to. It was a Phillips 66 and my middle name has been 66 ever since. wink LOL Not really it's Phillip. Good thing it wasn't a Humble station or something equally strange.

Two of our neighbors owned Sinclair stations and we would always stop at one or the other for gas. Being a typical kid I was always asking for free stuff so I had plenty of Dino items around. (I should have save them ) I did have coin, stamp, and baseball card collections going at one time or another.

I bought my first gas pump when I was in my late 40's. I had an auto repair shop and I thought it would be cool to have a pump on display. Within two years I had 31 of them plus an assortment of signs. This stuff is addictive !

I now live in a small apartment and my collection consists of 40 globes, 80+ signs, one reproduction pump, and various smalls. Basically I live in a man cave ! Life is good.

This is an old thread but a great one and this guy named 66 is got the coolest middle name lol

Follow the Red Indian Trail
G
G
I am 34. I have been collecting for a few years. I have always been into vintage cars and restoring items. Now I am in the process of recreating a vintage gas station at home. I have so much I want to buy. I am very thankful for this site for helping me out with what items are worth as well as quality pieces for sale.

Automotive Artwork
www.nategrice.com
G
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
G
Just turn 65. Always been into old cars and restoring them and selling parts in Hershey Pa. Sold my first gas pump around 1985 in Hershey Pa.That Started it all.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
55 now......getting older but have never grown up. Started collecting coins, stamps and fossils when I was about 8 years old. From there it progressed to cars, pre-war home radios, books, antique furniture and all sorts of advertising. Started with Gas & Oil in 1985. In the 90s I worked 3 jobs, 7days/100 hours a week to get the money to get the stuff. Lost 300 signs, 40 pumps, 4 cars and a ton of other kool junk in the Fire of 2000. It was a pretty big hit that derailed my enthusiasm for about 10 years.
Can't really say why but Petro Fever has returned and been rampaging the last couple years. The garage will never be the same as there simply is not enough time, money or opportunity to replace what once was however, I too am thankful for this site as I get to see so many great collections and have met some great people.....very inspiring. Had a couple open-houses when everything was intact but if I had one regret, it'd be that I did not share more often. While I enjoyed it all on my own, nothing stokes the fire more than the comeraderie of fellow enthusiasts or educating someone that shows an interest.

Last edited by OK Used Cars; Mon Oct 20 2014 09:55 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: OK Used Cars
55 now......getting older but have never grown up. Started collecting coins, stamps and fossils when I was about 8 years old. From there it progressed to cars, pre-war home radios, books, antique furniture and all sorts of advertising. Started with Gas & Oil in 1985. In the 90s I worked 3 jobs, 7days/100 hours a week to get the money to get the stuff. Lost 300 signs, 40 pumps, 4 cars and a ton of other kool junk in the Fire of 2000. It was a pretty big hit that derailed my enthusiasm for about 10 years.
Can't really say why but Petro Fever has returned and been rampaging the last couple years. The garage will never be the same as there simply is not enough time, money or opportunity to replace what once was however, I too am thankful for this site as I get to see so many great collections and have met some great people.....very inspiring. Had a couple open-houses when everything was intact but if I had one regret, it'd be that I did not share more often. While I enjoyed it all on my own, nothing stokes the fire more than the comeraderie of fellow enthusiasts or educating someone that shows an interest.

Well said and sorry for the loss of your collection

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Soon to be 53. I've only been at this since February of 2013. I've been lucky enough to amass a pretty good collection of stuff. I love when people ask to see my collection so I can see them get the feelings I get when I look at it. Ok Used Cars post is rite on. Share what you have talk with people about it. You never know when you could lose it all. I can't imagine it however the memories of the conversations and the look on a childs face when he sees my neons lit up will be with me forever.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
25 and been doing it for almost 3 years. Have read up on it for the past 10 though
Dan

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
M
M
Just turned 70. My grandad had a Phillips 66 station and bulk route in a small farm town in WY. As a little kid I'd ride out to the farms in that big tanker with him to deliver fuel. We always came home with a squacking chicken in a burlap bag or a bunch of fresh eggs, fresh veggies. Been collecting always and restoring for 35 years. And its always a delight to meet some 25 year old kid who's as excited about the stuff as I am. There are more of them than we realize.

S
S
I'm 44 years old. Never really thought that I would get into this hobby and to be honest I am a minor league player at best (two young boys at home make the extra cash to purchase slim at best). Story behind me getting into this hobby (or at least onto this site) goes kind of like this...Found a sign a long time ago (only wanted it because it was red Indian and I am Native). Ended up couch surfing for a few years and stored some stuff at a Buddies place. I began to see the picker shows and thought whatever happened to that sign. Long story short, 15 years later my Buddy finds it in his garage and gives it back to me for my 40th birthday. I know what you are all thinking. He didn't even buy me a present, just gave me something back. Cheap Bugger!!!!

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I turn 53 on Oct 9

Been collecting Gas stuff for 2 Years ,

Thanks Sid

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Old enough to know better. ; )

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Proud to be 15! I started collating about 8 years ago,when I found an old Esso grease can in my Dads barn. It snowballed from there, and I was picking up very can in sight. Late in 2012, I began buying 2 gallon cans, because they were cheaper than quarts with the same graphics, I thought they displayed very well, and I considered it a challenge. We all know where it went from there..

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Now 20 started at 15. Learned a lot and still learning. Number one rule for beginners is buy quality not quantity and there's always an up grade.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Since this thread keeps getting recycled do we have to repost our ages as I've aged 3 years since it started? LOL

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
64 in November,

Last edited by souperhigh; Tue Oct 21 2014 05:45 PM.
W
W
I'm 44 grew up with it my whole life my old man has been buying and selling for over 45 years had to go to shows to help setup and sell when I was a kid hated it lol but now it's really paid off from the years of what he has taught me about this hobby and general antiques always buy the best and leave the rest nice clean mint stuff and you can't go wrong if ya buy into it right and listen listen listen you can't ever stop learning I can never repay him the knowledge he's taught me !

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mike you might be aging but I'm still 23. Don't know who the old man in the mirror is.

OK,truth is I'm 55. We built a house for a guy that had owned a White Rose station that was later rebranded Conoco. He gave me my first globe in 1982. I still have it. It's a Conoco on green capco. Many years later I bought a Conoco Ethyl (on red capco)globe from the same guy's estate. I remember seeing those globes atop the pumps when I was 4 or 5 years old. So the first globe I ever saw was the first globe in my collection!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm 52, but started collecting as a toddler, with empty oil cans and free road maps. Over 50 years now, and bought my first globe thirty nine years ago last week.

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Started 'bring things home' in the late 60's-70's if they could fit it my route bag (remember paper routes) on my bike....dumpsters, trash days, etc. Hey can I have that?...sure kid go ahead. Most of the time I didnt care what it was as long as it looked cool. Parents hated it. Started bulding bikes from parts (schwinn sting rays) when I could find them on trash/bulk pick up days, then it was go carts and mini bikes then finally cars. Always had something in the garage until entering the service when lots of stuff mysteriously disappeared. Well, still have a garage, with cars and old stuff in it....what do they say about old habits?

Last edited by Leverhead; Thu Oct 23 2014 07:15 AM.
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved