Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Muratic acid should take most of those rust stains right off. The orange looks weak already so don't leave the acid on for more than a few seconds. I use an old paint brush to apply the acid and scrub lightly, and keep the garden hose in the other hand so I can rinse the acid off quickly. Wear rubber globes, and safety glasses! Don't breathe the fumes either.
Oh yeah, don't acid wash a sign on your lawn. You'll end up with dead grass around the sign. Ask me how I know.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
A
A
Remember that sno bowl Toilet bowl cleaner around your house is a weak solution of acid. Most marinas use this to clean the algae etc. off the bottom of the boats. Will clean the rust with much less risk than full stength muratic.

aquatic #223143 Mon Jan 03 2011 06:11 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I'm saying clear it.Scrub it real good with the BKF to remove rust, then if you have a friend at a body shop, have him spray a coat of clear on it. Our painters are always mixing to much clear and the leftovers normally will always do a sign. Besides, if you don't like the clear, it is easily removed. I have done one myself and I am very happy. As for sanding it, I see no need for it. IMHO.

TBA Feature Host
OP Offline
TBA Feature Host
I have decided to CLEAR the sign. A friend of mine is a body man by profession and he said he will do it for me. I will post results when done. I appreciate everyone's input on this project.

Thanks!

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WILL YOU BE REPAIRING THE CHIPS BEFOREHAND? OR WILL YOU JUST LET IT GO AS A BARN HANGER?

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
M
M
We have put clear on a few of the signs in our collection, and it always wants to come off in about 10 years.

TBA Feature Host
OP Offline
TBA Feature Host

Here are some pictures of the sign after clear. They are not the best pictures and the white dots are just dust on the surface not in the clean. This sign looks 100% better. A high quality Spies Clear was used so I hope it holds up. Enjoy!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WOW! IT DEF DEFINES THE COLORS AND BRINGS IT BACK TO LIFE! GREAT JOB ON AN OTHERWISE BARN-HANGER!

I CLEAR-COATED A VERT FIRESTONE SIGN ABOUT 6 YEARS AGO AND IT'S STARTING TO SHOW WEAR. CRACKS, FADING AND PEELING. I ALSO PAINTED THE LETTERS ORANGE AGAIN ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO. IT'S IN A PICTURE I POSTED IN THIS THREAD....

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=132984&page=10

TBA Feature Host
OP Offline
TBA Feature Host
Yea I used an expensive clean so Hopefully it holds up Spies Hecker- Thanks for the compliment!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IS THAT BRAND A SPAR/MARINE VARNISH/CLEAR-COAT? NEVER HEARD OF THAT BRAND. WHERE DID YOU PURCHASE IT?

TBA Feature Host
OP Offline
TBA Feature Host
It's automotive clear coat- German Company- Got it through a body man who is a friend. I think they have a website- Not your run of the mill sherwin williams/dupont.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SPRAYED OR BRUSHED ON TYPE?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
POUR IT ON. I did that on an old boat deck I had & it leveled itself out before setting up. Filled all the gaps in.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Mon Jan 10 2011 08:30 PM.
TBA Feature Host
OP Offline
TBA Feature Host
Sprayed with an automotive paint gun HVLP new style not the old suction guns. On a sunny day I will try to get some better pictures. These pictures do not do justice. The sign came out great.

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Mon Jan 10 2011 08:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved