This all started about 2 years ago when I had a ton of ECO parts that needed sandblasting. SO I purchased a new cabinet sandblaster, and a small portable pressure sandblaster. I couldn't get them to work, so I came on this site and was told first I was probably using the wrong media, and most important, my compressor wasn't big enough.
What do you mean, not big enough? It is almost 6' tall, really nice looking Craftsman compressor. Then I was told, it is not the tank, it is what is on top of it.
So I have been in the market for another compressor. Lately I have been going to auctions at auto dealerships that have been going out of business. Great place to pick up all kinds of stuff cheap, like a back up computer and monitor with very little use for $35.00.
Well I decided to buy this air compressor. I was told it was running when they disconnected it, but who knows, that is one of the things I will find out soon. It is 3 phase, what ever that means, and I have been told I need to change it to 2-phase.
It is still on the trailer, we still haven't figured out how to get it into the garage yet, that is another small problem.
It looked like hell, so I started in on it last week, one handed because I broke my wrist about a month ago.
First picture shows how it looked when it first arrived.
The first thing I did was pressure wash it. It seems that during its time at the dealership they put a coat of gray paint on it. In this picture you can see the CURTIS decal coming up.
The decal showed some color after the pressure wash, but it was too far gone to survive.
You can see from the ID plate it is dated 1947.
The compressor part is a Dressor (the company that ownes the Wayne Pump Co. today) and the motor is a Dayton. I don't think either one of the is original. I believe Curtis made their own compressors.
Finally a copy of a 1949 ad. This may have been what it looked like originally.
The paint is almost all sanded off now, will post more pictures when it is finished.