Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
After the merger of East & West Coast companies to form the FLYING A Co., signage would have been made on both coast by different porcelain sign companies. Even signage made by the same company 3 years apart will have some minor differences in color.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That ebay auction that went for 184.99 and 21 bids is the exact same pump plate style I purchased this weekend at Turlock. I'm glad I only paid a quarter of that price.

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is a good reason to have catalogs, to check if they ever repoped these things. I keep all the old catalogs. I just stay away from any thing that has been reproduced. That way there no question, in my mind. But you just don't know any more on some of this stuff.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
If you stay away from anything that has been reproduced you would have a very small collection. I keep all catalogs new and old talk to tons of people but you just can't carry all that information to a swap meet. If you get burned lightly who cares. Live and learn. I have seen the best get stung and the heavy hitters get burned hard at times. My wife said it all. " It should be a law to mark all reproduced items" Now wouldn't that be nice. My 2 cents. Ted

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I had 3 books and 2 very knowledgeable collectors with me. We even measured the sign with a tape measure. But for $50 it was worth the chance and it is a nice sign. Can't wait to see if these repos my dad tracked down match what I bought. We will definitely post pictures and move it to the known marked repos if it all adds up. That is why it is great to have this site so we can help each other out and avoid mistakes. But as we all know, it is very hard in the heat of the moment of a swap meet, to make that decision when that guy behind you might just snatch that sign and get that great deal because you took too long to make the decision.

Last edited by pollyman; Thu Feb 04 2010 09:59 AM.

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm thinking both signs pictured are original.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree. The reproductions I have seen had only three grommets.

Member #163
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
PM sent

Last edited by gaspumpman; Fri Feb 05 2010 08:21 AM.
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I do not have Mr Flying A's email but if some one would send it to Jason I'm sure Craig would be glad to help. I would also say Tim is pretty sharp on this stuff and I think he is right about 3 gromets.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Here are the real facts on the 9 3/4" Tydol pump plates...

1) Both the Tydol Flying A (green) and the Tydol Ethyl (red) pump signs have been reproduced in the exact 9 3/4" diameter as the originals. These repop signs have been sold regularly on eBay for a year or two, usually for $20-$25.

2) The repops have white backs and the mounting holes are further from the edge, directly over the black trim line.

3) Genuine Tydol pump plates have mounting holes closer to the edge, barely touching the black trim line. The backs are generally light green but NEVER white.

4) Tydol pump signs with three mounting holes are genuine but much scarcer than the four hole signs.

Hope this info helps other collectors from getting burned in the future.

Paul

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
What the heck Pablo I thought you had moved to Argentina. LOL What the heck do you know you are too young. LOL Seems you might be on to something. But if you guys on here think they are both originals still I think you might be paying too much for a reproduction.I will sell you my reproduction copy for $100 shipping included. LOL Both Pablo and I collect a lot of pump plates and we learn as we go on. Good to see you post on here again Paul your knowledge and input is always welcome to me and others. Ted

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Pablo.

~Jason

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WENT OVER TO BUDDY'S HOUSE THIS MORNING TO PHOTOGRAPH A SIMILAR TYDOL SIGN THAT IS ON A PUMP OF MINE IN HIS SIDE YARD GARDEN.

HERE IS WHAT THE 3+ YEAR OLD REPRO LOOKS LIKE. HOLES (4) ON THE BLACK LINES AND A WHITE BACK. EVEN THE RED IS FADING AFTER BEING OUTSIDE SINCE THE DAY I PURCHASED IT...

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'M NOTICING THAT MY REPRO SIGN IS LOOKING ALOT LIKE THE ONE IN JASON'S POST ON PAGE 1, WITH THE SIMILAR SPACING BETWEEN THE D, O AND L. THE DETAILS I MENTIONED AROUND THE "A" ARE QUITE SIMILAR AS WELL.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...Doc, your sign and the other repro are from the same batch, no doubt...

...on the repro, the grommet holes are centered on the thin black circle...on the original they fall outside the black circle...

....but all you have to do is study the differences in the word 'FLYING' between the fake and real plates...if you can notice the differences between artwork hand-generated in the 1940's and some hack trying to recreate the artwork and using 'something close' for the typeface, you'll notice it on other repro signs...it's really not hard if you pay attention to the details...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved