Print Thread
#14289 Fri Jun 06 2008 09:23 AM
H
Hud Oil Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
H
here is a new policy that will start in July and that will make it more difficult for some of us that sell item with reserve, that may not sell or shipping cost can be very different from one zone to another.

Thanks for talking with me. I am following up on our discussion in regards to upcoming changes to shipping. As we discussed, starting in July, all sellers who list their items on eBay.com in the U.S., will be required to specify domestic shipping services and costs in their listing. When sellers specify the shipping services and costs in the Shipping Details section of their listing, this information shows up for buyers in key places during the purchasing process, like the shipping cost column in the search results page, the top of the View Item page, and the shipping details section at the bottom of the View Item page. Knowing this information upfront helps buyers in making informed decisions and they are less likely to be disappointed with the transaction.

Starting in July, the requirement will go into effect and sellers will simply not be allowed to list items that do not specify shipping. Sellers are encouraged to begin specifying shipping in their listings now, as listings without specified shipping may receive less exposure in search. Specified shipping costs will become a requirement for most listings on eBay, including listings from 3rd party listing tools. Note, exemptions will apply to certain categories like Vehicles, or services such as Freight. Sellers can specify freight without entering any cost, but they will need to specify freight as a shipping service type.

If you are not yet using specified shipping, we encourage you to adopt this best practice right away. Listings with shipping specified in this way are more likely to sell and attract higher DSRs.

Sellers who sell internationally should also specify their international shipping costs to ensure their visibility to international buyers is not reduced.

For sellers looking to improve their overall shipping practices, here are some tips:

1. Specify your shipping cost using "Flat Rate" or "Calculated" shipping in the shipping details. With eBay's Shipping Calculator, eBay will automatically calculate the shipping costs for your buyer based on your ZIP Code, the buyer's ZIP Code, package details, and shipping service.

2. Be specific about the shipping services you offer. Give buyers options with shipping services. You can select the shipping services that you want to offer when you list your item. You may want to select one inexpensive service and one fast service.

3. Specify your handling time. Specify the amount of time it will take you to ship the item after you receive payment from the buyer. Providing buyers this information lets them know how long it will take to receive the item.

4. Provide details about any packaging or handling costs. If you decide to add a handling cost, let the buyer know what the costs include. In the item description, clearly state how your item will be packaged and what the related costs are.

5. Offer shipping discounts. Offer buyers savings on shipping when they purchase multiple items from you. This may encourage them to buy additional items from you.

For more tips on shipping, visit http://pages.ebay.com/sellercentral/shipping.html#best

I hope you found this information helpful. Thanks again for your time. Have a good day!

Regards,

PATRICIA
eBay Seller Development
Wendell

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#14290 Fri Jun 06 2008 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just another example of ebay shooting itself in the foot. I also emailed ebay and the "helpful" person said I should just use flat rate priority boxes for consistent shipping costs. When I explained to her that the 60 pound, 92 inch long Goodyear porcelain sign wouldn't fit.....she had no solution.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
#14291 Fri Jun 06 2008 02:08 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
What a load of double talk! Seems like eBay wants to protect buyers more than help sellers which makes no sense to me. I just gave eBay a piece of what's left of my mind.

[This message has been edited by tallgye49 (edited 06-06-2008).]

#14292 Fri Jun 06 2008 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
man!i just became a seller a while ago,and now i figure i'll just skip ebay.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
#14293 Fri Jun 06 2008 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
as a buyer I think this is a good idea, at least I will know up front if I'm going to get screwed on shipping. I do sell too though and while this sounds like another hassle it's still worth the effort to reach the buyers. I believe you can specify UPS as an option on larger items and Ebay calculates that too.

#14294 Sat Jun 07 2008 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I almost always post a shipping price on my auctions. It is the same price if it ships to the coast or in the next town. At least bidders can bid accordingly and know up front what it is going to be. I know I like that when I am a bidder as I usually wont bid on an item with no shipping costs listed. Large or heavy items could be an issue though!!

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
#14295 Sat Jun 07 2008 12:05 PM
R
R
I buy and sell on ebay all the time (well, the wife does it for me) and shipping prices were always part of the add. As a seller, I really don't see it as a problem especially with the shipping calculator.

#14296 Sat Jun 07 2008 03:14 PM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Why are there always people who do nothing but complain about change...in general. What is possibly wrong with this policy. I've been selling on ebay for the past 12 years and have always specified shipping. They are not asking you to put an amount only specify the size and weight. The buyer can then figure out what they want to do. I find that FedEx ground is by far the best process.

#14297 Sat Jun 07 2008 07:20 PM
As a buyer on eBay, I'm fairly careful. Some negatives against the seller by solid citizens and sarcastic replies to feedback by the seller tend to make me pass the auction up.

I've been burned only by excessive shipping when shipping wasn't specified. So now I ask before bidding. When I get no response or an unspecific response, I either bid low or not at all on that auction.

I know it is a hassle for sellers, but weighing the item and using the shipping calculators would help make buyers more confident and could encourage more and higher bids. Sellers then come out ahead.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#14298 Sat Jun 07 2008 10:37 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I was informed from Fedex recently that they never insure an antique for above $100 and this was news to me as they were charging me insurance for over a year on items up to $1500 that I shipped yet never would have insured it for more than $100 so they are in process of refunding all those fees I paid for nothing. This is news to me

#14299 Mon Jun 09 2008 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i have founf the shipping calcualtors on ebay to be "less than accurate" at times. To compound the problem is oversized packages. I don't have a problem withputting shipping prices in my auctions. (I usually do, but it is often an educated guess. I think you will see sellers figuring out the longest distance and using that as a cost, regardless of distance to actual seller.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
#14300 Mon Jun 09 2008 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have always listed a shipping cost for the 10 Plus years I have been on ebay- As a buyer I also want to know my shipping cost- if it is a real heavy Pkg I list the cost to LA from NJ- and state the cost to be at most- and will retreat from there- this way a buyer knows the Max- Overseas buyers will most of the time email you for shipping-{ and I get a lot of these since i started taking pay pal over a year ago- }}- thanks don

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
#14301 Mon Jun 09 2008 07:32 AM
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
I live out in the country and the estimated shipping is always less than the actual. Once on a item that weight 25 lbs it was double the estimate. I feel sorry for the shippers in these cases I have helped the shipper out. Richard

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved