Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#123148 Mon Nov 03 2003 06:26 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
The Red crown pump plate sign is one that really new people get burned on. These are sold by the repo vendors as repo's but are dated with the old dates. I will try to get a picture of the one I have on a pump. Most people put these on a pump and after a few years they start to look old and it's hard to tell the difference especially with they remove the grommets. Pure oil I think did the same thing. These signs were made with these dates so that makes it even harder. Maybe one of the repo vendors like Vic's can help with this one.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#123149 Tue Nov 04 2003 11:33 AM
The Red Crown is a very hard one to tell. The grommets on the original might be starred on back I don't know. My originals are missing the grommets as many were. The reproductions sign grommets may be a solid type. These are the pictures we need to post. The one thing I can tell you is the reproduction list numbers at the bottom. lower left AD-1954 lower right IR-1-48. However the originals did use these same dates. Thus the confusion. Someone needs to post a picture of original grommets and reproduction grommets. Ted D:

#123150 Thu Nov 06 2003 08:42 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Here is an original with the grommet. The backside is a grayish color. Located on the front left corner is AD3-904, right corner is dated IR 8-51, as opposed to the repos that are all dated the same (I believe). The grommets are solid. Please let me know if this is not an original.

[This message has been edited by Gary Drye (edited 11-06-2003).]

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved