Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The 3% should be a non issue to the seller, just name your price and say buyer pays all PayPal fees.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm surprised at the amount of people that defend the fee. If I was in the selling business maybe I'd see it differently. I sell at fair prices and don't see the need to jack my price up to line someone elses pockets. I have owned my business for 16 years and have seen my credit card sales jump from 25% to over 50% in that time, fees have gone up accordingly, I eat that rather than raise prices, cost of goods is hard enough to keep up with. like I said if I narrow my buyers pool but my fairly priced item still sells then I guess I'm doing just fine without PP. I also don't like paying extra for something unless I have to. PP probably loves reading how people are "used" to paying extra, sets it up perfectly for them to raise the percentage.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I don't agree with sellers who want PayPal as sole means of payment, but make the buyer pay for it. If they offer other payment options and buyer wants to use paypal and is willing to pay the fees that is ok by me. What MANY, including all those who ask for gift payments or whine about PayPal taking a cut, forget is that PayPal is providing a service to both buyer and seller. They should get paid for that! Would any of you that feel otherwise like to go to work for free? 2.75% for a smooth fast payment transaction is worth it to me as a seller when the buyer wants to use it. When possible, I prefer to have them use a credit/debit card through my card processor as the rates are about 1% less.....

Bottom line, don't like it, don't use it. Do I wish the fees were a little less, or maybe a sliding scale for larger transactions, sure. However, I really value the use of the service and fully expect to pay for it. As they say, it's one of the "costs of doing business".

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15
Would anyone really pass on buying an item they want or need because a seller doesn't accept paypal?
I know I wouldn't.

I absolutely will not buy from an unknown eBay seller that does not accept PayPal. My first thought is that the seller is trying to circumvent the protections that PayPal offers. Second, it crosses my mind that if the seller does not have PayPal, he may have financial issues. Third, a PayPal account is more difficult to get for overseas individuals. Therefore, the lack of a PayPal account may indicate a bogus eBay account.

Why would I send a check to someone given the concerns that I just raised? PayPal protects me, and if the seller has raised his price by 3% to cover the fee, that is fine to me. I'd much rather pay 3% extra than have to try and hire a lawyer or call the police for a shady seller that took my check and ran.

Now, I will send checks to OG members because this is a closed community. I would also send a check to an eBay seller if I absolutely know he is legitimate.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
My thoughts on many cases where people refuse to take ppal or check is that they have some deep control issues...and many times because they themselves would harm others. Fees are a cost of doing business...at worst case discuss the options of them with buyer.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
they charge about 3 bucks on a 100 dollar sign...
I pay more for peanuts to watch the monkeys screw at the zoo!
Its all about time and Instant payment!
Not...Mail a check(wait 3-4 days), they wait til check clears(7-10 days) then ship item, you recieve WEEKS later!
With paypal you Win an item, pay immediately, recieve 3 days later smile
As a seller I adjust my price accordingly so I dont eat the fees...simple...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: JeffS
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15
Would anyone really pass on buying an item they want or need because a seller doesn't accept paypal?
I know I wouldn't.

I absolutely will not buy from an unknown eBay seller that does not accept PayPal. My first thought is that the seller is trying to circumvent the protections that PayPal offers. Second, it crosses my mind that if the seller does not have PayPal, he may have financial issues. Third, a PayPal account is more difficult to get for overseas individuals. Therefore, the lack of a PayPal account may indicate a bogus eBay account.

Why would I send a check to someone given the concerns that I just raised? PayPal protects me, and if the seller has raised his price by 3% to cover the fee, that is fine to me. I'd much rather pay 3% extra than have to try and hire a lawyer or call the police for a shady seller that took my check and ran.

Now, I will send checks to OG members because this is a closed community. I would also send a check to an eBay seller if I absolutely know he is legitimate.

I guess you didn't buy on ebay before paypal existed.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
R
OP Offline
R
wow! a lot of valid points.. I don't care about the paypal fee, to me there is a lot to having the transaction done securely.. my thought was perhaps paypal had a way for a buyer to "weasel" out of the money they sent you somehow...or if paypal has seller protection, I know they have buyer protection..but where are the fine lines? im just being overly cautious I guess. I have a pretty nice piece that I want to sell, I don't want to ship it to someone and thet turn around and say this or that and get me for the item..i guess im old school where when you make a deal, and shake a guys hand..thats one thing..people usually cant stab you in the back if your looking them in the face so to speak..

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
PP has it's place, I accept it on Ebay and I pay for the stuff I buy on Ebay with it. I've had to file two cases and won both as a buyer, never had a case against me as a seller. I just don't see any reason to use it on Oldgas, never have. PP is a relatively new creation, I was on Ebay for years without and never had a problem, it's great to help combat thieves on Ebay, luckily I haven't met any on here. It's become more and more heavily slanted towards buyers. If you want to feed them money by all means do so, just remember you have a choice.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I love paypal as a buyer as it makes an easy transaction. Many other stores are starting to use paypal more as a payment method along with credit cards. I will pay will paypal at any of those stores if I can so I do not have to give out my credit card number.

As a seller I don't mind it as again it makes a fast transaction as I get paid fast and don't have to wait a week to get a check and wait even longer for it to clear. Get paid and ship right away and I am done with it. Also if you sell on Ebay many times the item will sell for more than you can get in other markets and it is more than worth the fee. I also figure the fess into my prices.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
PayPal is great as a buyer. Nobody can dispute that.

The 3% for the seller isn't that big of a deal as all business' that accept credit cards pay that.

The buyer protection is the point everybody is missing as to why PayPal is terrible for sellers.

If you sell your antique widget and send the buyer the same widget in your ad, the buyer can easily replace it with their own lesser grade (or even broken) widget and cry foul. They will send you back the ***** widget and not only will you be out your original widget, but you'll be stuck with the shipping both ways.

PayPal will side with the buyer every time and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. Take all the pictures you want, but you have no way of proving that the widget you took the pictures of is the same one you sent.

There are 2 types of eBay sellers out there: those that this HAS happened to, and those that this WILL happen to.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Agree with bp, it's the buyer protections that are getting out of control. It just like ebay, slowly drifting more and more towards the buyer disregarding the seller. Predictable pattern really, PayPal was more balanced at first so that sellers would accept PayPal, then paypal became universal, so now they can afford to push too far in the buyer behalf - allowing 6 months to file a complaint for example. Hate wondering if someone's going to wait five months after I sell them something, file a frivolous complaint, and then I have the funds locked up by PayPal.

I'm curious about ApplePay and how that will unfold. Would be good to have two viable services fighting for sellers, might make things more balanced again. The sad thing is that the additional protections don't really help honest buyers anyway.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Sun Feb 08 2015 12:07 AM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
L
L
I agree with Paul... Buyer Protection is a mess. I used to sell on eBay and got excellent positive feedback. But... the Buyers who complain about shipping fees(yet also left positive feedback - go figure) and leave the low-star ratings for shipping costs ended up getting me booted off of eBay as a Seller. What irritated me the most was the fact that the eBay shipping fee is right below the bid amount on eBay. If someone doesn't like the fee, then don't bid on my item - win it - leave positive feedback - and then shaft me with low-star ratings on my shipping fees... which got me kicked off as a Seller. Not once did I ever profit on any of my shipping fees. I always used brand new boxes and packing materials, and my postal fee that I paid was always a few dollars more than I collected. Okay... I gotta go breathe a little now... but thanks for listening to me guys!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
they charge about 3 bucks on a 100 dollar sign...
I pay more for peanuts to watch the monkeys screw at the zoo!

Now , That's funny!

Last edited by LOWright; Sun Feb 08 2015 06:49 AM.

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I accept all 4 major credit cards by Google Square. I've had it for about 8 weeks and so far, I love it!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved