Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#592993 Mon Jan 19 2015 09:43 AM
nebrgas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Was not able to attend this year and would like to hear Oldgasser comments regarding new location, accomodations, set-up, etc.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will give you my 2 cents. I didn't set up but was there fri and sat.
I think if weather was bad... it would be terrible. Lots of hills and steps. I know with a bad hip all the steps sucked.
I thought the promoters tried very hard to keep the side doors closed to keep people that have not paid from coming in but they were a little rude about it. I watched 3 people get stopped and they had there stamps where they paid but still got chewed out. I think the outside needs some vending to a degree. I was outside getting a sign and cop drove and stopped and guy on golf cart was patrolling heavy. I heard several people that were loading pumps got told no outside vending where they were just moving from 1 truck to another.
Not sure how the geographical area is for petro guys?
Would it had been better if it was back near an interstate?

I think the venue was nice... it was nice to have the motel right next to it. Lake was nice to look at when it was 65 deg. friday. LOL
I don't want to complain about the show or the promoters. It was nice... they did a great job. Someone wanted comments and i will share mine.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with everything John just said. A little sleet or ice and it will be a mess with the space and sloping terrain . Also for me I missed seeing the vendors doing the drive in thing and the giant feeding frenzy that always followed like the Colombia building offered . It's a shame we lost that location.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice hotel, good senic location. Cold beer at the resort bar, good appetizers. Found some good BBQ about 10 miles away. Nice hotel room. Nice warm carpeted vending area.

Breakfast buffet was like $12 or $13.99. They did have coffee set out on Friday AM and sandwiches and stuff for sale in the vending hall entrance Friday around noon. $2 for a can of Pepsi. There was not any food that I saw for sale Saturday morning in the hall. It was nice weather wise, rain, snow or ice would have been an issue hauling stuff in up the steps. Plus we would have tracked in water and salt, slush onto the carpet. Parking lot was not flat to unload pumps and stuff.

Over all I enjoyed the show and would go again if held in the same location. Some parts were better than Columbia, some not as good.

Thanks to the show promoters for trying to put on a good show.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think the location was great if you were there to vacation, but it just didn't work for all the concerns that need to be address'd for a gas & Oils collectible show. They got by for one reason and that was the weather. If it had been cold and snowing, it would have been a wreck from the beginning.
The parking areas and unloading areas were too small to accommodate the amount of traffic involved and the vendors with larger stuff that needed to be displayed outside for sale, were just plain out of luck. Several of them were threatened with towing away if they didn't move and they had to park those rigs several hundred yards away on a hilly incline that was a couple hundred feet higher than the vending hall.
There were no concessions in the building, and you had to walk about a hundred yards down some steep steps to get to the lodge, and then another good distance to find food!
If you had put 20 degree weather, some ice, and a little snow into that mixture----several would have left on the spot. As it is, with the added distance to get there, I won't bother to come back if its in the same place. The problems with the facilities made it difficult for me and I just didn't enjoy the event as a whole.
I would highly recommend the location for a weekend getaway, or relaxing vacation, as the scenery is beautiful, rooms are tremendous, and the food was good. Its a great vacation spot, just not a very pleasant swap meet location!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
LSx Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sorry for the ignorance, but im new to shows. What happened to Columbia anyhow? As in why cant this be held there anymore?

If this was in warmer weather (very rare this year) I probably attempted to make this by killing two birds with one stone and played some golf

Last edited by LSx; Mon Jan 19 2015 01:18 PM.

-Brian
LSx #593032 Mon Jan 19 2015 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Brian, they are closing the fairgrounds in Columbia, not sure of the details. The place there was no longer available. I would think that they would be building a new fairground facility somewhere else in Boone county to replace it as that fairgrounds has been there for as long as I can remember with the fair every year. If they are just relocating maybe he can get the new venue next year. Somebody needs to ask him. The place to have it would be the Ozark Empire Fairgrounds and Eplex in Springfield. Might be a little harder to promote from Columbia, but it's only about an hour and a half farther south than this year. . It's a big place built for that sort of thing......GB

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well here is my opinion not that it matters lol. I liked the location for the ease of having a hotel and the show at the same place. I think our host vendor was trying to do the right thing and I think it was accomplished for the most part. I did witness what jarvis was talking about and you would think that it being the dead of winter the hotel would not care about vendors having some stuff outside since it wouldn't fit inside. I didn't see anyone trying to get in free or do underhanded things going on. As far as the hotel it needs some work. My wife and child came with me so I had to fit in family time while I was there. I took my kid to the indoor pool and I have to say you could get murdered out there and no one would no. There where maybe 5 lights working in the pool area and theae where light bulbs not floreacinats. My room and this is a story most wouldn't belive but it happened. Our room temp was 78 degrees and we could not shut the furnace off. Nothing worked so I finally called the front desk after our first day. They sent a repair man up he looked at it and started laughing. He said this is a dummy unit your thermostat doesn't work because the room next to you controls it. Needless to say we where moved to another room where we controlled it.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #593051 Mon Jan 19 2015 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm with Kevin on all he said. Had to move my truck and trailer twice to make em happy. Show promoter was very rude to people in the parking lot and on the intercom. Good chance that if it's at same location next year I won't go.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This was my first trip to It's A Gas so I can't compare it to the old venue.

I agree with Kevin. If it had snowed it would have been a wreck. Everything from unloading on would have been a problem.

The building is too small. If was sold out. Zero room for expansion.

The accessibility is terrible. Can you imagine carrying globes or signs down all those steps if there had been snow or ice? At the very least they need to have parking near the building for those that have trouble climbing the steps, and a loading zone near the building for those that made purchases.

They need parking near the building for vendors with pumps or large signs. I suspect they will lose vendors over this very issue.

Vendors and buyers are both customers of the promoters. There is no excuse for the "attitude" towards the customers for using the side doors and the parking issues.

After reading the reviews about the host hotel we elected to stay at another hotel about 5 miles away. The place we stayed was very nice and cost less.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i thought the show was great i flew in from boston to kansas city and drive 3 hours to the show bought some great items meet a lot of people on old gas.

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
I liked it there. Having everything right there on the resorts grounds and not having to leave was great.
Set up was a little hectic but I think that was more or less because it was the first year there. Not any worse than peotone can be. Every year things would get better with a system. As for parking and the security getting after everyone I watched a number of people try and make their own parking spots, one person even tried parking in the grass.
As for bad weather, it may cause some issues but with the amount of money around that area I would guess roads wouldn't be too big of a problem. Maybe it's just me and I'm used to driving with a foot of snow on the roads but that doesn't concern me. Tracking snow and salt into the place, you have that with snow, nothing you can do about it.
The stairs, kind of obnoxious and I can see if you have a bad hip like Jarvis that it sucked. However, they were not very steep and they were covered so to get inside from the hotel you hardly would be facing the elements.
Inside was nice. I liked the carpeted floors. For being a smaller place it worked pretty good. Some spots were a little tight but not bad.
For being the first year here I was impressed with the turn out on Saturday. Over all I liked the place.

Interested in marine and outboard round quarts, especially Quicksilver/Kiekhaefer and Johnson/Evinrude/OMC cans
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
my 2 cents... i will try to be honest & not sugarcoat it

the good:
-we & several others were placed in a separate (newer) building from the main hotel, rooms were excellent
-the views were great, everything that I love about Missouri
-the surrounding area is completely built around tourism, so plenty to do
-the timeline of the show is great... a simple setup day & a short 2nd day... any longer is not necessary.
-a clear, precise, & enforced start time

the bad:
-small vendor spots, 9x11, a fart would cover at least 4 spots
-everything about the parking was horrible. the resort had many areas with small passage ways and tight turns... which made hauling a large/heavy enclosed trailer with 6 or more pumps somewhat nerve racking at times
-no food or refreshments. the soda & snacks ran out on friday, & i didnt see anything on saturday. my wife is a caffeine addict, so not being able to get her a soda resulted in a headache for her, and me.
-anyone with any sort of trailer was required to park a good 300-yards away up a steep incline
-very little room to unload for vendors.

let me elaborate: very horrible design for unloading, period.

the unloading area could fit about 4 trucks & trailers at one time. as a vendor, I always take my time and let all the people in a rush go first. I ended up pulling around and loading all my items from the backside... hauling all my signs and other ***** up about 10 stairs. (makes it really fun with a cart or dolly!)... and then I get yelled at for using a side door. so then i try to go in main door with my cart and I get yelled at for propping it open. cmon! you gotta be kidding me, right?

so then I pull my trailer down the hill to unload a couple pumps to give to Tom, and I get threatened by a security guard that I will be ticketed because there is no parking in the lot for trailers, and there is no selling allowed outside. (i wasn't selling)

I know I am not alone with the frustrations I experienced... at one point I felt bad for the people running the show because I saw so many yelling at them.

Would I go again? Yes, because I'll go to any show if I have the time. But I would be concerned with the amount of vendors that will return. And if I did go, I would not bring my trailer, so that means no pumps, no hauling stuff for people, and only setting up with a few cans & small signs. and also would mean I couldnt buy anything large.

I truly believe the future of the show will suffer if forced to use this venue again.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved