Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#569402 Fri Sep 19 2014 12:11 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Guys,
Having a issue and I could use some advice from those who have already navigated these waters. I recently won a globe from a auction house back east, prior to auction I called and spoke to owner about globe/shipping etc. His responce was "oh, shipped lot's of these double boxed insured etc.etc. never been more that $80" which is what I have experienced in the past and expected. I took that amount into account when bidding obviously, well I ended up winning it at a good price considering internet premium and all. Today I get a PayPal invoice from a specialty packing and shipping company for $195 !!! over double what I was told/expecting apparantly he didn't want to package it himself ?. I called shipper and responce was pretty much what expected..."we never quoted you that price" So I put call into auction house to see what can be done, still waiting on call back. Am I screwed ? this is a globe I really want and even at $130 in extra charges I'm still into it at a good price so I'll have to consider that if he tells me to go pound sand but It's hard to swallow I don't want to lose globe but I dont want to be taken advantage of either. What would you guys do ?? Thanks !!

Pete
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
appears all you can do is talk too who quoted shipping price from the auction house... cool

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My father always told me. If it isn't in writing it doesn't matter. Maybe try to refuse paying the invoice. If they are trying to squeeze an extra 80.00 out of you they will probably go ahead and do it for what was quoted to keep the deal going. If not, I guess you might just have to pay it if you really want it.

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I would do that "play hard ball" Brian, however the auction house dropped it off at a third party who I never spoke to so they have no reason to deal with me. My card has already been charged for globe, and a third party has my item and will not ship untill paid. Only hope is if auction house agrees to go pick it back up and ship it themselvs at original price, or refunds me 100 to cover my extra expence. Either way I don't think it was right to just drop it off somewhere and say "ship it here and bill this guy" without even calling me !

Pete
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Honestly, that's their problem. If they lied to you about shipping costs and you don't agree to pay that much. You could tell them not to ship it, cancel the payment through your credit card. I mean, what are you supposed to do if you don't have an extra 80 and can't pay for the globe to be shipped? The only way I could see you not being able to stop payment would be if it was made via debit card. I always with a credit card or paypal so I can insure I'm protected in situations like this or if I never receive my purchase. Good luck with that. I realize some auctioneers can be very shady and disappear once they get paid.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is one thing to say that globe will be $80 to ship and that's what I will ship this for. Another thing to say I've done this before and it's never been more than $80 to ship. I think to many assumptions were made by everyone. Everybody heard what they wanted to, without considering what was actually being said.

At the end of the day, if the globe is worth it, then be happy that you are fortunate enough to own it. If had a choice I would rather have another piece in my collection then another $100 in my wallet.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 63shelby
this is a globe I really want and even at $130 in extra charges I'm still into it at a good price

Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
At the end of the day, if the globe is worth it, then be happy that you are fortunate enough to own it. If had a choice I would rather have another piece in my collection then another $100 in my wallet.

...agreed...down the road, you'll be kicking yourself more for missing out on a rare piece you 'really wanted', than you will for spending the extra $100...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with the views, that Dave and Mark have expressed...

In the future you might want to get a more defined "shipping" estimate when dealing, in writing, with that Auction House? And possibly with any others that you don't buy from on a regular basis?

An extra $100 will get spent in a hurry (or atleast it does when I have extra cash) Whereas the pleasure from the globe will last a lifetime, even if it gets sold in the future...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I agree with above comments about having a good piece vs an extra $115 in your pocket....I wouldn't be happy, but I wouldn't refuse/cancel the sale.

Another factor to consider is, what is the true value of safe packaging and arrival of your item? Proper packaging is expensive, materials and time add up - but $195 sounds awfully high to me.

Perhaps you can ask the packaging company to break down the costs for you to shed some light on their charges - then talk to auction company and see if perhaps you can't agree to split the difference about $80 given the miscommunication? Good luck.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I guess maybe I didn't read your post thoroughly enough. I was under the impression you had made your mind up and were looking for a way to squash the deal and get your money back. If your still on the fence. I concur with previous comments. If you want it, try to talk to them and see if they can help. If not, just eat the extra.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I shipped a globe and valued it at $6000 and shipping was only $118 plus $25 in boxes and materials.

That is crazy high but boxes and insurance and are they charging you hourly rate to box it? Did they take it apart? If it gets broke... Will they refund your money right away!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #569458 Fri Sep 19 2014 04:14 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for all the comments guys ! I just needed to be "talked down" a little LOL. I agree a extra $100 bucks to have a nice item in my collection that I've really been wanting isn't a big deal at all...I was never considering trying to cancel the deal I just didn't like being "pushed" into having to pay more. I think the reason it was/is so high is that this is Mom and Pop "specialty" shipping company and they are really taking extra precautions to insure it arrives safe...I guess they have to charge a little more to keep the doors open. I will post photos of item when it arrives as well as packaging job. Thanks again !

Pete

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved